The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

hot

I'll NEVER change my GX80 for G9, bigger, heavy, 4x price
- G9 also only can make photos :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That did make me 'lol'. Good advice, Peter. Fortunately, there is an open day with Panasonic products next week at my local camera shop, so hopefully I can take a look. I also have an offer to take a loan of a 300/4 for three days but I'm trying to find a period where there may be some sunshine so I can hike to my favourite birding spot and give it a good trial.

Even with a TC the 200/2.8 has less reach than the 300/4.

The only thing I will say based on the experience of using Leica products for many years is this. With each new Leica product you wonder if they have got it wrong. The camera or the lens always seems to be slightly different to the competition. Then after a while you realise that the thinking was a lot deeper than just following the competition.

So, why a 200 f2.8 when clearly a 300/4 would compete with the Oly. Then you think: it is easier to 'up' the reach of 200 with TCs but you can't down the reach of a fixed 300 or reduce the aperture by a stop.

LouisB
Just to make things more complicated, there is a new Leica 50-200/2.8-4 under development :cool::clap:

https://www.43rumors.com/leica-50-200mm-lens-will-released-2018/

I am slowly coming into my dream land with m43 :thumbs:

And Olympus hopefully starts to wake up ...

Elderly

Just to make things more complicated, there is a new Leica 50-200/2.8-4 under development :cool::clap:

I am slowly coming into my dream land with m43 :thumbs:

And Olympus hopefully starts to wake up ...
More of a nightmare for me :banghead:

a PL 12-60 twinned with a PL 50-200 would probably be a preferable travel pairing
to my existing Olympus 12-100 Pro and 40-150 Pro :thumbs:

But then I'd have to change my EM1 Mk2 for a G9 :scry:

SrMphoto

More of a nightmare for me :banghead:

a PL 12-60 twinned with a PL 50-200 would probably be a preferable travel pairing
to my existing Olympus 12-100 Pro and 40-150 Pro :thumbs:

But then I'd have to change my EM1 Mk2 for a G9 :scry:
I think that the optimal Olympus pairing would be 12-40 with 40-150, while 12-100 is a great single lens system. Why would PL 12-60 with PL 50-200 be a preferable travel pairing?

hot

I am slowly coming into my dream land with m43
Within last years I had Sony, Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Samsung aaaand Lumixes (from GH1, GH4, G1, G3, G5 ...).
All of them with x-thousands :) of lenses ... fitting each camera!

Last year (it took long time) I found: LUMIXes are best! (and my NX500 with 28mpixel, 4K) with lenses from 6.5mm to 500mm

If Pana doesn't invent a GX90 with hundreds of (essential!?)non-plus-ultras for
less then $ 999 ... I am very satisfied.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think that the optimal Olympus pairing would be 12-40 with 40-150, while 12-100 is a great single lens system. Why would PL 12-60 with PL 50-200 be a preferable travel pairing?
While the optimal Olympus lens pairing for travel is for sure either the 12-100 as a single lens setup or the 12-40 and 40-150, the PL 12-60 and PL 50-200 would give you a reach to 400mm effective focal length and I assume in a lighter and smaller setup than with the Oly pairing, which offers instead a constant 2.8 aperture.

So there a pro's and con's for both and I think I might end up with both systems :banghead: in order to be able to choose the best combo for slightly different outings (travels).

SrMphoto

While the optimal Olympus lens pairing for travel is for sure either the 12-100 as a single lens setup or the 12-40 and 40-150, the PL 12-60 and PL 50-200 would give you a reach to 400mm effective focal length and I assume in a lighter and smaller setup than with the Oly pairing, which offers instead a constant 2.8 aperture.

So there a pro's and con's for both and I think I might end up with both systems :banghead: in order to be able to choose the best combo for slightly different outings (travels).
Which is the PL 50-200? I see a PL 45-200/f4-5.6, which is not of professional designation, and probably not that superb. For traveling, and assuming that 12-100mm is enough coverage, I may rather go with PL 12-35/f2.8 and PL 35-100/f2.8. Less than 100g heavier than Olympus 12-100 but at f2.8 instead of f4 ... and much lighter than Olympus 12-40/40-150 combo.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Which is the PL 50-200? I see a PL 45-200/f4-5.6, which is not of professional designation, and probably not that superb. For traveling, and assuming that 12-100mm is enough coverage, I may rather go with PL 12-35/f2.8 and PL 35-100/f2.8. Less than 100g heavier than Olympus 12-100 but at f2.8 instead of f4 ... and much lighter than Olympus 12-40/40-150 combo.
Have a look on this link, that I already posted before and you will see the DG 50-200/2.8-4 ....

k-hawinkler

For the time being I'll stick with my E-M1.2 to take advantage of my FT lenses that require PDAF support. :grin:

Olympus E-M1MarkII + EC-20 2x TC + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 600.0 mm (600.0 mm in 35mm), FOV (1200.0 mm = 120 cm = 1.2 m in 35mm), APERTURE f/6.3, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00156s (1/640).

