The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gx9

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Leaked photos. They've made it simpler with grip and LCD similar to the GX85, but made space for a flash. I'm interested.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The way it looks, I suspect this is the replacement for both the GX8 and the GX85. If that is the case, it leaves space for a GM5 replacement, probably a bit larger than the original but hopefully with a flip LCD and a mic jack. Time will show :)

Knorp

Not that long ago, I discovered what's wrong (for me) with the Gx8.
By the look of these images I can tell the Gx9 inherited the same flaw.
And that pop-up flash ... :loco:

Attachments

Frankly

I really like this design, I wish it could be scaled up for a larger, longer range sensor. To me it's the purest form of a mirrorless camera yet.

Otherwise every time I use a m4/3s camera I feel like I give up a couple stops because I have to be extra careful not to blow the highlights.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is clearly a model that sits between the GX85 and GX8, but closer to the GX80/85. I fear that the GX8 replacement is in reality the G9. If that is the case, it's a disappointme t to me. The form factor of the GX8 is great for travel, and I do that a lot.

The G80/85 looks like a more likely supplement to the GX8 for me then, with better IBIS than the GX8, a reliable mechanical shutter, better video functionality while it uses the same battery. The G9 and GH5 are beyond my budget this year.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
But you might be tempted by the new Fuji with IBIS.......:bugeyes::grin:
As long as Fuji is not able to release newer and larger batteries with higher capacity - definitely no interest.

The XT2 with the grip holding 2 batteries was just such a nightmare to handle - and now this is reinvented in the XH1.

What are these guys thinking :wtf:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hmmm... not sure what to think about this. No mic socket, and the battery is the same as for the GX85. Viewfinder appears to be smaller, but higher resolution. There will be an enlarged rubber eye cup available though, and an enlarged grip too. It's considerably smaller than the GX8, more like a GX7 in size, but thinner. Many features from the G9.

https://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/news/lumix-gx9-whats-new/#.WoLuYIKYPqV
Looks to me like a pretty capable premium compact with m43 sensor and mount. Definitely not bad, but nothing I am looking for.

biglouis

Hmmm. Not what I was expecting. My GX8 feels like a professional tool. This is smaller (but heavier) and I wonder if it is actually a GX80/85 body upgraded. You lose the fully articulated screen which I think is a BIG negative - especially for tripod work - where in portrait mode I am used to swinging down the screen on my GX8 and using it in portrait mode (I assume the GX9's is not fully articulating?).

And it has lost its weather sealing?

I think Panasonic do not want to eat their G9 baby with this body and indeed now I have the G9 I'm actually thinking I would like a second G9 body - I was assuming I would desire the GX9.

Not knocking it - if you are new to Panasonic then this looks like a nice product and the spec looks great. But as an existing GX8 user, I feel happy to hang onto my GX8 and not upgrade for the moment.

I don't like saying this but I reckon this will become heavily discounted by the end of this year at which point I might get it (rather like the GX80 which in the UK at the start of 2017 you could get for about GBP400 with a ridiculous GBP200 cash back! I actually sold it a few months later for more than I paid for it!).

LouisB

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But seeing it from the positive side: It's a great upgrade to the GX85, and the price is very reasonable. I will try it out when it becomes available here, and might be tempted. The battery will be a nuisance though, different from both the GX8 and GM5. A positive is that, like with the G9, it can be charged in-camera with a USB charger. I wonder how long that will take and if one could skip an external charger alltogether when travelling.

Here's a summary of a rather positive review:

"After the review was released, there are a lot of comments about the GX9 is pretty much a GX85 with a 20MP sensor. That’s what I thought as well at the beginning. But there are actually quite a bit more than that if you are looking for a good street camera and why I prefer the GX9 a lot more than the GX85 as a street photography camera. Whether it’s worth the extra price is up to you ��

1. Exposure compensation dial. I use it a lot and i also like that it can be used in manual mode with auto ISO on (something I actually complained to Panasonic when they release the GX8)
2. Tilt-able EVF. It’s a shame the EVF is small but tilt-able EVF is very useful when shooting on the street and it’s an unique features for the GX flagship.
3. The dedicated focus lever switch. I can quickly switch between the focus mode without having to go into the menus.
4. The slightly bigger body and better build quality. It’s not obvious at first. But after I played with both side by side at Panasonic, the GX9 does feel more premium and solid camera.
5. The new L. monochrome D mode, grain effect, very nice JPG. Ok it doesn’t matter much if you are a RAW shooter. But I’m usually a RAW shooter as well and end up shooting JPG on the GX9 as I find the JPGs (both colour and b&w) look really nice straight out of camera.
6. 20MP sensor with no LPF. A bit more resolution is always nice. Having said that it’s not most important thing to me when doing street photography so I put it quite low on my list."

The whole review and a video:

Panasonic Lumix GX9 Review – the best street photography camera? – Review By Richard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFvUjBHZDQ&feature=youtu.be

Knorp

But seeing it from the positive side: It's a great upgrade to the GX85, and the price is very reasonable. I will try it out when it becomes available here, and might be tempted. The battery will be a nuisance though, different from both the GX8 and GM5. A positive is that, like with the G9, it can be charged in-camera with a USB charger. I wonder how long that will take and if one could skip an external charger alltogether when travelling.

Here's a summary of a rather positive review:

"After the review was released, there are a lot of comments about the GX9 is pretty much a GX85 with a 20MP sensor. That’s what I thought as well at the beginning. But there are actually quite a bit more than that if you are looking for a good street camera and why I prefer the GX9 a lot more than the GX85 as a street photography camera. Whether it’s worth the extra price is up to you ��

1. Exposure compensation dial. I use it a lot and i also like that it can be used in manual mode with auto ISO on (something I actually complained to Panasonic when they release the GX8)
2. Tilt-able EVF. It’s a shame the EVF is small but tilt-able EVF is very useful when shooting on the street and it’s an unique features for the GX flagship.
3. The dedicated focus lever switch. I can quickly switch between the focus mode without having to go into the menus.
4. The slightly bigger body and better build quality. It’s not obvious at first. But after I played with both side by side at Panasonic, the GX9 does feel more premium and solid camera.
5. The new L. monochrome D mode, grain effect, very nice JPG. Ok it doesn’t matter much if you are a RAW shooter. But I’m usually a RAW shooter as well and end up shooting JPG on the GX9 as I find the JPGs (both colour and b&w) look really nice straight out of camera.
6. 20MP sensor with no LPF. A bit more resolution is always nice. Having said that it’s not most important thing to me when doing street photography so I put it quite low on my list."

The whole review and a video:

Panasonic Lumix GX9 Review – the best street photography camera? – Review By Richard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFvUjBHZDQ&feature=youtu.be
As a famous Dutch football player used to say: "every disadvantage has an advantage" or words of similar purport.
I'll be keeping my GX8 (together with the fabulous G9).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As a famous Dutch football player used to say: "every disadvantage has an advantage" or words of similar purport.
I'll be keeping my GX8 (together with the fabulous G9).
I'll be keeping my GX8 too, but I need another body for travel, and when it comes to image quality, this one is apparently identical to the G9 and better than the GX8. We'll see. Time is an unlimited resource :)

Knorp

I'll be keeping my GX8 too, but I need another body for travel, and when it comes to image quality, this one is apparently identical to the G9 and better than the GX8. We'll see. Time is an unlimited resource :)
:) I'm not too sure about that last statement, Jørgen: but I do know my time is not an unlimited resource ... :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
:) I'm not too sure about that last statement, Jørgen: but I do know my time is not an unlimited resource ... :rolleyes:
That's because you live in Europe. There are things you have to do. Life is a straight line, and it has an end.

Where I live, life is a circle. What I don't do, my children may do... or their children. Or nobody. It's not important.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Panasonic's naming standards are rather confusing, but checking what they call the cameras in Japan explains a lot. In Japan, the GX7 was called the GX7 and the GX8 the GX8. However, the GX80/85 was called the GX7 II and the GX9 is the GX7 III. In other words: In Japan, the GX9 is the replacement for the GX80/85, not for the GX8.

bensonga

Panasonic's naming standards are rather confusing, but checking what they call the cameras in Japan explains a lot. In Japan, the GX7 was called the GX7 and the GX8 the GX8. However, the GX80/85 was called the GX7 II and the GX9 is the GX7 III. In other words: In Japan, the GX9 is the replacement for the GX80/85, not for the GX8.
Weird and confusing for those of us who do not live in Japan, but it certainly explains why the "GX9" is not what I was expecting for a GX8 replacement.

Gary

biglouis

Jorgen, keep the GX8 for travel and buy a G9 :)

LouisB