The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OMD EM1.2 or Panasonic G9

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have a Panasonic G85 and want something better for Low ISO, specifically for using in lower light situations with the 100-400 Panasonic lens. This most concerns songbirds at feeders and general wildlife, although it would be nice to have more capability with BIF.

The Olympus EM1.2 scores much higher than any other tested micro four-thirds camera in DXOMark, including the Panasonic GH5, but the Panasonic G9 is not rated. Although I like the Panasonic menus and general design, the smaller size and plus Low ISO rating has me leaning towards the EM1.2. Is the G9 similar in Low ISO to the G5?

I am resistant to going to a APS set-up because of the bulk and expense of starting again with a new system.
I was in the APSC camp with the Fuji X-T2 and the 100-400. This was indeed a superb setup for wildlife and birding but the lens is very bulky, definitely above any m43 lens/camera combo.

I cannot comment on the G9 but I do love my EM1.2 with the 40-150 and the 4/300 plus TC1.4. I kind of decided to stay in that environment and not go back to APSC (mainly size and still not FF capabilities) and sometimes if either Sony or Nikon (or even Canon) manage to bring the almost perfect FF mirrorless to add this to my arsenal. Given the frequent model changes in several vendors camera lineup I think it is a safe bet to wait and see what they come up with .... many of the cameras appearing nowadays on the market seem to be not quite ready to be almost perfect :banghead:

drofnad

I have a Panasonic G85 and want something better for Low ISO, specifically for using in lower light situations with the 100-400 Panasonic lens. This most concerns songbirds at feeders and general wildlife, although it would be nice to have more capability with BIF.
Surely you mean "high" ISO?!
-d.