Not bad, not bad at all, considering a 2x TC is in the loop! :thumbs: :clap:

Last edited:

Elderly

I had the 12-40 and 40-150 pairing.

However, for MY style of photography which is almost never considered, and usually attempts to capture a fleeting moment, 40 mm was often not long enough.
That meant a lot of lens changing - by which time the moment had passed.

For my daily journeys a one lens solution is all I want to carry,
and again 40 mm was not long enough.

Since I've had the 12-100, the 40-150 gets less use and so it's become a large heavy lump to carry about
for only the occasional use (I went into micro 4/3rds in 2009 for its portability).

The 12-60 is smaller/lighter/faster than the 12-100, but with the lack of the former's reach,
but 60 at the long end would (I think :rolleyes:) suffice for the majority of my shots.

The forthcoming PL 50-200 I would HOPE, be lighter than my 40-150 and I feel that the
extra reach might come in useful.

hot

Yeah ... ough ..

Canon 1DX II - 20 Mpixel
body € 6.300
400mm/2.8 equal 400mm € 10.099
total € 16.399

Lumix GH5 - 20 Mpixel
body € 1.750
200mm + 1.4x equal 400mm/560mm € 2.999
total € 4.749

biglouis

Panasonic G9 and 200/2.8 test image

I had a fun morning today. Park Cameras were hosting a day with Panasonic at their London shop so I popped down to check out the G9 and the 200/2.8.

Firstly, the G9. I really like the feel of the camera. I thought I wouldn't because I am not a great fan of big grips but it fits really nicely in my average sized hands. I've always felt the GH5 has stretched my hand but the G9 does not. I think it is because the width of the camera body itself is thinner. I was able to compare in weight the G9 and GH5 both with the 12-60 lens on them and it surprising how much lighter the G9 feels - even though it is only 100g lighter. It feels less dense - I feel I can hammer in nails with the GH5. The G9 actually more reminds me of my GH2 (if anyone can remember that body). I thought I would not like the twin metering/shooting mode dial on the left but it is soon forgotten. The only thing I miss is the additional function button behind the three top plate buttons which is not on the G9. The Panasonic rep fully understood my point that the placing of the playback button on the left of the body (it is on the right near your thumb on the GX8) is not very useful.

There are some things with the G9 I was not aware of (or just did not take in) but the most convenient is a button on the front of the body you can use to 'punch-in' focus, even in AF, to magnify the focus point. The rep also showed how the firmware allows you to step through the 'pre-burst' - which operates in RAW - to take out the frames you want.

It is clear that Panasonic have put a lot of thought into this camera. I know all manufacturers say the same but I can really believe it having played with the camera. The GH5 feels like a top quality pro body like a D5. The G9 feels more like a prosumer body like the D850. That is not a criticism. I think it is just the fact that it is not the same solid lump as the GH5 - and from my point of view that is a distinct benefit as I search for the ultimate light high performance camera for bird photography.

At present I do not tend to take the GH5 with me when I do urban photography. It is is too heavy. But I am fairly sure I would not feel the same way about the G9.

I can't honestly say I noticed that the viewfinder or back screen were better than the GH5 but I have been a convert to EVFs since my GH2. In fact, for me, the OVF is dead. Except for a film camera, I'll never own a digital camera again that does not have an EVF. Looking back on the experience, though the fact that the EVF made no impression on me is probably a good thing because in effect I was immediately comfortable with it and it was so high quality I did not even think twice about using the viewfinder.

Having probably hooked me on the camera the rep then reeled me in with the Leica 200/2.8, which she claimed was only one of 3 in the country(!). This is a fine looking optic. It is a very nice size - pretty much the same as 100-400 when closed up. It feels good on the camera. I used it with and without the 1.4x converter. From what I was able to see of the results the IQ was identical even with the teleconverter.

I was allowed to take the combination out into the street to do some test shots with my own card - which was very kind. The rep was happy for me to share the result but with the proviso that I make it clear that both the camera and lens are on their pre-launch firmware and not final. LR does not yet support the raw format of the camera so the sample below is a jpeg straight out of the camera using the 1.4 converter. The subject was about 15-20 feet from me. You can click through to the full sized jpeg. If there is anything wrong with the photo - it is me and not the camera/lens.

Bottom line, I am now considerably poorer. I caved and pre-ordered both the body and the 200/2.8. I am not a man of infinite means so I have to sell various bits of kit to pay for it (although I will keep the GH5 until I get the G9 and then sell it). According to the store the lens will be available in December but I will have to wait until the end of January for the G9.

iso800 280mm f4.0 1/400 - Aperture priority mode, spot metering. - check out the tiny hairs on the top of his ear and the scales on the skin between the fingers of the hand holding the phone.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
LouisB,

many thanks for your thoughts and feelings about that G9. I am fully with you that digital cameras without EVF are meanwhile a no go for me. And here comes one of the biggest concerns I have in the moment as the EVF of my EM1.2, while great, is for sure not up to the EVFs of the G9 and GH5. While for some this is no concern, for me it is - and actually a big one.

Second, the meanwhile available Panasonic Leica DG lens lineup matches my preferred focal length and zooms better than the Olympus Pro lineup. I would not even start to compare IQ of both lineups, as I am confident they are both pretty equal, but bottom line for me is that currently the PanaLeica DG lineup is suiting my needs better, especially with the new 2.8/300 and the upcoming 50-200 lenses. And the 100-400 and 12-60 are very tempting, especially in combination with a G9 body! Also the Nocticron is more to my taste than the Olympus 1.2/45, especially as it has a dedicated aperture ring, same for the Leica DG 15. Unfortunately Panasonic and Leica are not fully compatible with all features and possibilities WRT AF and Dual IS - which is a shame. I would love to be able to use my Olympus Pro 4/300 similar way on a Panasonic G9 body as on the Olympus Em1.2.

So hard times for me here - I am still not up for switching systems completely again, but pretty close. At least for me Panasonic has really hit the sweet spot this time making hard to resisting this camera. And I do not want to start again with 2 systems, although both would be m43 .... :banghead:

All the best

Peter

biglouis

Peter

I fully understand where you are coming from. Although I do own the Olympus 7-14/2.8 I have consistently purchased Lumix lenses to go with my Panasonic cameras entirely for the sake of compatibility.

I bought the 7-14/2.8 before the 8-18 was announced but were I to make the purchase decision today I would go with the 8-18 for complete compatibility, even though I suspect that the 7-14 is a superior lens. I am even feeling some pressure to consider trading in the 7-14 against the 8-18 for the sake of compatibilty.

Now, it is a shame that within the m43rds ecosystem incompatibilities exist because really they shouldn't. The Oly 12-100 makes far more sense as a travel lens that the Leica 12-60. The 200/2.8 might be a more versatile lens than the 300/4 for some people. The Nokton, as you say, is a very special lens as is the Lumix 12/1.4. The Pro Olympus lenses are very high quality products and in some areas offer better performance than the Lumix ones. And then it is very exiciting that Simga are beginning to produce lens for m43rds (let alone the existing Voigtlander and Laowa offerings).

The bodies really should be irrelevant, except for format, ergonomics, additional software features. But the body lens interraction should be identical.

If Panasonic really do listen to their users I hope that at some point they will work with Oly (and others) to bring much more closer compatibility. I know from my own marketing experience in joint ventures that this often leads to an expansion in sales for both companies.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Peter

I fully understand where you are coming from. Although I do own the Olympus 7-14/2.8 I have consistently purchased Lumix lenses to go with my Panasonic cameras entirely for the sake of compatibility.

I bought the 7-14/2.8 before the 8-18 was announced but were I to make the purchase decision today I would go with the 8-18 for complete compatibility, even though I suspect that the 7-14 is a superior lens. I am even feeling some pressure to consider trading in the 7-14 against the 8-18 for the sake of compatibilty.

Now, it is a shame that within the m43rds ecosystem incompatibilities exist because really they shouldn't. The Oly 12-100 makes far more sense as a travel lens that the Leica 12-60. The 200/2.8 might be a more versatile lens than the 300/4 for some people. The Nokton, as you say, is a very special lens as is the Lumix 12/1.4. The Pro Olympus lenses are very high quality products and in some areas offer better performance than the Lumix ones. And then it is very exiciting that Simga are beginning to produce lens for m43rds (let alone the existing Voigtlander and Laowa offerings).

The bodies really should be irrelevant, except for format, ergonomics, additional software features. But the body lens interraction should be identical.

If Panasonic really do listen to their users I hope that at some point they will work with Oly (and others) to bring much more closer compatibility. I know from my own marketing experience in joint ventures that this often leads to an expansion in sales for both companies.

LouisB
Interesting viewpoints. I too mostly prefer Panasonic lenses on my Panasonic cameras, but mostly because I like how they render better than the Olympus lenses. Still, the Zuiko 75mm (and Samyang 50mm f/1.2) will from now on take the place of the Panasonic 35-100mm which I sell.

With regards to the Zuiko 12-100mm:
A friend of mine, who was an Olympus user for years, is now buying his second G85 with PL 12-60mm (his son stole the first one and refuses to give it back :wtf: :ROTFL: ). There are several reason for this:

- The E-M1 II is the only Olympus that offers a grip for "real hands" like the one on the G85, and the Panasonic is half the price.
- The 12-60mm is much lighter, much smaller and much cheaper than the Zuiko 12-100mm, and it's a stop faster at the short end.

Instead of paying $3,500 for 1,135 gram of camera, he pays $2,000 for 825 gram, and for his kind of photography, the shorter reach is not a problem.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#692.613,689.625,ha,t