Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Panasonic G9

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panasonic G9

This looks like a useful piece of kit for shooters on the go. Since it's a USB charger, I suppose it can be used with a power bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Newmowa-Charg.../dp/B00QPOYECU

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I'm sure they'll be happy to trade your G85 for a shiny new G9. C'mon, Gary - you know you want one ...
    Yes, they would, but I'm happy with the performance of the G85 for the less demanding type of photos I typically take. The closest I ever come to needing high FPS and AF tracking etc is on the rare times when I get to shoot motorsports. I'm confident the G85 will do a better job at this than my GH3, which already performed better than I expected.

However, I did LOVE the view thru that G9 EVF!

Gary
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    This looks like a useful piece of kit for shooters on the go. Since it's a USB charger, I suppose it can be used with a power bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Newmowa-Charg.../dp/B00QPOYECU
    HI Jorgen

The charger which comes with the camera is tiny . . and charges from USB, and of course you can use a battery bank either to charge the battery via the charger . . or else power the camera directly (as I understand it).

best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Jorgen

The charger which comes with the camera is tiny . . and charges from USB, and of course you can use a battery bank either to charge the battery via the charger . . or else power the camera directly (as I understand it).

best
    Ah... of course Jono, i forgot about that. So the device I lonked to is better suited for GH5 owners then. I don't think the GH5 has a USB charger.

The charger I linked to does charge two batteries though. Usful for those who use the camera for events etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I still can't get over how damn good the G9 is. This may sound like heresy but I sold my Leica Q to afford to buy both the G9 and the Lumix 200/2.8. With results like these I think I made the right choice. Here are three portraits of our cat 'Victor' (who turned up at our back door one day determined we should adopt him and after several weeks of trying to return him to his owner and failing, we gave in and he stayed!).

I still don't get it. Should a sensor this small give results this good? I think some of it is down to the lens themselves.

iso200 25mm f1.4 1/125 (Lumix Leica 25/1.4 Summilux)

iso200 20mm f1.7 1/80 (Lumix G 20/1.7 - to my mind a Summicron by another name)

iso800 80mm f2.8 1/80 (Lumix G Varion 35-100/2.8 - a seriously good lens)
    -----
    My new book "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For moment there, I thought I saw some cat photos
    No no no no no no no... that can't be true. After all I've read about the G9, I refuse to believe that it takes cat photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I still can't get over how damn good the G9 is. This may sound like heresy but I sold my Leica Q to afford to buy both the G9 and the Lumix 200/2.8. With results like these I think I made the right choice. Here are three portraits of our cat 'Victor' (who turned up at our back door one day determined we should adopt him and after several weeks of trying to return him to his owner and failing, we gave in and he stayed!).

I still don't get it. Should a sensor this small give results this good? I think some of it is down to the lens themselves.

<snip>
    Very funny to think that you have adopted Victor, where it is actually the other way around :-).
    Lumix G 20/1.7 is quite nice, though it does not work with AF-C and focuses a tad slow.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot is due to the lenses used - as well as the color the G9 draws. Both is very favourable to my mind and while I really like Olympus colours, I think the PanaLeica combos with the G9 are even better and more natural. Maybe also a result to the micro contrast recorded. I more than like what I see, which makes it very hard to resist switching

Just my 5c!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    Very funny to think that you have adopted Victor, where it is actually the other way around :-).
    Lumix G 20/1.7 is quite nice, though it does not work with AF-C and focuses a tad slow.
    Yes, it is a drawback but I like the lens so much I am willing to use it for portrait and landscape work where speed is not essential. For the price they go for secondhand they are an absolute steal, imho.

I owned the 15/1.7 for a couple of weeks but I thought it inferior to the 20/1.7 and sold it!

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is a drawback but I like the lens so much I am willing to use it for portrait and landscape work where speed is not essential. For the price they go for secondhand they are an absolute steal, imho.

I owned the 15/1.7 for a couple of weeks but I thought it inferior to the 20/1.7 and sold it!

