The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

Elderly

Ah... but the 75mm is not a macro lens, it's a medium telephoto, an exceptional lens. It's only 300g. Not bad for 150mm eqv. reach :)
Sorry, I either didn't make myself clear :eek: or maybe you misunderstood :shocked:.

I realise the 75 is not a macro lens and so taking a macro too (to photograph the insects that might bite me :p) would mean taking a fourth lens to be burdened by :scry:.

biglouis

I’m with Jorgen - wonderful lens . . (Why the hell did I sell it). At least now, when I get another one, it’ll be black.

. . More cheerfully - just back from WEX - battery charging. G9 does not seem too big, but is a lovely piece of kit - as are the 12-60 and the 100-400 I think it’s my first ever actual Panasonic body. I’m impressed!
Same here. As I have a GH5 I could get right into it with the G9 by popping my spare battery into it. It feels very good in the hand. Reminds me a lot of the D700 I use to have - which I could hold by the grip - and the grip itself has a lovely textured covering - a lot less slippery than the GH5. Although I played with one a couple of months ago at an event, I had forgotten that the G9 really feels like a 'photographers' camera and not a 'videographers' camera. It is definitely smaller and lighter, too.

The weather here in London is dreadful so all I've shot is a few frames of the cat, which are not worth sharing. The weather gets better over the next couple of days, so I'll be off out and testing the IQ with a couple of lenses.

LouisB

PS The other thing Panasonic have learned from Leica is design. The camera oozes quality - just like the GH5 - imho.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Same here. As I have a GH5 I could get right into it with the G9 by popping my spare battery into it. It feels very good in the hand. Reminds me a lot of the D700 I use to have - which I could hold by the grip - and the grip itself has a lovely textured covering - a lot less slippery than the GH5. Although I played with one a couple of months ago at an event, I had forgotten that the G9 really feels like a 'photographers' camera and not a 'videographers' camera. It is definitely smaller and lighter, too.

The weather here in London is dreadful so all I've shot is a few frames of the cat, which are not worth sharing. The weather gets better over the next couple of days, so I'll be off out and testing the IQ with a couple of lenses.

LouisB

PS The other thing Panasonic have learned from Leica is design. The camera oozes quality - just like the GH5 - imho.
Louis,

great to hear - looking forward to your test shots.

BTW - cat pictures are a typical sujet we often share here for test purposes - so just don't be shy 👍

Peter

SrMphoto

DPReview has completed their review and complains about EVF 'flutter' in AF-C. I wonder about forum's experience with AF-C. For anyone who knows M1m2 and owns G9, would love to hear about differences .. looking at you, Jono :).

iiiNelson

DPReview has completed their review and complains about EVF 'flutter' in AF-C. I wonder about forum's experience with AF-C. For anyone who knows M1m2 and owns G9, would love to hear about differences .. looking at you, Jono :).
I was just reading that and it seems to be a bit contradictory as they mention despite the “fluttering” the AF hit rate is very good. I understand how it can limit faith in a camera system but if the camera is still accurate it’s sort of a non-issue largely.

jonoslack

Couldn't possibly be as irritating as the aperture 'flutter ' in the Fujifilm (and they didn't even mention that!).

I will have a look, but Continuous AF is not something I use that often.

iiiNelson

Couldn't possibly be as irritating as the aperture 'flutter ' in the Fujifilm (and they didn't even mention that!).

I will have a look, but Continuous AF is not something I use that often.
Slightly OT but which Fujifilm body, lens, firmware combination were you using where you saw lens shutter? I only ask because I’ve been researching their lineup for a possible system switch.

jonoslack

...but dogs are the preferred animal to photograph.
The dogs are looking good! And the combo with the 12-60 seems to be excellent (lovely lens). The 100-400 is a bit limited in the kitchen!

We’re promised another dreadful day tomorrow. Business trip on Thursday, meetings on Friday - looks like it might be the weekend before there’s time for a real test

jonoslack

Slightly OT but which Fujifilm body, lens, firmware combination were you using where you saw lens shutter? I only ask because I’ve been researching their lineup for a possible system switch.
Hi there
X-T2
All lenses - it’s well documented, and Fuji say that it’s intentional, only in Aperture priority I think - half press the shutter (or take a picture) and let go and there’s an impossible flicker as the aperture goes in and out. No problem if you shoot Manual or shutter priority (not sure about Program).

