The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

iiiNelson

Is the XT-2 considered as the major threat to the CL?
No idea but I have zero interest in the CL personally. My options are Fujifilm X/G combo or remain with Sony.

To get back on topic though who has any G9 pics to show?

drofnad

I've been considering the 100-300, but when I owned it some years ago I wasn’t that big a fan ...
In particular the IS appeals to me for longer focal lengths.
But some years ago it wasn't the improved version, right? This conversation got me looking at some B&H comments re that, and this one impresses (and I'm still considering the G85) ... :

I'm using this together with a Lumix G85. With Dual OIS turned on (in body and lens), I can get sharp results at 1/20th, handheld. The lens is also weather sealed. It actually mates tighter than the 12-60 kit lens with the o-ring at the mount. It feels like you get good bang for the buck, even though it's a bit more expensive than the predecessor.
-d.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But some years ago it wasn't the improved version, right? This conversation got me looking at some B&H comments re that, and this one impresses (and I'm still considering the G85) ... :

-d.
I believe the main improvement with the new version is better OIS and the enabling of Dual IS.... and the all important darker colour of course :lecture:

The 100-300mm II should be an interesting lens for the GH5s. I suppose the lower resolution sensor would demand less when it comes to sharpness.

bensonga

I do not agree with ptomsu about the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses. I have never liked zooms until I got these two lenses.

Panasonic have learned a great deal from Leica and it shows in the quality of their lenses.

LouisB
+1 to Louis.

Especially for the 12-35/2.8 which is the lens I enjoy and use most often on my MFT cameras (which includes a GH3, a pair of GX8s, G85 and the Oly EM1.1).

If I could only have 3 Panasonic lenses for my MFT kit (god forbid) they would be the 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8 and 100-300 v2. It is amazing to me that a camera system with quality lenses spanning a focal length range of 24-600mm (in FF35 terms) can be so compact and easy to carry.

Thankfully....I am not limited to those 3 lenses, so I also enjoy using the Oly 75/1.8 etc etc.

Gary

12-35/2.8

35-100/2.8

100-300 v1

jonoslack

Well yeah but you’d admitted to not actually using it at the time if I remember correctly so there’s that.

I’m not saying that I don’t believe Jono,because I do. I’ve seen video evidence on YouTube videos of lens pulsating/oscillating effects but I’ve also seen the same video claim correction through lens/body firmware with video evidence of that as well. I guess whether it’s an issue or not will come down to how bad it actually is and if it can be avoided or if it’s 100% random. If it’s a matter of the camera switching from PDAF to CDAF then I know how to mostly solve that. If it’s a matter of specific lens and body combos then I’d like to know which ones all exhibit the behavior so that I avoid them. I’m primarily most interested in the newer WR primes (16/23/35/50/90) and the Red Badge Zooms (16-55/50-140) for event work.
I was using the new 50 WR and the 16-55 pro zoom, you could get around it by not using A mode, but not otherwise!

biglouis

Jono, one other lens to consider for your G9 is the Lumix Leica 25/1.4 Summilux.

Yes, I know it is cheeky calling it a Summilux but I think you would be seriously impressed with the performance. I use it quite a lot as a portrait lens and the bokeh is wonderful.

My favourite lenses in no particular order are the 12-35, 20/1.7 (a complete Summicron rip-off), 25/1.4 and Elmarit 45/2.8. I wouldn't say the 100-400 is 'my favourite' but as a wildlife lens it is incomparable for its size. The 35-100 is not a favourite but it is a fantastic workhorse and pretty much essential for that reason.

I also own the Olympus 7-14 which is another great workhorse without which I could not create most of my architectural work.

The only lens I have so far been a little less impressed with is the Lumix Leica 15/1.7. I got it as a grey import and I think I may sell it as it really does not outshine the my first gen (ten years old?) Lumix 20/1.7.

BTW, if anyone is interested I am selling my mint, 6 months old GH5, complete boxed etc for GBP1000 cash+delivery.

LouisB

iiiNelson

Jono, one other lens to consider for your G9 is the Lumix Leica 25/1.4 Summilux.

Yes, I know it is cheeky calling it a Summilux but I think you would be seriously impressed with the performance. I use it quite a lot as a portrait lens and the bokeh is wonderful.

My favourite lenses in no particular order are the 12-35, 20/1.7 (a complete Summicron rip-off), 25/1.4 and Elmarit 45/2.8. I wouldn't say the 100-400 is 'my favourite' but as a wildlife lens it is incomparable for its size. The 35-100 is not a favourite but it is a fantastic workhorse and pretty much essential for that reason.

I also own the Olympus 7-14 which is another great workhorse without which I could not create most of my architectural work.

The only lens I have so far been a little less impressed with is the Lumix Leica 15/1.7. I got it as a grey import and I think I may sell it as it really does not outshine the my first gen (ten years old?) Lumix 20/1.7.

BTW, if anyone is interested I am selling my mint, 6 months old GH5, complete boxed etc for GBP1000 cash+delivery.

LouisB
When I was more heavily invested in Micro 4/3 the Panasonic 20mm, 25mm, and 45 Macro were some of my favorites as well. Now the only lens I still have is the 14-45 with my original G1.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've fixed that for you Jørgen :ROTFL:.
If only you knew what dangers we have to face in Pratamnak on a daily basis... swimming pool to cold, swimming pool too warm, out of beer and more than 5 minutes to the nearest shop. The challenges are endless :lecture:

Actually, after I got a day job again a few years ago, I only stay there during weekends. I should change it to Bangsaothong where I spend most weekdays, working hard saving money to buy another camera :scry:

jonoslack

Not old not and not a cynic by any stretch.

Discerning, yes. ;)
Well, I'm not a shill either - I was expecting to embrace the Fuji system, but was driven crazy by something which Fuji say is 'expected behaviour', which is easily repeatable and thoroughly well documented over a long period (apparently it doesn't happen with the X-Pro2). It wasn't an issue specific to my camera or lenses, which I sold to a well known UK wedding photographer who knew about the issue and confirmed that for the way he and his assistant(s) shot it was no problem.

The CL is a great camera (and probably not in direct competition with the Fuji anyway) . . but it has neither IS nor weather sealing, both of which I want for the dreary english weather. . . . . Which is why I'm here (and why I had an Olympus µ43 system before, which in hindsight I shouldn't have sold).

The G9 seems like a keeper, and the 12-60 lens is rather excellent (there hasn't been any light to test the 100-400 properly).

. . and I apologise for calling you old (pot and kettle you know!). HAPPY NEW YEAR young man :)

jonoslack

LouisB
Hi Louis
Thanks for the suggestions
I still have a couple of the Olympus f1.8 primes, but to be honest I didn't buy the G9 to use with primes (although it's going to be difficult to resist the Nocticron). I have my M10 for that, I usually buy a wide zoom (I did have the lovely Olympus 7-14) but then I usually don't use them very much!

It's interesting using the new 'Leica' zooms after 6 months with the TL zooms (11-23, 18-56, 55-135) - they are so very similar in spirit that I'm beginning to believe that the Leica design department really did have some hand in their design (or it could just be the other way around!).

bensonga

just to remind you that :worthless:
Agreed! I tried to get that ball rolling re some of the lenses being discussed, even though not shot with a G9 (since for now at least, I won't be getting one).

I look forward to seeing some G9 pics soon.

Gary

raist3d

Thanks that’s the first I ever heard of it.

It prompted me to do a a quick search and the most recent cases I could find of the issues were from March 2017. It seems to have been firmware corrected in lens and body on the visible tests I’ve found on YouTube with firmware version 3.00 on X-T2 and updated lens profiles. Hopefully it’s a non-issue now but I will at least test in store before buying if that’s the direction I decide on going. So Hanks for raising the issue.
I did a quick check with my X-E3, and I can corroborate the flicker Jono talks about. If you have the camera to do good exposure but not real exposure, it can be a bit more jarring than without but it's there. Depending how far off the normal exposure is from final, it can be more noticeable, or less.

That said, it doesn't bother me but I can understand it could bother someone else (like it does Jono).

I’ve only ever heard wonderful things about the Fuji AF speed and accuracy from people shooting event style and lowlight photography but maybe it’s worth renting as well to check it out alongside my Sony kit.
I find the AF of the X-E3 quite good, even to low light. Definitively better than OMD EM5 MKII and PenF. But the EM1 MKII is a new model and has better AF, so would be good to check.

One thing with Fuji though is AF will vary depending on the lens used. The new smaller primes are faster than say the bigger old primes. Still, to my surprise, I have been able to shoot in CDAF with the XF35 F1.4 which is one of the first three primes/lenses in the system.

I will say though the AF is definitively faster than the Leica CL, though I wouldn't call the Leica CL AF slow per se.

I don’t do a lot of pure action or sports shooting but I get on well with the A7RII and it’s supposed to be crap at AF (if you believe all the feedback) according to many so I assume the Fuji X system will be fine. The menu system is very Sony like IMO so that’s not a huge factor to me either. I looked at and went the CDAF only way in the past and while it’s probably ok for the portrait work I do I don’t trust it for moving subject still. I know they’ve improved it a lot the last 2-3 years but I just have uneasy feelings of having to rely on it in lower light. I also dropped Adobe last year so it’s Capture One and Affinity Photo for me. I do have Iridient (and Photo Mechanic) as well but it gets used more as finishing tools for me.
I find the AF of the X-T2 pretty decent and it just improved as the X-E3 has improved CDAF tracking. The X-T2 also speeds up slightly if you use the battery grip.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I've never understood the incompatibility issues some people seem to have with the m4/3 system. Apart from lack of dual IS between the systems, which only applies to two Zuiko lenses with Panasonic bodies anyway, since only the 300mm and the very recent 12-100mm have IS, my experience is that lenses work well across the two brands. My most used lens on my many Panasonic bodies has always been the Zuiko 75mm and when I had the E-M1, the most used lens with that body was the PL 14-50mm in 4/3 mount with a Panasonic adapter. I've heard that there are som fringing issues with the Panasonic 7-14mm on Olympus bodies, but I've never seen the evidence. Panasonic's "shutter shock" fix works equally bad with some of the Panasonic lenses as with those from Olympus.

I have much more compatibility issues with Nikkor lenses on Nikon bodies, with older lenses that won't meter and/or AF on cheaper bodies, the 58mm that won't work well on my F6 and the newest E-lenses that won't stop down on any older body. Still, I don't see much reason to complain. I use what works, and with m4/3, most things work. Dual IS. No problem with that on Nikon cameras. Doesn't exist :ROTFL:

The Panasonic 20mm F1.7 does not focus well on my OMD EM5 MKII and PenF if you do a single shutter actuation to capture (i..e press fully to AF-take shot). I have to do a half press first, wait for it to focus and then press fully to capture the shot.

The OMD EM5 MKII has a better rate if I fully press the shot with the PenF almost always missing the focus in some way even in good light. From what I have read, the PenF and OMD EM5 MKII are not the only Olympuses with this issue, and it's about time Olympus sorts this out. I haven't tried the EM1 MKII so maybe they fixed it on that model.

- Ricardo