LouisB
    Huh!? Inferior!? I beg to differ !
    On center it is perhaps not as 'good' as the 20/1.7, according to Lenstip that is, but certainly not inferior.
    Although the people from DxO (fwiw) think it does pretty well (see list below, sorted by sharpness on the EM1-II).
    Anyway, I know I'm pretty pleased with my copy of the PL 15/1.7, something I couldn't say of my copy of the PL 100-400.
    QA/QC is IMO Panasonic's Achilles' heel ...

@Jono: see that lens on top of the list ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 20.46.31.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	132126  
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LouisB
    The most interesting aspect when looking at the two first photos of your orange friend is how much better the 25mm is than the 20mm. Not that it was a secret to start with, but it's nice to have it confirmed once again.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh!? Inferior!? I beg to differ !
    On center it is perhaps not as 'good' as the 20/1.7, according to Lenstip that is, but certainly not inferior.
    Could be me. I shot with it a lot trying to like it but the colours and sharpness seemed a bit 'thin', is the only way I can describe it. A bit washed out. I kept expecting great things but it never delivered.

Does that make me a bad person (he-he)?

The most interesting aspect when looking at the two first photos of your orange friend is how much better the 25mm is than the 20mm. Not that it was a secret to start with, but it's nice to have it confirmed once again.
    I completely agree. The 25mm is so sharp even wide open. Unbelievable. And nice and constrasty, if you like that. These are from 2011 with my now dear departed GH2.

Panasonic GH2, 25mm iso160 f1.4 1/2500

100% crop of sunglasses - wide frickin' open!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be me. I shot with it a lot trying to like it but the colours and sharpness seemed a bit 'thin', is the only way I can describe it. A bit washed out. I kept expecting great things but it never delivered.

Does that make me a bad person (he-he)?
    Nah - of course not, Louis. I just refuse to believe the 15/1.7 feels 'inferior' to the 20/1.7

As I'm still waiting for PhaseOne to support the G9 and therefore can't edit the G9 RAWs, so I only have more or less SooC JPEGs to show for.
    I've posted a few shots in the regular 4/3rds thread a while back and just added a couple more.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah - of course not, Louis. I just refuse to believe the 15/1.7 feels 'inferior' to the 20/1.7

As I'm still waiting for PhaseOne to support the G9 and therefore can't edit the G9 RAWs, so I only have more or less SooC JPEGs to show for.
    I've posted a few shots in the regular 4/3rds thread a while back and just added a couple more.

Kind regards.
    Hi Bart, why not try Iridient Developer 3.2.1 for the basic conversion of the raw files?
    I don't have a G9, so have not tried its files.
    However Iridient Developer typically is among the first to support a new camera.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Bart, why not try Iridient Developer 3.2.1 for the basic conversion of the raw files?
    I don't have a G9, so have not tried its files.
    However Iridient Developer typically is among the first to support a new camera.
    They do support the G9, but hey - being Dutch - that's another 87 euries ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

They do support the G9, but hey - being Dutch - that's another 87 euries ...
    Well Bart, myself not being Dutch, I have no comment on that part.

I got into Iridient before they added Developer to its name for the OM-D E-M5 Mark II when no one else supported its high resolution raw files. I found Iridient to be a superb tool for processing raw files, on par with C1.

Iridient Developer is also well integrated with CS6 and Nik that I use to finish the .tif files from Iridient or C1. Although C1 is my primary developing tool, I still use Iridient Developer now and then. Its UI is fairly straight forward and easy to master.

Nik seems best to remove noise in the smooth and featureless part of an image. It’s also great for B&W conversions. YMMV.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 5th February 2018 at 09:52.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be me. I shot with it a lot trying to like it but the colours and sharpness seemed a bit 'thin', is the only way I can describe it.
    I completely agree. The 25mm is so sharp even wide open. Unbelievable. And nice and constrasty, if you like that.
    Heck, now I've bounced back'n'forth over these images --with occasional stop at the 35-100/2.8's-- and wonder what is "much better" ?! I can see how one might favor the more blurred background of the 25; the rest looks pretty equal to me (but the cat moved). The 20 does have more light in the frame ... .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drofnad View Post
    Heck, now I've bounced back'n'forth over these images --with occasional stop at the 35-100/2.8's-- and wonder what is "much better" ?! I can see how one might favor the more blurred background of the 25; the rest looks pretty equal to me (but the cat moved). The 20 does have more light in the frame ... .

what was it about beauty and the beholder ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

what was it about beauty and the beholder ?
    Oh, that I think was about "the 15/1.7 [is] inferior to the 20/1.7" & "I beg to differ!".

Or maybe it's another sense:
    while we can behold two images,
    only the (physical) lens is something someone be holdin' on to,
    and the brand something one may be beholden to.

YMMV,
    (-;

Post Thanks / Like

Finally - the Olympus Em1.2 is holding up nicely against the G9

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/49...s-om-d-e-m1-ii

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Finally - the Olympus Em1.2 is holding up nicely against the G9

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/49...s-om-d-e-m1-ii
    Mmm, the good people from DPReview seem to suggest otherwise. Anyway, I like them both ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mmm, the good people from DPReview seem to suggest otherwise. Anyway, I like them both ...
    I thought so too . . . The G9 wins on every panal . . And then they say the olympus is best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I thought so too . . . The G9 wins on every panal . . And then they say the olympus is best
    It looks as if they decided before they even laid their hands on one... Panasonic is not for photographers

The dpr comparison looks like one of the classic Ken Rockwell reviews, those he did without having seen or touched the camera. That, or a computer generated comparison based on the spec sheets of the two cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Die Wahrheit liegt im Auge des Betrachters

Anyway - I will not again have two parallel systems ...
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Die Wahrheit liegt im Auge des Betrachters
    Schon richtig so.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ptomsu;751361Anyway - I will not again have two parallel systems ... [/QUOTE]

No parallel two MFT systems for me either.
    But I will keep adding to my Olympus and Sony systems.
    I donít plan on getting another Leica or Nikon camera though.
    But will continue to use those Leica and Nikon lenses.
    I am still considering to add the AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E for use with my Sony A9.
    Itís a rather unique lens that adapted to the A9 works with Eye-AF.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    No parallel two MFT systems for me either.
    But I will keep adding to my Olympus and Sony systems.
    I donít plan on getting another Leica or Nikon camera though.
    But will continue to use those Leica and Nikon lenses.
    I am still considering to add the AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E for use with my Sony A9.
    Itís a rather unique lens that adapted to the A9 works with Eye-AF.
    Exactly right - no two parallel m43 systems I should have said!

WRT Nikon, I can hardly see to go back into Nikon DSLR anytime (well never ay never again ), but I am waiting leg free first row to see what the Nikon FF mirrorless system will be. If that is going to be great then why not build this up together with the native Nikon mirrorless FF lenses.

BUT - if I would already be invested in Sony FF I would also not consider a parallel FF mirrorless Nikon system and just stay with Sony. Actually if the Nikon mirrorless FF does not become to my liking, I always can go the Sony route - that all will pan out within the next year - so I am in no hurry and can wait.

For Leica - I still kept all my M lenses (14) already adapted with coding and am on the fence for an M10 to make best use of them. An alternative would be the SL, but this one kills somehow the compactness and sense of M lenses and I also expect that the SL2 is just around the corner (PK 2018).

Great time to be on the fence

Post Thanks / Like

Interview with the Panasonic G9 developers: ďif necessary we will consider using new sensor formatsĒ

https://www.43rumors.com/interview-p...ensor-formats/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix G9 is still quite new and there are very few sensor measurements out there (none in "Photons to Photos" or DXOmarks). IMO, those measurements are not that important anyway, but I still read them (especially the ones in "Photons to Photos").

