The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

70 year old Leitz Hektor 73mm/1.9 on the G1

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The Leica Hektor 73mm/1.9 was produced from 1931 to 1942. It is a “portrait” lens that produces pictures in a pleasant sort of 1930s softness and shallow DOF. Color saturation is also much lower than on modern lenses; flare is high if not controlled. It is a challenging lens to use, especially wide open. Except for formal portraits, it is not very useful as a short telephoto. 70 years after it was made, it is still interesting.

At 6.3 or higher, it becomes sharper. See my pictures with the M8 at http://www.leicaphoto.net/discus/messages/7/853.html?1175995908

Here a typical portrait: soft, low contrast, low color saturation.

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]G1 - Leitz Hektor 73mm @ f/1.9 - RAW Therapee, no modifications during postprocessing except cropping and resizing for the web

[/FONT]​

Last edited:

sinwen

Re: 70 year old Leitz Hektor 1.8/73mm on the G1

If you are looking for soft, unsharp, desaturate pictures, you probably have a good lens here, any plastic camera of the sixties, Brownie to name one, would give sharper result than this.

R

Ranger 9

Maybe, but I don't think RJ makes an adapter to mount a Brownie lens on a G1 (yet!) Might be an interesting experiment for some DIYer, although I believe the lenses on box cameras usually were designed to produce their best results on a curved film plane (easy to achieve on paper-backed roll film by curving the film rails; you'll find these on a lot of box cameras.)

Besides, people back in the '30s who were looking for a crisp portrait lens bought a Contax and an 85mm f/2 Sonnar rather than a Leica and the Hektor. This is a period piece and what's interesting about it is its ability to produce "period" results on a modern camera. Thank you, Peter, for posting your results.

kdemas

Your copy of this lens seems incredibly soft, mine is nothing like that. Here is a shot with mine (M8).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The Leica Hektor 73mm/1.9 was produced from 1931 to 1942. It is a “portrait” lens that produces pictures in a pleasant sort of 1930s softness and shallow DOF. Color saturation is also much lower than on modern lenses; flare is high if not controlled. It is a challenging lens to use, especially wide open. Except for formal portraits, it is not very useful as a short telephoto. 70 years after it was made, it is still interesting.

At 6.3 or higher, it becomes sharper. See my pictures with the M8 at http://www.leicaphoto.net/discus/messages/7/853.html?1175995908

Here a typical portrait: soft, low contrast, low color saturation.

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]G1 - Leitz Hektor 73mm @ f/1.9 - RAW Therapee, no modifications during postprocessing except cropping and resizing for the web

[/FONT]​
Peter,
I find this very interesting. It looks like a painting. I can imagine many interesting photos made with it. Does it sharpen up when stopped down like my vintage Summarex does?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
kdemas-
That is what I imagined.
Perhaps Peter's lens had some haze or coating damage to make it less sharp and contrasty than yours. I have had two 50mm vintage summarits. One rendered more like Peters lens and the one that I have now is sharper and has more contrast. I liked them both.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yes Thank you for your comment, Cindy, and yes, it does. Have a look at some picture at f/6.3 on the M8
Cheers
Peter
Beautiful M8 shots Peter. That Hecktor is a gem. Don't you just love those vintage Leica lenses? I'd pick them any day over the latest and greatest ASPH lenses (imperfections and all.)
I don't know about your Hector, but I find the Summarex a lot easier to handle and focus on the G1 than on the M8. I do have to be careful of how I hold it on the G1 since the lens is so heavy, but the G1's focus ability is top notch.

monza

Very interesting corner performance in some of those Hektor photos, reminiscent of some of the cine lenses. I agree with you Cindy, that is one reason why I like the G1 so much, being able to use such a large variety of vintage glass.

Beautiful M8 shots Peter. That Hektor is a gem. Don't you just love those vintage Leica lenses? I'd pick them any day over the latest and greatest ASPH lenses (imperfections and all.)
Cindy,

Thank you for your comments. I do love vintage lenses, not only Leica. Another favorite of mine is the Macro Switar 50mm/1.9 made by Kern of Switzerland for the Alpa Reflex. I bought an adapter that was supposed to couple it to the M rangefinder, but it was completely off. With the G1, is the first time I can use it on a digital camera.

I don't know about your Hector, but I find the Summarex a lot easier to handle and focus on the G1 than on the M8. I do have to be careful of how I hold it on the G1 since the lens is so heavy, but the G1's focus ability is top notch.
I completely agree. BTW, what is the weight of the Summarex?

Perhaps Peter's lens had some haze or coating damage to make it less sharp and contrasty.
Not really, the glass is completely clear, no haze and no coating damage since it is uncoated...

Cheers
Peter

Another oldie: Summar 50/2

I have an old 1936 vintage Summar 50/2: an uncoated collapsible thing with the weirdest-looking diaphragm blades I´ve ever seen.

Of course I tried it on my G1 as soon as I got the adapter, just for fun. It was known for its soft, "schmalzy" drawing and low contrast. This was shot wide open; I´m rather surprised with the "quality"; on the Leica II it came with, I never got this kind of results wide open.

Probably it´s the very precise focussing possible with the G1; no RF could compete with that.....:rolleyes:

Re: Another oldie: Summar 50/2

I have an old 1936 vintage Summar 50/2...I´m rather surprised with the "quality"; on the Leica II it came with, I never got this kind of results wide open.
Probably it´s the very precise focussing possible with the G1; no RF could compete with that.....:rolleyes:
Indeed Per, the sharpness is remarkable and it develops a very nice bokeh
Cheers
Peter

f6cvalkyrie

Hektor 135 f4.5

Hi,

I went back to the shop where I bought my c-mounts last week, and the guy now has a Hektor 135 f4.5 available. I examined the lens today, and it seems in very good condition. He said it was a coated version.

He wants 180 Euro for it. Can anybody advice me if this is a good price for a very good looking lens ?

Also, I would then need a M39 adaptor, wouldn't I ? Any advice on how to proceed to couple that to the G1 ?

TIA,
Rafael

kdemas

Rafael,

I was just shooting with my 135/4.5 this morning (on M8). It's a very underrated lens, for daytime shooting you'll be quite pleased. It does have a very loooooooong focus throw, just so you know.

I think that price might be a touch high (unless it's black and in pristine condition). I think anything over the equivalent $200 (US) is probably more than market.

Click here to see current eBay listings.

Anyway, if you get one I think you'll enjoy it. Medium contrast, nice bokeh.

Have fun!

Kent

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Remarkable difference, Cindy, it draws so much better on the G1
Perhaps it draws differently on the G1 but the Summarex also can draw very differently form wide open to f/2 and from f/2 to f/2.8. You probably experience the same with the Hector.

Nice shots from everyone here, inspiring.

Re: Hektor 135 f4.5

He wants 180 Euro for it. Can anybody advice me if this is a good price for a very good looking lens ?
Rafael,

I looked up in the ebay completed listings and the prices go from $50 (LTM) to $180 (in M mount)

Also, I would then need a M39 adaptor, wouldn't I ? Any advice on how to proceed to couple that to the G1 ?
Either M39->MFT or 2 stacked adapters: M39->M and M->MFT. I prefer the stacked adapters because it gives more flexibility, but that is a very personal choice.

Cheers,
Peter

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Perhaps it draws differently on the G1 but the Summarex also can draw very differently form wide open to f/2 and from f/2 to f/2.8. You probably experience the same with the Hector.

Nice shots from everyone here, inspiring.
I know this is not a Summarex thread, but Charles, you are so right. The Summarex is painterly wide open, has nice bokeh at f2 and is sharp stopped down. I like it on the G1 and M8. I just think focusing is easier on G1. It is also great with film.;)