The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I read it!
. . And it was probably fair enough - he doesn’t like the colour. I thought he worked for Olympus? Whatever, decent review. . . Except the EVF doesn’t have the same resoluton as the SL . . And I think the colour is just fine (different from Olympus though),

I like the G9, it wears it’s complexity lightly, and it’s easy to shoot without accessing the menus - good sense ergonomics, great EVF, almost miraculous IS, nice looking, decently priced, cracking AF . . I could probably go on!
He quit Olympus last year and works freelance now, runs Ming's blog together with Ming after Ming startet working for Hasselblad. Switched positions? It's a nice review anyway, and his photos are always a pleasure to watch, although I find them slightly different from the ones he used to take with Olympus cameras. Maybe it's the colours?

Interestingly, an old friend of mine who spent most of his life behind an Arri and similar equipment for TV and film, stated when I suggested that Panasonic would be the gear I'll use for my future photography and video, that "you can't go wrong with Panasonic". I suppose that's a vote of confidence, a strong one. Since I first started using Panasonic gear with the GH1, I've always been left with the feeling that the people behind these cameras have a stronge sense of what they're doing and that they work with very clear aims.

biglouis

I like the G9, it wears it’s complexity lightly, and it’s easy to shoot without accessing the menus - good sense ergonomics, great EVF, almost miraculous IS, nice looking, decently priced, cracking AF . . I could probably go on!
Jono

That's a good review in itself - and a bit shorter than your other ones :)

I think the 'easy to shoot with' is probably the single reason I switched from Sony to Panasonic.

Louis

jonoslack

Okay - sorry for the double post
In the morning the Spike the cockerel and his crew are allowed out into the garden for an hour or so. Good time to play with the new combo. I have to say that I’m hugely impressed. I was using single AFs, I took around 30 pictures, some of them were rubbish, but every single one was pin sharp. Here are a few favourites:

Terrifying Birds
(The dinosaurs amongst us)

G9 100-400 Vario 364mm ISO 640​

G9 100-400 Vario 318mm ISO 800​

G9 100-400 Vario 300mm ISO 800​

G9 100-400 Vario 300mm ISO 1250​

Knorp

You did
Didn’t you think the top one was okay? Seems good to me (368mm)
Of course it’s okay - but in my view it is lacking definition.
The very reason why I swapped the PL 100-400 for the Zuiko 300/4.
But then perhaps my copy was extremely weak at the long end.
Anyway, there’s no denying the flexibility of the zoom, which I do miss at times.
The forthcoming PL 50-200, if as good as the PL 200/2.8, I’m really looking forward to.

All the best.

jonoslack

Of course it’s okay - but in my view it is lacking definition.
The very reason why I swapped the PL 100-400 for the Zuiko 300/4.
But then perhaps my copy was extremely weak at the long end.
Anyway, there’s no denying the flexibility of the zoom, which I do miss at times.
The forthcoming PL 50-200, if as good as the PL 200/2.8, I’m really looking forward to.

All the best.
I think that you might be fussier than me . . at least in this case! but I quite agree the 50-200 sounds like a lovely lens!

SrMphoto

I think that you might be fussier than me . . at least in this case! but I quite agree the 50-200 sounds like a lovely lens!
I was quite skeptical about 100-400, mostly because what I read online. 200/f2.8 looked so much better and I have no use for weak lenses. Thought it was not for me, but its flexibility and weight/size were sure tempting. To make it short: I got both and tested them on a tripod with IS off, shutter delay 4 sec. Happy to say that 100-400 surprised me positively. At 200mm, 200/f2.8 is slightly sharper, at 400mm/f8 the image is still quite close to 200/f2.8. I need to test handheld shooting, but I think that it is quite hard to get really sharp images from 300-400. That and/or production variations may be the cause for the bad rep of the 100-400.

I repeated my unscientific testing today with the same conclusion.

My ideal G9 landscape photography set is 8-18, 12-60/f2.8-4, 50-200. While waiting on 50-200, plan to use 35-100/f2.8 and 100-400 instead.

Last edited:

Knorp

Lenstip's review clearly shows the characteristics of the PL 100-400, but hey - if you guys are happy, I'm happy too ... :rolleyes:
And again perhaps I had a weak copy and as Louis showed his copy produced even to my "fuzzy" eyes decent results at the long end.
Now go out and shoot and we're all going to be happy ... :)

Knorp

:OT: to get back on topic again ... :grin:, I've just purchased a second battery.
Not the genuine DMW-BLF19, but an aftermarket DMW-BLF19e.

Spot the similarities ... :rolleyes:

Attachments

Elderly

I've just purchased a second battery.
Not the genuine DMW-BLF19, but an aftermarket DMW-BLF19e.

Spot the similarities ... :rolleyes:
The 'Handmade' one has an extra140mAh., an extra 0.4 Wh.
and would be easier to find in the dark :thumbup:.

Knorp

For those interested: the genuine Panasonic DMW-BLF19 battery sells for €66,95 (NL) and the Jupio DMW-BLF19e (Ultra Edition) for €39,-.

raist3d

Okay - sorry for the double post
In the morning the Spike the cockerel and his crew are allowed out into the garden for an hour or so. Good time to play with the new combo. I have to say that I’m hugely impressed. I was using single AFs, I took around 30 pictures, some of them were rubbish, but every single one was pin sharp. Here are a few favourites:

Terrifying Birds
(The dinosaurs amongst us)
Great light, great tones, great lens.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@Jono,

these shots with the 100-400 on the G9 show me that this is a very capable combo - for wildlife and many other genres ....

I am getting tempted to add both to my arsenal of m43

You make it really difficult for me :D

bensonga

I stopped by my local camera shop (Stewarts Photo) to check out the Pana Leica 12-60mm lens. They mounted it on a G9. This is the first time I've seen the camera in person. That EVF is very impressive....the best I've ever seen. I haven't looked thru the latest Oly EM1.2, Sony A7rIII or a Leica SL, but the G9 EVF is pretty amazing.

Probably a good thing that I recently bought a G85 or it would have been hard for me to leave the shop without that G9.

Gary

Knorp

I'm sure they'll be happy to trade your G85 for a shiny new G9.
C'mon, Gary - you know you want one ... :grin: