The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for a fast aperture legacy zoom

I'm interested in getting into wedding videos (Ive already filmed my sister's and brother's weddings) and I'm on the lookout for a zoom lens with a constant / large maximum aperture. The Panasonic 35 - 100mm f2.8 would be perfect for my needs but at this point in time, it's way too pricey. So now I'm considering old, manual zooms designed for the 35mm film format. I'm a user of Canon FD lenses but it seems there are no FD zooms that are anything like the Panasonic in terms of specifications. Would anyone know of any Pentax K, Nikon F, Olympus, Minolta zooms etc that have good sharpness and constant maximum apertures throughout the zoom range? Max. aperture of around f2.8 would be ideal. The other requirement is that it must be parfocal.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm interested in getting into wedding videos (Ive already filmed my sister's and brother's weddings) and I'm on the lookout for a zoom lens with a constant / large maximum aperture. The Panasonic 35 - 100mm f2.8 would be perfect for my needs but at this point in time, it's way too pricey. So now I'm considering old, manual zooms designed for the 35mm film format. I'm a user of Canon FD lenses but it seems there are no FD zooms that are anything like the Panasonic in terms of specifications. Would anyone know of any Pentax K, Nikon F, Olympus, Minolta zooms etc that have good sharpness and constant maximum apertures throughout the zoom range? Max. aperture of around f2.8 would be ideal.
Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 would be a great choice. It's not constant aperture, but terrific value for money. Prices start at just over $200 for the non SWD version and goes up to $6-700 for a mint SWD version. It's a 4/3 lens and adapters are available from Olympus and Panasonic. If you don't need the long end, Olympus 12-60mm f/2.8-4 is a fantastic lens. The 4/3 lenses will autofocus nicely on E-M1 bodies, both versions, and slowly on most other m4/3 bodies.

If you must have constant aperture, the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 push/pull version is relatively compact, rather sharp and available for bargain prices, $250-300. All manual on m4/3 bodies.

Be aware that a used Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Version I doesn't need to cost more than $600. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Verygood-P...413507&hash=item3f94135219:g:~P8AAOSwDkVaglML

The Zuiko 50-200mm f2.8 - 3.5 is certainly tempting but I'm not sure if f3.5 will large enough for dimly lit church interiors and reception venues. Then again, years ago I used to shoot circuses on 1000 asa and 1600 asa film with a zoom lens that had a max. aperture of about f3.5 or 3.8 or thereabouts. I can't recall what shutter speeds I was using but with video, I typically use 1/50th so the Zuiko might be okay.

Though I have had AF issues when using an Olympus 40 - 150mm f4 - 5.6 on my Panasonic bodies. Sometimes the focus will be accurate and other times I end up with out of focus subjects. I'm now a bit weary about using Oly AF lenses with my Panny gear.

The Nikkor lens has potential too but I'm not fond of the push-pull zoom design (too prone to user errors.)