The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH5s

iiiNelson

I’ve been seeing these comparisons between IBIS v. going without IBIS and I assumed (perhaps correctly) the decision to go without IBIS is tied to sensor cooling, sensor size, and the fact that most people buying these cameras will most likely have them “glued” to a tripod or gimbal. It sort of defeats the “need” for IBIS in all situations and the improved lowlight is another factor to mitigate the loss of IBIS.

The other thing to remember is that this isn't a replacement but rather an addition to the lineup. The GH5 will still be sold alongside it.

iiiNelson

Jorgen,

I do understand that you really love to have this camera - BUT you should not try to find arguments against everything that was good till now and for everything that is great from now on with the GH5s.

If you like it as much, just buy it :D
True. Might be a great time to snag a gently used s/h GH5 for a bargain price. You’ll get 95%+ of the performance of the GH5S.

iiiNelson

Well I would not call 20MP of a G9, GH5 or EM1.2 an overkill or too much resolution. For me the 20MP (or also 24MP) are just the right resolution - and I guess that will not go away for me, even when higher standard resolutions become available.

But the 10 or 12 MP have always been too less resolution for my type of usage and also this will never change.
Same here and the absolute minimum resolution for me is 16-24 megapixels. It’s the main reason I’ve mostly avoided the A7s series despite liking the fat pixel look. I like high megapixel bodies a lot more than I thought I would but that’s another conversation.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

I do understand that you really love to have this camera - BUT you should not try to find arguments against everything that was good till now and for everything that is great from now on with the GH5s.

If you like it as much, just buy it :D
I'm not trying to argue against anything, just trying to figure out how this camera is built and why. When that is said, I have always had a preference for simple cameras without stuff I don't feel I need. One can always argue that the GH5s isn't really simplistic, but a very advanced video powerhouse. However, Panasonic has clearly removed stuff that might not stand up to heavy use in challenging environments. That is exactly what I like :)

And my printer doesn't print on larger than A2 paper anyway. That's no match for a 10 MP camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm not trying to argue against anything, just trying to figure out how this camera is built and why. When that is said, I have always had a preference for simple cameras without stuff I don't feel I need. One can always argue that the GH5s isn't really simplistic, but a very advanced video powerhouse. However, Panasonic has clearly removed stuff that might not stand up to heavy use in challenging environments. That is exactly what I like :)

And my printer doesn't print on larger than A2 paper anyway. That's no match for a 10 MP camera.
Well, I even could not argue if you like really simple cameras to go with a Leica M10 - which I BTW would meanwhile really prefer as one of my main cameras - as while this one is very simple (das Wesentliche) but does no longer support any video ....:banghead::cool:;)

V

Vivek

This camera apparantly does better than the A7s at ISO25600! :clap:

iiiNelson

This camera apparantly does better than the A7s at ISO25600! :clap:
I guess time will tell.

It seems people were someone let down by the expectations generated by Panasonic with the EVA1. It was marketed as their “Alexa Mini or Amira” when compared to the VariCam but many people were disappointed that it was more like a GH5 on steroids. It lacked the more “filmic” look of the VariCam. I don’t know that Panasonic is promising that with the GH5 but we will see what’s real once it gets in the hands of more people.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, I even could not argue if you like really simple cameras to go with a Leica M10 - which I BTW would meanwhile really prefer as one of my main cameras - as while this one is very simple (das Wesentliche) but does no longer support any video ....:banghead::cool:;)
My favourite camera is the M-D, preferably with the APO 50mm. Unfortunately, it's way out of my budget, as is the M10, at least if I were to buy a lens or two to use with it.

V

Vivek

Yes, you can buy two lenses to go with an M. Jupiter 8 50/2 is very inexpensive, for example. The new 7artisans 50/1.1 (see: Can a 300 Euro Chinese lens beat a ten thousand Euro Leica lens? | Blog | LEICA) is certainly affordable.

