The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OMD EM1.2 or Panasonic G9

Knorp

You got to have both, I'm afraid. But that's fine for me.
G9 for the Leicas and the EM1-II for everything else and if you have a couple of SHG FT lenses lying around ... :rolleyes: (Yes, I did hear you, K-H)
The G9 does focus perfectly well with DFD and without PDAF, but it's a pity nonetheless that Panasonic see no need to incorporate PDAF.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think that Panasonic will never integrate PDAF - why should they. Their DFD technology is working to good that they will need to fiddle with PDAF.

SrMphoto

Dpreview article is littered with alternate facts, not a very good job IMO.
Owning and using both cameras, to me the main difference is ergonomics/UI. There are some features that G9 is missing when compared to M1, I am not missing them, but YMMV.
Both are great cameras. Panasonic needed G9 in order to match a camera to their lenses. To decide which one to pick, one should try them out at the local dealer.

To PDAF topic:
Panasonic filed two patents of multi-PD/pixel sensor for on-sensor HDR and PDAF

jonoslack

I’m suspicious about dpreview over this - I read it all the way through, and the G9 wins on every panel

And then there’s the conclusion -where they say the Olympus is better!

Pretty wierd I’d say!

Personally what swings it in the G9 favour
1. More traditional (nikon like) interface
2. Joy stick for focusing
3. Better EVF (much)
4. I like the image quality better
5. Faster focusing

They seemed to be agreeing . . . And then!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the same feelings when reading this comparison by DPreview - they find out that the G9 wins in almost every category but in the end they give the EM1.2 the better rating - weird.

I still do not own one and not sure if I ever will - as it would mean a major change of my main photographic tools once again and I am still not quite up to do that - but I will be able to play with one today evening and then I at least will see the reality :cool:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

I wish all current and future G9 owners lots of stunning pictures, taken with their PL gear. I am still impressed with my E-M1.2 and the 300/4 Pro, while waiting for the E-M1.3 to materialize.

I would appreciate some tele images, taken with the G9, PL 200/2.8 lens, and 1.4x TC, that surpass in IQ, in particular in detail and sharpness, those images that an E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro are capable of delivering.

Once Olympus has updated the E-M1.2 firmware so that the E-M1.2 can actually focus the PL 200/2.8 lens sufficiently well, it might be interesting to compare that lens with the 150/2 SHG lens and EC-14. :grin:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I’m suspicious about dpreview over this - I read it all the way through, and the G9 wins on every panel

3. Better EVF (much)
5. Faster focusing

Some of my thoughts:

WRT

1. UI: Particularly I could not care less about a Nikon-like interface. I know that is very subjective, but I was never a big friend of Nikon UI - always liked the Canon interfaces better - seemed more logical to me. I would have even killed for a Nikon with Canon-like user interface :cool:
Having said that I am extremely happy with Olympus UI - took some time to get used to, but as I am shooting these cameras now since already 6 years it became second nature. So I rather fear that the G9 UI would be limiting on me!

2. Joystick: never used that often on my XT2 and it was such a high praised must have feature. So I think I can easily skip that one!

3. EVF: this is one of the main concerns I have with my Olympus EM1.2 as I already had expected a G9 like EVF when Olympus introduced the EM1.2 - but well it did not happen, so I have to wait for the EM1.3, which will come with 5MP Eye-res EVF etc ;););)

4. IQ wise I am very happy with the EM1.2 - maybe the G9 is close - but if I would like it better is a different story. What I would have liked to see is DNG support in both cameras :cool:

5. Faster focusing - well this is something that needs to be tested and also under different lightning conditions. So far I am quite happy with the EM1.2 AF - only real improvement for me could be for AFC, but that comes maybe with the next FW upgrade.

6. to add anther point: I would like to see all these top m43 bolides support 30+ MP in future releases while offering at least same DR and high ISO capabilities! Sensor wise this is easily possible - would require Sony (or another vendor) to finally use the BSI process for m43 in combo with on chip xyzzy to get to the level of say a Sony A9 speed wise - well dreaming is still allowed?

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Who cares anyway? Last frame of today, before I attended to local beer and Scottish Whisky.

GM5 with Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 17mm and f/4

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Quite right - who indeed - it's certainly down to personal preference
Exactly folks - who cares!

Played yesterday with the G9 and this is an impressive piece of kit, especially with PL lenses, but also with my trusted Oly Pro lenses. Focuses pretty fast with them also without DFD - even in bad light - interesting.

What I was impressed on one side is of course the EVF - especially in dim light it is MUCH better than the EM1.2 EVF, but on the downside it starts getting laggy when light is low - so I don't know.

At least I know that I could add the G9 without problems to my m43 arsenal, but then I would have again 2 cameras in that system and which one would I be really using? Before I cannot answer that clearly to me - WHO CARES :clap:

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Interesting thread, very conclusive with a clear winner : indecision ...:confused::cry::grin:

I will upgrade from my loyal E-M1 next spring/summer, I want to stay in the µ4/3 camp ...
Whether I go for the G9 or the Mk2 is not decided yet.
It will depend largely on how well these bodies handle my stock of lenses. This is what I have from the µ4/3 side ...

Oly 12-40/2.8
Panasonic 14-45, 45-200 and 7-14/4 all old but in good shape
also 45-175 "X", more recent

I also have a large collection of vintage glass from Nikon, Leica, Kilfitt, etc ...

Is the G9 OK with the Oly zoom ? Or is the Mk2 better with the Panasonic lenses ?
And which body is best with adapted lenses ? Thinking especially about stabilisation, a necessity with my long lenses from Nikon and Kilfitt ...

TIA for your inputs !

Have a nice weekend,
Rafael

biglouis

Who cares anyway? Last frame of today, before I attended to local beer and Scottish Whisky.
Completely agree. I am only Panasonic because years ago my local Leica store started doing Panasonic and the GF1 with M adapter was so intriguing I bought one. Then I discovered that the GF1 with the 20/1.7 actually gave my M8 a run for its money and I acquired more and more Panasonic gear. When I returned to m43rds I returned to what I was familiar with. I suspect Olympus owners have a similar story to tell. I have swapped around other systems but with the exception of the Olympus 7-14/PRO (which at the time was the only real game in town for an UWA-zoom) I am Panasonic through and through but largely by history accident and not design.

LouisB

raist3d

And then there’s the conclusion -where they say the Olympus is better!

Pretty wierd I’d say!

3. Better EVF (much)
5. Faster focusing

Yup, I don't understand dpreview here either. I think about the only place the EM1 MKII has an advantage is sports that can benefit a bit better from true PDAF- and then I keep bumping into some people complaining on miss-focus.

- Ricardo

Elliot

I have a Panasonic G85 and want something better for Low ISO, specifically for using in lower light situations with the 100-400 Panasonic lens. This most concerns songbirds at feeders and general wildlife, although it would be nice to have more capability with BIF.

The Olympus EM1.2 scores much higher than any other tested micro four-thirds camera in DXOMark, including the Panasonic GH5, but the Panasonic G9 is not rated. Although I like the Panasonic menus and general design, the smaller size and plus Low ISO rating has me leaning towards the EM1.2. Is the G9 similar in Low ISO to the G5?

I am resistant to going to a APS set-up because of the bulk and expense of starting again with a new system.