The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The lens I've been waiting for, PL 50-200

jonoslack

Funny - this lens is a very long deja vu
I used to love the 50-200 zuiko 4/3 lens way back when - I think this will prove absolutely irresistable.

k-hawinkler

This is a shot from last May with the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD. I bought this lens new last March when Olympus dumped their remaining stock of FT lenses at half price. Back then list price was $1,199.99, -$600.00 Discount, +$30.75 (US-NM (5.125%) Tax for a Grand Total of $630.74. Not bad, not bad at all. :thumbs:

Canyon Towhee

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 200.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00313s (1/320)

Elderly

@ $1700 for that lens, I'm hoping that next week's firmware update for the EM1 Mk2 will improve things enough (for me) to stop me wanting to jump completely to the Panasonic ship.
Quoting myself - a bit sad :eek:.

$1700 is about £1200 at the current exchange rate.

The UK price is £1600 :thumbdown: I shan't buy that on principle :rolleyes:.

€ price ???????

Knorp

Quoting myself - a bit sad :eek:.

$1700 is about £1200 at the current exchange rate.

The UK price is £1600 :thumbdown: I shan't buy that on principle :rolleyes:.

€ price ???????
About the same €1800 (~£1600), according to one reseller that is.

But Ian for someone at 7-something you surely have thrown all your principles overboard, right ?

:chug:

Elderly

About the same €1800 (~£1600), according to one reseller that is.

But Ian for someone at 7-something you surely have thrown all your principles overboard, right ?

:chug:
I am as they say in the UK 'An old age pensioner', I can only afford margarine on dry biscuits :cry:.

Knorp

I am as they say in the UK 'An old age pensioner', I can only afford margarine on dry biscuits :cry:.
Hope it's not as bad as it sounds, but still you're living a luxurious life: I for one always have my biscuits dry ...

Elderly

That brings back great memories - both my wife and I used to work on the Phythons during our time at the BBC in the '70s :thumbs:.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Speaking of security reasons: with that hood it certainly is a lens that will draw attention ... :bugeyes:
That was an interesting photo. Here's a comparison with the 35-100 and the 100-300, the two lenses I thought that this one would replace. What is pretty clear is that it won't replace the 35-100. It's almost twice as heavy, much larger and it extends, which the 35-100 doesn't. The 100-300 is the one that will probably have to go, but I might keep all three. This is many months, probably a year, into the future for me anyway, but the path for the future has been laid, and once again I'm impressed with the fantastic lenses that are available for this lens mount.

Elderly

What is pretty clear is that it won't replace the 35-100. It's almost twice as heavy ON THE POCKET, much larger LENS HOOD and it extends ONES BANK OVERDRAFT, which the 35-100 doesn't. The 100-300 is the one that will MAYBE have to go, but I might (BUT PROBABLY WILL) keep all three.

I've corrected that for you Jørgen [IN UPPER CASE].

drofnad

I've corrected that for you Jørgen [IN UPPER CASE].
Actually, I'm not sure that it IS much bigger in lens hood --that for the 35-100 is pretty long (but the lens doesn't move).

And, Jorgen, how has the 100-330 v.II been serving you, thus far?
(Some user expressed great delight in how well it played in dual-IS with his G80/85.)

(-;

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Actually, I'm not sure that it IS much bigger in lens hood --that for the 35-100 is pretty long (but the lens doesn't move).

And, Jorgen, how has the 100-330 v.II been serving you, thus far?
(Some user expressed great delight in how well it played in dual-IS with his G80/85.)

(-;
The 100-300 has behaved very well. I've posted some shots from a kite festival on the "Fun with" thread. I'm on my way to Vietnam now, hoping to get a few hours off to take a couple of photos. What I can say in general is that it's very sharp up to around 150mm and sharp enough beyond that. I mostly set it to f/5.6 and find that with some sharpening, even images taken at 300mm are good enough for publishing/sale. Colour and contrast is relatively consistent at all focal lengths, even wide open, and bokeh looks surprisingly nice for such a cheapish lens. No idea about the dual-IS with the GX8. Must be working though, since I shoot without problems at these long focal lengths.

It's a keeper for sure.