The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

Knorp

Both these photos are shot at ridiculously low speeds for wildlife. Even if the IBIS stabilises the lens with wildlife they are always moving. For birds, optimally I want 1/1000 minimum and 1/2000 if I can get it. Obviously, m43rds has an issue with noise but so far I think the G9 has maybe 1-stop better noise control than the GH5/GX8. Even so there is noise in these captures (which are RAW converted to jpeg in LR) but I know that it is at a level I can filter most of that out in pp.
Thank you for your feedback, Louis. And lucky you for having 'real' wildlife in your backyard.
Getting good results with long tele lenses at low speeds is fantastic of course, but - and there is always a but - the problem I found is that at low speeds you must have a good deal of luck to get a reasonable sharp image if any at all.
Shooting live gritters require the high shutter speeds you mentioned or otherwise you can shoot all day long only to end up with disappointing results. As was all to often the case for me.
That said, at least you got these fine shots to show for ... :thumbs:

Kind regards.

biglouis

Getting good results with long tele lenses at low speeds is fantastic of course, but - and there is always a but - the problem I found is that at low speeds you must have a good deal of luck to get a reasonable sharp image if any at all.
Kind regards.
Knorp, yes - of course. That is why I'm probably not going to bother much now until I have fine weather when I can shoot at 1/500 for animals like this and 1/1000 for birds. But I had to try out the lens and if it performs this well under these conditions then I expect to sparkle under better light.

LouisB

jonoslack

Incidentally, even though I live in what might be classed as 'central' London - about 1 mile from the BT Tower - we have three urban foxes that visit us. More mouths to feed as my wife cannot resist them when they beg!
Lovely pictures Louis
Isn't it ironic - we live in the depths of the Norfolk countryside, but seeing a fox close up is a very very rare occurrence! and very short lived (unless they're eating our chickens!).

all the best

biglouis

Lovely pictures Louis
Isn't it ironic - we live in the depths of the Norfolk countryside, but seeing a fox close up is a very very rare occurrence! and very short lived (unless they're eating our chickens!).

all the best
That does not surprise me. Urban foxes have adapted to their environment. They are well fed and less wary of humans. I've had them trot down the street in front of me in the early morning as if they own the place. Personally, I think it fantastic that a creature like this is available to me in this environment. I am also embarassed to admit we spoil them with food which is why they return to our garden so often. One year my wife was able to hand feed one with dog treats, although that is very, very rare indeed.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another great review of the G9 - although it is in German as well, but one of the best I have seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNLfgnsuQ4

BTW that guy had the Olympus EM1.2 before and he says that the IBIS of the EM1.2 for video was even better than the DUAL IS of the G9 plus PL 12-60. Maybe Panasonic still has some way to go, but I guess the difference will not be so huge.

I think that as a pure photographers camera and/or hybrid camera (photo and video) the G9 should be the best one can buy today - especially in m43 territory.

PS: I am separately waiting for an Olympus EM1.3 :banghead:

drofnad

One thing I will say is - I really like photographing with [the G9]. When I got my GX8, it was 'wow, this is such a comfortable camera to shoot with' --not the same with my GH5 which is a great camera but not my first choice to pick up. I'm seriously thinking now that I don't need my GX8 (and if you follow my posts you know how much I like that camera), that is how much I like the G9.
While this is a happy state to be in, I should think that it thus serves you well to have both, both as a way to avoid (much) lens swapping --just reach for whichever great-feeling body holds the right lens--, and as having a back-up (which one experienced pro remarked "you will never need unless you don't have one" :p). At least I know that I in ambling around (Reading, Pennsylvania, recently) will aim for things wanting some wide (24mm eq) view to another in need of 200mm concentrated image; and maybe esp. at 17^F my inclination to swap in/out lenses is small (and so though I had bodies w/12-40 & 35-100, the carried 7-14/4 went unused; had it been on a body, I likely would've found cause to use!).

-d.

bensonga

OK, a single photograph from the my recently acquired G9 + the Lumix Leica 200/2.8.

I'm posting a resized 100% crop but you can click through and inspect the full sized 100% crop (1mb 1478x1108).

So far, I am very impressed with the G9. But I am even more impressed with the 200/2.8. I've only used it for one afternoon in very dim light but the sharpness wide open at f2.8, centre of the frame (which is what bird photographers generally only use) is quite astounding. To get the definition of the feathers on a bird at 1/80 second is outstanding, imho. Indeed, if someone had said to me a m43rds camera could do this, vs a D500 or 700dMkII I would not have believed them. m43rds as a birding rig has finally come of age, imho (even though I have been using it as such for the last 7 or so years).

Now I understand why the 200/2.8 has such a high asking price. My only negative feedback is that it is heavy (1245g), much heavier than the 100-400 (985g) - and I don't recall that when I was testing one at an in-store event a couple of months ago.

I need to do some comparison testing with the 100-400 but I'm not sure now how much use that lens will get, for birding - at least.

iso200 200mm f2.8 1/80

Excellent detail in this photo Louis. I am amazed at how good this one and the two photos of the fox look, even though they were shot at 1/80th and 1/60th. These images from the PL 200/2.8 lens are very impressive!

Knorp

Quiz time and throwing "de knuppel in het hoenderhok": who said Panasonic's UI was a breeze ... :banghead:

:watch:

bensonga

jonoslack

The sun is shining today (but it’s pretty cold and windy)
At any rate, we got out with the dogs just after dawn, here are a few shots with the G9 and the 100-400

First of all, here are a couple taken at 1600 of chickens . . The first is at 300mm and the second at 400mm, perhaps the high ISO masks the distinction, but they both look okay (I was about 5-10 metres away). Both are cropped slightly (about 25%)

300mm​

400mm​

These Swans flew by while we were walking - unusual, and I wasn’t ready, so it’s single shot point AF Aperture priority

Finally a robin 350mm 1600 ISO again.

Not perfect, but I’m learning!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jono

great shots and if you are just learning then how would they look if you have practice ;)

Anyway these images show for me clearly that the 100-400 with G9 is an excellent combo for wildlife. May I say - colours are very Leica-like!

Peter

iiiNelson

Jono

great shots and if you are just learning then how would they look if you have practice ;)

Anyway these images show for me clearly that the 100-400 with G9 is an excellent combo for wildlife. May I say - colours are very Leica-like!

Peter
I’d say the colors are very “Panasonic like” in reality and that’s not a shot at Leica or anyone else. Panasonic is known for their colors in video though they usually compare them to another German manufacturer on that side (Arri) as a compliment.

I don’t believe you’re guilty of this Peter but a lot of people don’t like to give Japanese electronics megacompanies credit where it’s due without tying it solely to European engineering or expertise whether it’s Panasonic and Leica’s connection, Sony (and Minolta by association) and Zeiss/Leica connections, or Fuji and Hasselblad’s connection.

I think it’s just safe to say Panasonic has a consistent color response in their stills or in video without tying them to either German manufacturer.

jonoslack

I think it’s just safe to say Panasonic has a consistent color response in their stills or in video without tying them to either German manufacturer.
I’m with you Tre - in this case (FWIW) all were shot with ‘daylight’ white balance. I like the colour (whoever is responsible!)

iiiNelson

I’m with you Tre - in this case (FWIW) all were shot with ‘daylight’ white balance. I like the colour (whoever is responsible!)
As someone that primarily shoots RAW, I’ve always liked Panasonic’s color response (due to the more contrasty nature of how it normally comes out) despite Olympus recieving far more recognition for color response. It’s a big reason of why I chose Panasonic over Olympus myself but I recognize that’s 100% subjective personal choice.

biglouis

I'll probably start shifting my posts with the G9+200/2.8 over to the 'fun with' thread but here are a couple more in decent sunlight (at last!).

A Redwing at rest at the top of our apple tree (the red colouring on the underwing is exposed in flight).

iso800 200mm f4 1/5000

I am having trouble with AF on birds in flight with the 200/2.8. Using it with the 1.4x teleconverter and my usual strategy (successful with the 100-400) I got no keepers yesterday. Using it native with the 200/2.8 the success increased but was still not perfect. It could actually be the camera itself, rather than the lens and I must test both lenses out in this respect.

iso800 200mm f4 1/2500