My favourite camera is the M-D, preferably with the APO 50mm. Unfortunately, it's way out of my budget, as is the M10, at least if I were to buy a lens or two to use with it.
I would like to see more actual owners/users of M cameras than web cheer leaders. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes, you can buy two lenses to go with an M. Jupiter 8 50/2 is very inexpensive, for example. The new 7artisans 50/1.1 (see: Can a 300 Euro Chinese lens beat a ten thousand Euro Leica lens? | Blog | LEICA) is certainly affordable.

I would like to see more actual owners/users of M cameras than web cheer leaders. :)
Better to be a cheerleader thana naysayer, don't you think :angel:

Unfortunately, the M-D body only costs around twice as much as what I've paid for my entire current m4/3 setup, and nearly 10 times as much as I paid for the GX8 :(

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That might change if you actually put the money where the mouth is. You should really try it. :)

It is only money as someone said. :p
Hopefully, there will come a day when my home has been paid and the statements from the bank are full of little smilies. That will be the day when I buy a Leica M :)

V

Vivek

Hopefully, there will come a day when my home has been paid and the statements from the bank are full of little smilies. That will be the day when I buy a Leica M :)
Seriously, when a tiny camera and couple of lenses can cost as much as a house in some places and if there are design flaws in that system it would change your opinion.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Seriously, when a tiny camera and couple of lenses can cost as much as a house in some places and if there are design flaws in that system it would change your opinion.
There is no such thing as perfection. There are however a few suppliers of photographic equipment that seem to do their best to deliver according to the wishes and needs of their customers. The M-D and also the GH5s are cameras that result from such a product philisophy. They are not cameras for the masses, and their flaws are plentiful. Still, they satisfy important practical and/or emotional needs for a few, dedicated users.

Maybe my fascination for these cameras is flawed as well, or maybe I like them because the challenge is as important to me as the photograph. It's all a personal choice, or at least it is form me. I find rangefinder cameras awkward to use, and one without an LCD where I could have checked the results, even more awkward. So it's an interesting challenge. As is taking photos with a 10MP camera in 2018, a year where photographers use cameras with so high resolution that they can see what kind of polyester the artificial eyelashes of the model are made of. Some take good photos as well of course, not least members of this forum, but sometimes I think that nah... this is too easy. The D810 was in a way too easy (and at the time too expensive), the results to perfect.

If my livelihood depended on income from my photos, just like going to work or to the airport makes me dependent on a reliable car (I drive a Toyota Corolla nowadays), I would obviously use a D850 or a 5D or A7. But I don't. To quote a British motor journalist, that guy with a long beard... (is he around anymore?) who didn't fancy Japanese cars: "I wouldn't be seen alive in one of those, so if you spot me in a Nissan, you know I'm dead.". I used to look at cars that way, now it's the way I look at cameras... my cameras.

So I would like to have a GH5s (or an M-D), to satisfy my ego, and maybe now and then, when somebody approaches me and asks "What kind of camera is that?" and "Ah... a Lumix (which he had never heard about anyway), they are good aren't they? How many megapixels?", and I say 10, he goes quiet for a while, until he stutters "I thought they were much more nowadays. My phone has 20, you know, an my uncle has a Canon with more than 50, but that's a professional camera with many lenses and all...". Then, that's when I know that $2,500 was well invested. That's me :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Olympus OM D and Panasonic GH5s are in the same league.

If you are fantasizing about a Leica, you are off the mark. In terms of cash and in terms of utility it is in a very different realm.

If you are able to afford it, go ahead, buy it and enjoy! :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Olympus OM D and Panasonic GH5s are in the same league.

If you are fantasizing about a Leica, you are off the mark. In terms of cash and in terms of utility it is in a very different realm.

If you are able to afford it, go ahead, buy it and enjoy! :)
When I was much younger, before I could afford a car, but dreamed about a Ferrari, my father used to say to me "I suppose it's more satisfying not being able to afford a Ferrari than not being able to afford a Volkswagen".