I thought the AF speed was pretty dismal compared to the OMD EM1 ii and the G9 as well (with the 50 f2 and the 16-55? F2.8).

Image quality was okay if you used Iridient, but slow and not very good in LR.

I was expecting to love it (I shot it alongside the Leica CL for a month in Crete, and the Leica was a clear and obvious winner).

iiiNelson

The dogs are looking good! And the combo with the 12-60 seems to be excellent (lovely lens). The 100-400 is a bit limited in the kitchen!

We’re promised another dreadful day tomorrow. Business trip on Thursday, meetings on Friday - looks like it might be the weekend before there’s time for a real test
I’m still trying to convince my wife that we need a dog but she’s not budging right now. Well there’s always cameras and whatnot for now.

iiiNelson

Hi there
X-T2
All lenses - it’s well documented, and Fuji say that it’s intentional, only in Aperture priority I think - half press the shutter (or take a picture) and let go and there’s an impossible flicker as the aperture goes in and out. No problem if you shoot Manual or shutter priority (not sure about Program).

I thought the AF speed was pretty dismal compared to the OMD EM1 ii and the G9 as well (with the 50 f2 and the 16-55? F2.8).

Image quality was okay if you used Iridient, but slow and not very good in LR.

I was expecting to love it (I shot it alongside the Leica CL for a month in Crete, and the Leica was a clear and obvious winner).
Thanks that’s the first I ever heard of it.

It prompted me to do a a quick search and the most recent cases I could find of the issues were from March 2017. It seems to have been firmware corrected in lens and body on the visible tests I’ve found on YouTube with firmware version 3.00 on X-T2 and updated lens profiles. Hopefully it’s a non-issue now but I will at least test in store before buying if that’s the direction I decide on going. So Hanks for raising the issue.

I’ve only ever heard wonderful things about the Fuji AF speed and accuracy from people shooting event style and lowlight photography but maybe it’s worth renting as well to check it out alongside my Sony kit.

I don’t do a lot of pure action or sports shooting but I get on well with the A7RII and it’s supposed to be crap at AF (if you believe all the feedback) according to many so I assume the Fuji X system will be fine. The menu system is very Sony like IMO so that’s not a huge factor to me either. I looked at and went the CDAF only way in the past and while it’s probably ok for the portrait work I do I don’t trust it for moving subject still. I know they’ve improved it a lot the last 2-3 years but I just have uneasy feelings of having to rely on it in lower light. I also dropped Adobe last year so it’s Capture One and Affinity Photo for me. I do have Iridient (and Photo Mechanic) as well but it gets used more as finishing tools for me.

jonoslack

It prompted me to do a a quick search and the most recent cases I could find of the issues were from March 2017. It seems to have been firmware corrected in lens and body on the visible tests I’ve found on YouTube with firmware version 3.00 on X-T2 and updated lens profiles. Hopefully it’s a non-issue now but I will at least test in store before buying if that’s the direction I decide on going. So Hanks for raising the issue.

I’ve only ever heard wonderful things about the Fuji AF speed and accuracy from people shooting event style and lowlight photography but maybe it’s worth renting as well to check it out alongside my Sony kit.

I don’t do a lot of pure action or sports shooting but I get on well with the A7RII and it’s supposed to be crap at AF (if you believe all the feedback) according to many so I assume the Fuji X system will be fine. The menu system is very Sony like IMO so that’s not a huge factor to me either. I looked at and went the CDAF only way in the past and while it’s probably ok for the portrait work I do I don’t trust it for moving subject still. I know they’ve improved it a lot the last 2-3 years but I just have uneasy feelings of having to rely on it in lower light. I also dropped Adobe last year so it’s Capture One and Affinity Photo for me. I do have Iridient (and Photo Mechanic) as well but it gets used more as finishing tools for me.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58332613
It certainly wasn’t fixed at the end of September

My focus issues were with single shot AF, especially in low light

SrMphoto

I have also experienced EVF flickering problems with Fuji X-T20 (latest firmware). It is not impossible to work with, but it sure is annoying. That is why the alleged EVF 'flutter' on G9 got my attention.

I have regular focus-hunting problems with Sony A7rII and 24-70/f2.8 when in AF-C and at f8 or smaller. The problem is that Sony focuses with the working aperture instead of full open aperture. Maybe G9's EVF flutter is caused by aperture opening for focus when focus is about to be lost and then closing again to working aperture. If that is the case the flutter would not appear when wide open. From the description of the issue, it may be fixable by an update (if it's an issue at all).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That was a strange review. They keep listing all the areas where the G9 is superior to the E-M1 II, only to conclude with "Ultimately, we gave the EM-1 II a gold award, but the G9 walks home with a silver. Here's why: though the two are equally competitive, the Panasonic is playing catch-up to a camera released more than a year ago. And just being competitive is not enough to earn our top mark. But it is still certainly worth your consideration."

I get a feeling that since the GH5 received a gold award, and the GH5s probably will too, they can't give too many golds to an outsider company like Panasonic. It's like these "Car of the Year" articles that some motoring magazines have, where the top prizes are always distributed evenly between the large manufacturers :ROTFL:

Oh well... it's the advertisers who pay for the fun, so I guess they should have a saying too. Just don't try to believe that these reviews are unbiased. They rarely are.

Not that I care. I used to be the guy with that Citroën that reviewers warned you about, and the only time I had a Mercedes Benz were when one tipped over in the Swedish moose test. It was a briliant car, at least for me, and I didn't encounter a single moose ;)

iiiNelson

I have also experienced EVF flickering problems with Fuji X-T20 (latest firmware). It is not impossible to work with, but it sure is annoying. That is why the alleged EVF 'flutter' on G9 got my attention.

I have regular focus-hunting problems with Sony A7rII and 24-70/f2.8 when in AF-C and at f8 or smaller. The problem is that Sony focuses with the working aperture instead of full open aperture. Maybe G9's EVF flutter is caused by aperture opening for focus when focus is about to be lost and then closing again to working aperture. If that is the case the flutter would not appear when wide open. From the description of the issue, it may be fixable by an update (if it's an issue at all).
I haven’t experienced those issues in normal shooting conditions for me but then I don’t use the 24-70GM either. The only time I’ve seen pulsating focus is when you dip down to CDAF from PDAF which would be beyond f/8.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Did the boost mode have any effect? Seems weird that some people experience these issues and others don’t or at least aren’t as sensitive to them.
People have different criteria, different ways of taking photos and different tresholds, for instance with regards to sharpness and/or contrast. Then there are problems occuring with certain camera settings that some people use, while others don't. It's like me going bananas of the GX8 shutter shock, even after Panasonic's fix, while Louis, using the same camera, cannot see that there's a problem with his. I hadn't noticed either, for about a year, until by coinsidence I took photos in overcast weather for several weeks, with the camera choosing exposure times right in the middle of the problematic area due to the mediocre lighting.

We've had a few discussions about the A7 in the past, haven't we? Wether it's usable or not :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

We've had a few discussions about the A7 in the past, haven't we? Wether it's usable or not :ROTFL:
Well yeah but you’d admitted to not actually using it at the time if I remember correctly so there’s that.

I’m not saying that I don’t believe Jono,because I do. I’ve seen video evidence on YouTube videos of lens pulsating/oscillating effects but I’ve also seen the same video claim correction through lens/body firmware with video evidence of that as well. I guess whether it’s an issue or not will come down to how bad it actually is and if it can be avoided or if it’s 100% random. If it’s a matter of the camera switching from PDAF to CDAF then I know how to mostly solve that. If it’s a matter of specific lens and body combos then I’d like to know which ones all exhibit the behavior so that I avoid them. I’m primarily most interested in the newer WR primes (16/23/35/50/90) and the Red Badge Zooms (16-55/50-140) for event work.