The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

biglouis

80MB? Who actually needs it? Anyone here do billboards (which don't need that resolution, anyway)?

I'm not saying I wouldn't get a G9 but what a pity they did not do an A7S and lower the pixel count and the s/n ratio at the same time. A 12mpx low-light m43rds camera would be a useful addition to the line-up.

I just hope it is photo-centric in useful ways and that it turns out to be a rangefinder form factor - or else like Knorp I'd prefer a GX9.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am absolutely not interested in the 80MP.

But my hope is that it will be overall much faster in order to allow useable electronic shutter also of fast moving subjects and finally the improved EVF of the GH5.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would clearly prefer a GX8 replacement, or at least a camera with the GX8 form factor. It's an extremely practical camera for everyday use. Shutter shock is real and annoying though, even with the electronic shutter set to auto.

hot

MY "best" camera is GX80 .. waiting for features of G9 ..
with rumored features there is no desire for spending € 1200 :-(

GX80 & 12-32mm price ist 555€, with 14-140mm price is 799€

drofnad

I would clearly prefer a GX8 replacement, or at least a camera with the GX8 form factor.
So, you prefer the X to the G8(50)? --in handling, or the files (16 vs 20)?

I just did an online CameraCompare and they look close.
I've handled briefly a GX85 in a store and confirmed that
if felt much less agreeable to my hands than the GX7,
which I luv.

(If what's coming is indeed "G9" then that's at least
a nice slight improvement over the confusing "85/80/850/..." names!)

-d.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So, you prefer the X to the G8(50)? --in handling, or the files (16 vs 20)?

I just did an online CameraCompare and they look close.
I've handled briefly a GX85 in a store and confirmed that
if felt much less agreeable to my hands than the GX7,
which I luv.

(If what's coming is indeed "G9" then that's at least
a nice slight improvement over the confusing "85/80/850/..." names!)

-d.
Handling. The G85 files show more or less the same details as those from the GX8 due to the lack of AA filter, although the GX8 files seem to have more room for processing. Conceptually, the G9 seems to be what the next generation GX8 could have been, but maybe they have even more up their sleeve for 2018? 24MP? 30? PD AF?

Or maybe they could morph the GX8/GX85/GM5/GX850 into one great but small photo centric camera with great video and a 3.5 mm mic jack? My dream camera...

drofnad

Handling. The G85 ...
Thanks, and for replying to what I meant to write --'G85' (no '0'). <argh, damNames! :mad: >

... the GX8/GX85/GM5/GX850 ...
Would that it had been maybe H, G, X, M, & L for, resp., "GH", "G4-5-6-7", "GX", "GM", & LXes; and march upgrade-indicating #s as makes sense (at some point they all seemed to leap to the "7" level.

-d.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What to say? This looks totally amazing, the lens and the camera.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-leaked-first-image-new-panasonic-g9-200mm-f2-8-lens/
I must say that this G9 and also the 2.8/200 (equals a 2.8/400 in FF terms) are very, Very interesting. Even so I am deep in the Olympus ecosystem, this camera (and some Lumix Leica glass like the 2.8/200) could become part of my m43 gear!

With all these new introductions in m43, getting back into FF becomes even more unlikely for me. Will have my hands on one of the G9's in Austria as soon as it becomes available!

Knorp

A pity the lens is 100mm too short.
Image a 300/2.8, now that would have been sensational ... :sleep:

V

Vivek

The camera is a monstrosity! The full frame Sony A7rII is lot more compact, i think.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The camera is a monstrosity! The full frame Sony A7rII is lot more compact, i think.
While it may be true the hat the G9 is physically larger than the A7rII, so is the Olympus EM1.2. For me this is definitely a big plus as these cameras can be much easier held with my relatively large hands without any add ons like grip etc. This was actually one of the reasons I sold my Fuji XT2, because it was physically to small for me to comfortably hold it.

So I applaud manufacturers who dare to design and build larger models in their range. I actually would have hoped that Sony built the A7rIII in the exact body size or maybe a bit larger than their A7-series cameras!

And I think I am not alone with that opinion :cool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
BTW the leaked images of the 2.8/200 lens show it with a TC1.4 connected.

Panasonic G9 Leaked Images and more... « NEW CAMERA

This offers a 4/280 in combination with that lens and an effective reach of 560mm - a clever move by Panasonic and more flexible that the pure 4/300 from Olympus.

I hope Olympus reacts soon, first with additional FW upgrades for their EM1.2 but also with a refreshes PRO-lens lineup. A PRO-superzoom is overdue!!!!

Knorp

BTW the leaked images of the 2.8/200 lens show it with a TC1.4 connected.

Panasonic G9 Leaked Images and more... « NEW CAMERA

This offers a 4/280 in combination with that lens and an effective reach of 560mm - a clever move by Panasonic and more flexible that the pure 4/300 from Olympus.

I hope Olympus reacts soon, first with additional FW upgrades for their EM1.2 but also with a refreshes PRO-lens lineup. A PRO-superzoom is overdue!!!!
Well, Oly is clever, too. The 4.0/300 plus 1.4TC becomes a 5.6/420 (840).
But imagine a ZUIKO.M 2.8-4.0/100-400 PRO ... :p
That would be something to behold in earnest, but then the weight and not to mention the astronomical price tag ... :banghead:

:chug:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, Oly is clever, too. The 4.0/300 plus 1.4TC becomes a 5.6/420 (840).
But imagine a ZUIKO.M 2.8-4.0/100-400 PRO ... :p
That would be something to behold in earnest, but then the weight and not to mention the astronomical price tag ... :banghead:

:chug:
A 2.8-4/100-400 I would buy immediately. Even better I think a 4/100-400 :thumbup: