The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I thought so too . . . The G9 wins on every panal . . And then they say the olympus is best :wtf::banghead::loco:
It looks as if they decided before they even laid their hands on one... Panasonic is not for photographers :wtf:

The dpr comparison looks like one of the classic Ken Rockwell reviews, those he did without having seen or touched the camera. That, or a computer generated comparison based on the spec sheets of the two cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Mmm, the good people from DPReview seem to suggest otherwise. Anyway, I like them both ... :loco:
Die Wahrheit liegt im Auge des Betrachters :D

Anyway - I will not again have two parallel systems ... :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

ptomsu;751361Anyway - I will not again have two parallel systems ... :ROTFL:[/QUOTE said:
No parallel two MFT systems for me either.
But I will keep adding to my Olympus and Sony systems.
I don’t plan on getting another Leica or Nikon camera though.
But will continue to use those Leica and Nikon lenses.
I am still considering to add the AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E for use with my Sony A9.
It’s a rather unique lens that adapted to the A9 works with Eye-AF. :thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
No parallel two MFT systems for me either.
But I will keep adding to my Olympus and Sony systems.
I don’t plan on getting another Leica or Nikon camera though.
But will continue to use those Leica and Nikon lenses.
I am still considering to add the AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E for use with my Sony A9.
It’s a rather unique lens that adapted to the A9 works with Eye-AF. :thumbs:
Exactly right - no two parallel m43 systems I should have said!

WRT Nikon, I can hardly see to go back into Nikon DSLR anytime (well never ay never again :D), but I am waiting leg free first row to see what the Nikon FF mirrorless system will be. If that is going to be great then why not build this up together with the native Nikon mirrorless FF lenses.

BUT - if I would already be invested in Sony FF I would also not consider a parallel FF mirrorless Nikon system and just stay with Sony. Actually if the Nikon mirrorless FF does not become to my liking, I always can go the Sony route - that all will pan out within the next year - so I am in no hurry and can wait.

For Leica - I still kept all my M lenses (14) already adapted with coding and am on the fence for an M10 to make best use of them. An alternative would be the SL, but this one kills somehow the compactness and sense of M lenses and I also expect that the SL2 is just around the corner (PK 2018).

Great time to be on the fence :grin:

SrMphoto

Lumix G9 is still quite new and there are very few sensor measurements out there (none in "Photons to Photos" or DXOmarks). IMO, those measurements are not that important anyway, but I still read them (especially the ones in "Photons to Photos").

I found dynamic range and signal-to-noise graphs on DCW, comparing G9, M1mII, a6500, Nikon D500, Nikon D7500, and Fuji X-T20. G9 did well on those:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/sony-a6500-review/4
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-g9-review/4

Last edited:

bensonga

The G85 was a a big step up from my GH3. The G9 I bought today from a friend seems likely to take it up another notch or two. I'll see in the the next few days and post some photos here.

I certainly wasn't planning to get a G9 so soon after buying the G85, but some deals are just too good to pass up. This was certainly one of them.

Gary

bensonga

You won't be sorry, Gary.
As much as I really like the G85 and I hate to part with it, it certainly doesn't make sense to keep both cameras. When I made prints recently of the two cropped images of the ducks I took with the G85 and 100-300 II lens, I wished I had more resolution to make prints bigger than 11x14 inches. Substantially cropped 16mp images doesn't leave me with enough resolution to comfortably make 13x19 inch prints.

Gary

drofnad

As much as I really like the G85 and I hate to part with it, it certainly doesn't make sense to keep both cameras.
!? Why not? Currently I'm typing with a Gx7+35-100 & also E-M5.1 + 12-40 around me, and both were used in walking out to the grocery (and doing my usual collection of rusty metal bits for Found Objects art for various artist friends; ah, and learning that it's a brake "backing plate" that are wonderful rusty bits!). As I've whined before, swapping lenses back'n'forth just doesn't cut it w/me --one could here suggest the 12-100/4, of course; then I'd cite the waiting 7-14/4 not w/me! And 4mpx doesn't seem much difference, really. Sure, one can press boundaries, but ... . .:. Put the wider lens on the G85 & leave the possible extension - of - range - by - cropping go with the telephoto?!

-d.

bensonga

!? Why not? Currently I'm typing with a Gx7+35-100 & also E-M5.1 + 12-40 around me, and both were used in walking out to the grocery (and doing my usual collection of rusty metal bits for Found Objects art for various artist friends; ah, and learning that it's a brake "backing plate" that are wonderful rusty bits!). As I've whined before, swapping lenses back'n'forth just doesn't cut it w/me --one could here suggest the 12-100/4, of course; then I'd cite the waiting 7-14/4 not w/me! And 4mpx doesn't seem much difference, really. Sure, one can press boundaries, but ... . .:. Put the wider lens on the G85 & leave the possible extension - of - range - by - cropping go with the telephoto?!

-d.
I don't like to swap lenses either D and that is one reason why...

In the MFT format alone, I have a G1, GH3, 2 GX8s, EM1.1, G85 and now the G9. In total, at last count (1 year ago), I have over 70 digital and film cameras in nearly every format and system smaller than 5x7 film. God only knows how many lenses I have.

My wife says it might be time (or even past time), to start slowing down.

That said, once I have a camera or lens, it is really, really hard for me to part with it. I suppose that is just re-stating the obvious.

Gary

bensonga

There are no cats in our house any more, so I've had to make do with a picture of our dog Bonnie (a 12 year old Cairn terrier).

She is not very happy about having her picture taken (again) while she was trying to nap.

I really like the size of the G9 with battery grip.

G9, 35-100/2.8 lens at 100, ISO 3200, 1/50th at f2.8. BW conversion with SilverEfex Pro.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yippee! Finally, Capture One 11.1 is supporting the G9 !
Great news, I already upgraded, but must say that meanwhile I am almost always using LR CC, as it has so many advantages for me and allows much more delicious profiles than C1 can only dream of ....