The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4/3 Forum Topping Views! (?)

drofnad

I always to a little competitive check of Viewing counts among the forums here, to see how m4/3 ranks --mainly vs. Leica, Nikon. Sony once was usually on the verge of topping MedFormat, but w/MF mirrorless, ... not so much. But tonight, . . .

4/3rds Cameras(58 Viewing)
Includes Micro 4/3rds Cameras

TOPS !!

(Russian bots ?)

biglouis

Believe me when I say I never thought my main camera system would be m43rds.

It does not make sense when looked at on a comparison level with Nikon, Canon and Sony.

But it does make sense in the hands and on the back when lugging the cameras around.

And Panasonic and Olympus lenses are very good. I've yet to buy a bad one (and I was regularly disappointed with Sony). Makes sense when you think of the heritage Olympus has but also from the Panasonic side the link with Leica makes their lens formulas and technology excellent.

The EVF is a major factor. Sure, for film I don't need an EVF but why on earth would anyone own a digital camera and use an OVF? A quaint antiquated technology?

Maybe the world has moved on from 35mm being the standard for sensor size?

To my mind Nikon and Canon have dropped a major googly by not going mirrorless sooner. Can you imagine a Nikon mirrorless which allowed access to their heritage of lens glass? Sadly, the rumours are they will introduce a mirrorless camera with a new mount - if true it will be the dumbest thing they have done to date.

Even if Nikon introduced a mirrorless system I would still prefer the physical lens sizes of m43rds. My camera and my Oly 7-14, Pana 12-35, Pana 35-100 and Nissin strobe can all fit in one small crumpler over the shoulder bag for event-type stuff.

So, I am not surprised at the popularity of m43rds if my experience is that of an average user.

Just my two cents

LouisB

V

Vivek

TOPS !!

(Russian bots ?)
Yeah, Leica was popular by that count as well! :ROTFL:

With a few active contributors (as in Leica forum), sure, this one rocks!

Right now it is Nikon’s turn. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
He he... funny thread. I've noticed that the m4/3 forum is active here, and in my veiw, this is the best forum for this system. That also goes for Nikon, Leica, Sony, medium format and alternative systems. None are necessarilly the biggest forums for the respective systems, often far from it, but debates are civilised and even the "fanboys" here are interesting to discuss with as opposed to those on some other forums.

iiiNelson

He he... funny thread. I've noticed that the m4/3 forum is active here, and in my veiw, this is the best forum for this system. That also goes for Nikon, Leica, Sony, medium format and alternative systems. None are necessarilly the biggest forums for the respective systems, often far from it, but debates are civilised and even the "fanboys" here are interesting to discuss with as opposed to those on some other forums.
I think a lot has to do with Micro 4/3 putting out the newest major release and I don’t think as many A7RII owners are jumping to the A7RIII as quickly (unless you owned an A9). The switch to the new Sony Z battery has me personally at a segue because I don’t care very much about the increased battery life at the expense of new $80 batteries without aftermarket options yet and I’ve decided that if I’m going to have to maintain a new battery system then it’s also a good time to look at other potential options. I can get a 4 pack of Watson/Wasabi/DOT batteries for under $20-25 on Amazon and that will be more than enough to keep me running all day for one camera. $160 for 2 batteries begins to add up quickly when you want to run two of more camera bodies, which I have on occasion, and rotate through a number of batteries so that you can extend the life of them all. I wanted to read up on and considered the G9. It looks like a great camera but it may not be the one for me yet.

For me Fujifilm in combination with the X and G system are my leading candidates. Yes the batteries are small and the G batteries are expensive too but then I’d only have one G body and there are aftermarket W126S batteries now.

ggibson

I'm one of those that jumped ship to Sony FE, but m4/3 still has a place in my heart... I still have my Panasonic 20/1.7 stuffed in a drawer somewhere with my old GF1 just in case :p

Panasonic has some interesting releases lately, that I would consider to compliment my Sony system. I'm just not interested in the larger cameras like the G9, E-M1II, etc since I basically already have a what I consider to be a better option with my A7rII (I agree, A7rIII not really interesting to me). But the small bodies like the GX9 are still enticing, and I like this PL 50-200 lens (but not the price).