Site Sponsors

Thread: Best Canon FD to G1 Adapter for HEAVY zoom lens?

emory

Best Canon FD to G1 Adapter for HEAVY zoom lens?

I would like to add a tripod collar like this one:

http://de.sourcingmap.com/camera-tri...m-p-29949.html

to a Tamron SP 70-210 3.5 FD BREECH MOUNT lens:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/19AH.html

The only place available on the Tamron would be ON THE FD BREECH LOCK MOUNT, but this is too narrow. The tripod collar might fit over BOTH the breech lock and FD to 4/3 adapter rings.

Judging from the photo on his ebay website, the jinfinance adapter appears to have the same outside diameter as the FD BREECH MOUNT (approx. 64 mm):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-FD-lens-to...3%3A1|294%3A50

Can anyone who owns the jinfinance confirm this?

My hope is that the tripod collar would fit over BOTH the breech mount ring and the jinfance adapter, permitting the lens and adapter to be mounted as one unit on the G1.

In other words, the COMBINED distance from the front edge of the knurled breech lock ring and the jinfinance adapter to the G1's front would have to be large enough to mount the tripod collar.

Alternatively, would the Rayqual (Cameraquest) or another FD adapter be more suitable?

Unfortunately, none of the adapter websites provide physical dimensions of the adapters. Thanks for your help! And sorry for all the links and capitalizations...

emory

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Canon FD to G1 Adapter for HEAVY zoom lens?

Quote Originally Posted by emory View Post
    (...)
    The only place available on the Tamron would be ON THE FD BREECH LOCK MOUNT, but this is too narrow. The tripod collar might fit over BOTH the breech lock and FD to 4/3 adapter rings.

Judging from the photo on his ebay website, the jinfinance adapter appears to have the same outside diameter as the FD BREECH MOUNT (approx. 64 mm):

Can anyone who owns the jinfinance confirm this?
    Emory,

I measured the diameter of the ring on the jinfinance adapter using a mechanical caliper and read it to be 65mm. Then I found my old FD28/2.8 in a drawer and measured the breech lock ring to be 64mm. When mounting the lens to the adapter you can feel the measured difference.

I then mounted it all to the G1 to check that the ring on the adapter is well in front of the flash house of the camera. Yes it is. Measuring the combined width of the rings with grooves in them it is about 20mm.

Remember the grooved ring on the adapter is supposed to be turned a few degrees after mounting the lens (to engage the aperture ring). I don't think this is a problem as you probably are going to make a semi permanent combination of the lens, the adapter and the tripod collar here.

hth, /Jonas

emory

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Emory,

I measured the diameter of the ring on the jinfinance adapter using a mechanical caliper and read it to be 65mm. Then I found my old FD28/2.8 in a drawer and measured the breech lock ring to be 64mm. When mounting the lens to the adapter you can feel the measured difference.

I then mounted it all to the G1 to check that the ring on the adapter is well in front of the flash house of the camera. Yes it is. Measuring the combined width of the rings with grooves in them it is about 20mm.

Remember the grooved ring on the adapter is supposed to be turned a few degrees after mounting the lens (to engage the aperture ring). I don't think this is a problem as you probably are going to make a semi permanent combination of the lens, the adapter and the tripod collar here.

hth, /Jonas
    Hi Jonas,

Thanks for taking the time to measure all this -- and thanks for your fast reply.

From what I have gleaned from this wonderful forum in particular (as well as others) the jinfinance seems to be the FD adapter of choice. So it's exciting to know that all my beloved FD glass (actually, it's the brass -- the mechanical perfection of the breech-mount lenses -- that I am looking forward to working with again) will soon have a new lease on life.

Greetings to Gothenburg (home of the Hasselblad)
    from Nuremberg (home of a number of camera manufacturers now defunct, unfortunately),

emory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emory View Post
    (...)
    Greetings to Gothenburg (home of the Hasselblad)
    from Nuremberg (home of a number of camera manufacturers now defunct, unfortunately)
    emory, I think Hasselblad says Hi as well...

they have moved twice in a few years now. The image above is taken at their current location. After having climbed the stairs to the entrance at the third floor you are met by the view above.

Cheers, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Stairs

After having climbed the stairs to the entrance at the third floor you are met by the view above.
    Only the view? Damn, had to be just a photograph ...

emory

emory, I think Hasselblad says Hi as well...

they have moved twice in a few years now. The image above is taken at their current location. After having climbed the stairs to the entrance at the third floor you are met by the view above.

Cheers, /Jonas
    Thanks for sharing the photo, Jonas.

The last time I made a pilgrimage to the factory was in the spring of 1973. If my memory serves me well, it was located in the harbor area. What's more, they used to have REAL receptionists to greet you at the top of the stairs...

Kind regards,
    emory