The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

jonoslack

Well,
I'm convinced by this - I've been doing the rounds since I sold my Olympus µ43 gear back in the summer (perhaps a mistake).
Still got the Leica kit, but I always like something else for wildlife and a general perspective.

I've been really fortunate selling stuff on quickly, and also with the extremely helpful WEX photographic

First I bought a Fuji X-T2 and a couple of lenses and took them to Crete along with the Leica CL
Surprisingly I preferred the CL . . so I sold that lot and. .
Then I got a Sony R10iv
Fine, fast and furious and fun but the IQ just wasn't quite there, so next:
A s/h Nikon D810 because I thought I might move up to the D850 -
but I realised that good enough lenses were going to be huge and expensive,
and really I wanted it for nature and wildlife . . . so I got
A Nikon D500 with the kit zoom and an 80-400
which is lovely, but to take advantage of the fast AF you also need the big ff lenses

So now I'm going to get a G9 with the 12-60 and probably the 100-400 (or the 200 f2.8) to go with it.
I still have some of the Zuiko lenses as well.

Now it's just the waiting :watch::watch::watch:

biglouis

Well,

So now I'm going to get a G9 with the 12-60 and probably the 100-400 (or the 200 f2.8) to go with it.

I was informed by my camera store in the UK that the G9s are arriving on Monday and mine will be sent out by courier, arriving Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

I only bought the GH5 because I needed the 255-AF points and the faster continuous autofocus fps. I will have to sell it at a considerable loss (probably) but I am on a quest for the best, lightest wildlife (birding/foxes) kit.

I can thoroughly recommend the 100-400 - initially I was disappointed by it on my GX8 but on the GH5 (and I expect on the G9) it really can shine.

For two years now I have only been using my m43rds kits for my professional needs and for what I do it provides high quality in a system which never strains my back.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well,
I'm convinced by this - I've been doing the rounds since I sold my Olympus µ43 gear back in the summer (perhaps a mistake).
Still got the Leica kit, but I always like something else for wildlife and a general perspective.

I've been really fortunate selling stuff on quickly, and also with the extremely helpful WEX photographic

First I bought a Fuji X-T2 and a couple of lenses and took them to Crete along with the Leica CL
Then I got a Sony R10iv
which is lovely, but to take advantage of the fast AF you also need the big ff lenses

Jono,

not sure if the G9 will fit your needs, but it makes up definitely for a perfect travel and wildlife system.

Looking forward to your photos,

all the best

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Long term I will probably buy both the GH5 and the G9 to get the best of both video and stills. From a tactical point of view, I should probably start with a used GH5 since I suspect there will be some for sale when some change to the G9. We'll see. I have time.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Long term I will probably buy both the GH5 and the G9 to get the best of both video and stills. From a tactical point of view, I should probably start with a used GH5 since I suspect there will be some for sale when some change to the G9. We'll see. I have time.
This seems to be a good strategy, I think there will be a lot used GH5 on the market pretty soon.

Anyway - with the camera product cycles we are seeing today (and I fear they will become even shorter), a GH6 and G10 will be out in 2 - 3 years, so then you could also get a used G9 ....

Just my 5c

biglouis

I should probably start with a used GH5 since I suspect there will be some for sale when some change to the G9. We'll see. I have time.
This seems to be a good strategy, I think there will be a lot used GH5 on the market pretty soon.
LOL!

Yes, mine!

I really will not be able to justify having both the GH5 and the G9. I've never even taken a video with the GH5.

Clearly, the G9 is the camera that was designed for stills wildlife photographers like myself.

I find the GH5 so bulky that for urban work for my books I still use my GX8. Having handled the G9, that might actually change but for what it is worth s/h, keeping my GX8 as a backup body is a no brainer.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
LOL!

Yes, mine!

I really will not be able to justify having both the GH5 and the G9. I've never even taken a video with the GH5.

Clearly, the G9 is the camera that was designed for stills wildlife photographers like myself.

I find the GH5 so bulky that for urban work for my books I still use my GX8. Having handled the G9, that might actually change but for what it is worth s/h, keeping my GX8 as a backup body is a no brainer.
Yes, there's no point selling the GX8. It's very low value now. I think it would be easier to sell my GM5 :)

SrMphoto

Well,

Then I got a Sony R10iv

D500 with Nikkor 200-500 is hard to beat for wildlife (do not like the 80-400). From reading forums and reviews 100-400 may not be that sharp, 200/2.8 should be much better.
I still own M1m2 but no m43 long lenses for wildlife, as I do not trust mirrorless for wildlife ... yet. The 300/f4 is tempting, but so is G9 and 200/f2.8.
DPReviews has some early evaluation of G9's AF-C system and it does not look good. On the other hand, it's dpreview ;-).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
D500 with Nikkor 200-500 is hard to beat for wildlife (do not like the 80-400). From reading forums and reviews 100-400 may not be that sharp, 200/2.8 should be much better.
I still own M1m2 but no m43 long lenses for wildlife, as I do not trust mirrorless for wildlife ... yet. The 300/f4 is tempting, but so is G9 and 200/f2.8.
DPReviews has some early evaluation of G9's AF-C system and it does not look good. On the other hand, it's dpreview ;-).
That whole dpreview field test had an odour that I didn't like. I don't know what it is, but I think there will be better tests coming. I also noticed that they mentioned something about another focus test they had done, yet to be published, where it apparently scored very high.

As for the Nikkor 200-500, it's indeed a very sharp lens. However, I also find it rather boring, with a rather flat rendering of all subjects. In addition, it's huge, and not something I enjoyed travelling with to put it mildly, but that may not have been the purpose of that lens :)

biglouis

I wish I was young enough to be able to comfortably hoist both the D500 and the 200-500 up to my eye. Combined they weigh 3.16Kg.

For now I'm sticking with a GH5/G9 and the 100-400 which weighs in at 1.6/1.7Kg.

My excuse is that my back is at the beginning of its seventh decade of service.

LouisB