I found dynamic range and signal-to-noise graphs on DCW, comparing G9, M1mII, a6500, Nikon D500, Nikon D7500, and Fuji X-T20. G9 did well on those:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/r...a6500-review/4
    https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/r...ix-g9-review/4
    Last edited by SrMphoto; 22nd February 2018 at 19:09.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The G85 was a a big step up from my GH3. The G9 I bought today from a friend seems likely to take it up another notch or two. I'll see in the the next few days and post some photos here.

I certainly wasn't planning to get a G9 so soon after buying the G85, but some deals are just too good to pass up. This was certainly one of them.

Gary
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You won't be sorry, Gary.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You won't be sorry, Gary.
    As much as I really like the G85 and I hate to part with it, it certainly doesn't make sense to keep both cameras. When I made prints recently of the two cropped images of the ducks I took with the G85 and 100-300 II lens, I wished I had more resolution to make prints bigger than 11x14 inches. Substantially cropped 16mp images doesn't leave me with enough resolution to comfortably make 13x19 inch prints.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    As much as I really like the G85 and I hate to part with it, it certainly doesn't make sense to keep both cameras.
    !? Why not? Currently I'm typing with a Gx7+35-100 & also E-M5.1 + 12-40 around me, and both were used in walking out to the grocery (and doing my usual collection of rusty metal bits for Found Objects art for various artist friends; ah, and learning that it's a brake "backing plate" that are wonderful rusty bits!). As I've whined before, swapping lenses back'n'forth just doesn't cut it w/me --one could here suggest the 12-100/4, of course; then I'd cite the waiting 7-14/4 not w/me! And 4mpx doesn't seem much difference, really. Sure, one can press boundaries, but ... . .:. Put the wider lens on the G85 & leave the possible extension - of - range - by - cropping go with the telephoto?!

-d.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drofnad View Post
    !? Why not? Currently I'm typing with a Gx7+35-100 & also E-M5.1 + 12-40 around me, and both were used in walking out to the grocery (and doing my usual collection of rusty metal bits for Found Objects art for various artist friends; ah, and learning that it's a brake "backing plate" that are wonderful rusty bits!). As I've whined before, swapping lenses back'n'forth just doesn't cut it w/me --one could here suggest the 12-100/4, of course; then I'd cite the waiting 7-14/4 not w/me! And 4mpx doesn't seem much difference, really. Sure, one can press boundaries, but ... . .:. Put the wider lens on the G85 & leave the possible extension - of - range - by - cropping go with the telephoto?!

-d.
    I don't like to swap lenses either D and that is one reason why...

In the MFT format alone, I have a G1, GH3, 2 GX8s, EM1.1, G85 and now the G9. In total, at last count (1 year ago), I have over 70 digital and film cameras in nearly every format and system smaller than 5x7 film. God only knows how many lenses I have.

My wife says it might be time (or even past time), to start slowing down.

That said, once I have a camera or lens, it is really, really hard for me to part with it. I suppose that is just re-stating the obvious.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are no cats in our house any more, so I've had to make do with a picture of our dog Bonnie (a 12 year old Cairn terrier).

She is not very happy about having her picture taken (again) while she was trying to nap.

I really like the size of the G9 with battery grip.

G9, 35-100/2.8 lens at 100, ISO 3200, 1/50th at f2.8. BW conversion with SilverEfex Pro.
    Last edited by bensonga; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:33.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yippee! Finally, Capture One 11.1 is supporting the G9 !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 20.13.18.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	133721  
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Yippee! Finally, Capture One 11.1 is supporting the G9 !
    Great news, I already upgraded, but must say that meanwhile I am almost always using LR CC, as it has so many advantages for me and allows much more delicious profiles than C1 can only dream of ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post

I have over 70 digital and film cameras in nearly every format and system smaller than 5x7 film. God only knows how many lenses I have.
    Did you get the Ark to go with them? (think "Noah")
    Thanks,
    -d.