The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The lens I've been waiting for, PL 50-200

bensonga

I'm hopeful that my long term experience with this lens will match the LensTip review conclusions and my first impressions. Those have been very positive.

Gary

Last edited:

Knorp

I hope so too, Gary. But it's Panasonic's reputation for poor QC that keeps me haunted. All too often contradicting reviews emerge: this time Lenstip is rather positive.
Anyway, keeping fingers crossed your copy is okay.

bensonga

I am very fortunate to live in a mid-size city (Anchorage, population ~298k) with an outstanding camera store, Stewart's Photo.

Ivan and Oro Stewart opened this camera shop in 1943. The shop was remodeled and modernized in recent years while preserving many of the unique features of the original store, such as the pressed tin ceiling and this historic exterior sign.

Gary

G9 and PL 50-200 at 200.

bensonga

Well, in a sense every lens is a Black Hole, right ?
I swear that for me every new camera system is a black hole. I might start with a sincere plan to have just 1 camera and a lens (or maybe two).

Before I know it, the darn things have multiplied and I have 2, 5 or 9 cameras and who knows how many lenses for a single system. How did that happen? Not once, not twice, but over and over again.

That said...for me, getting back into the MFT system has been a very rewarding decision. Now with a trio of PL zoom lenses ranging from 8-200 mm, I think my MFT lens collection is complete. Maybe.

Gary

bensonga

A review from Darryl Carey ...

I don't usually like watching video reviews of cameras and lenses. So often there is just too much video/audio filler for me. I normally cut to the conclusions, beginning in this video at about 7:00.

My take away from Darryl's conclusions..."This lens was worth the wait."

That said, I will go back and watch the entire video review at some point, especially since he reviews the video performance of the G9 and PL 50-200, which is something I don't have much experience with, but would like to try.

Gary

Knorp

I swear that for me every new camera system is a black hole. I might start with a sincere plan to have just 1 camera and a lens (or maybe two).

Before I know it, the darn things have multiplied and I have 2, 5 or 9 cameras and who knows how many lenses for a single system. How did that happen? Not once, not twice, but over and over again.

That said...for me, getting back into the MFT system has been a very rewarding decision. Now with a trio of PL zoom lenses ranging from 8-200 mm, I think my MFT lens collection is complete. Maybe.

Gary
There is a remarkable resemblance between photography equipment and rabbits ... :LOL:

Elderly

There is a remarkable resemblance between photography equipment and rabbits ... :LOL:
I've solved that particular problem by re-homing an old rabbit each time I get a new fluffy one.

My problem is that I have great difficulty not adopting a cute new rabbit as soon as I witness their neotenic appearance.

"I won't get it yet because I don't need it yet."
"I won't get it yet because it's so young, it might have a problem that will be cured in its elder siblings."
"I won't get it yet because once it's a little bit older, it will be cheaper to buy."

But resistance seems futile and then I need a new hutch that will fit the new rabbit! :banghead:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had this lens for 43 some long time ago. I liked it .... but I don't miss it.

Now I have the 2.8 40-150 PRO with TC1.4 - this is a much better and more capable combo anyway - so why bother :cool:

jonoslack

Yeah - he's pretty late already, you can't trust no one these days ... ;)
Perhaps that C-Lux thingy was holding him up ?
Certainly Bart - held up with C-Lux thingy (and much more fun than I expected) It was interesting how the manual for the G9 covered it almost exactly.

As for this lens. . . . Not yet - I’m still enjoying the combo of 12-60 and 100-400 and not really using any other lenses . . . .

Oh yes, and I’m totally borassic having just ordered a 16-35 SL!

Best
Jono

Knorp

I've solved that particular problem by re-homing an old rabbit each time I get a new fluffy one.

My problem is that I have great difficulty not adopting a cute new rabbit as soon as I witness their neotenic appearance.

"I won't get it yet because I don't need it yet."
"I won't get it yet because it's so young, it might have a problem that will be cured in its elder siblings."
"I won't get it yet because once it's a little bit older, it will be cheaper to buy."

But resistance seems futile and then I need a new hutch that will fit the new rabbit! :banghead:
Then I hope you don't look like a rabbit, otherwise your wife might get 'funny' ideas ... :ROTFL:

bensonga

I had this lens for 43 some long time ago. I liked it .... but I don't miss it.

Now I have the 2.8 40-150 PRO with TC1.4 - this is a much better and more capable combo anyway - so why bother :cool:
The Panasonic Leica DG Vario 50-200/2.8-4 was first announced in February 2018 and has only become available within the past month, so I'm surprised that you could have had this same lens "some long time ago."

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6859981608/panasonic-introduces-50-200mm-f2-8-4-0-asph

Although I don't own the Olympus 40-150/2.8 Pro, I've always thought it would be a nice lens to have.

Gary

Last edited:

Elderly

Oh yes, and I’m totally borassic ……...

Best
Jono
That must be all Bubble and Squeak to our non-UK friends!
You must have spent a number of Monkeys and a few Godivas,
and I hope you've still got enough for the Duke of Kent Jono? :D

Knorp

That must be all Bubble and Squeak to our non-UK friends!
You must have spent a number of Monkeys and a few Godivas,
and I hope you've still got enough for the Duke of Kent Jono? :D
Listen Ian, Google is our best non-UK friend ... :lecture:
And he's not broke btw. Just read the other day Mr Slack sold one of his kidneys.

:chug:

jonoslack

Listen Ian, Google is our best non-UK friend ... :lecture:
And he's not broke btw. Just read the other day Mr Slack sold one of his kidneys.

:chug:
Dear Bart
I think you understand us better than we do ourselves!
.. and I think it's rather unkind to refer to an M10 as a kidney!
but indeed, you are right, I wasn't borassic until I bought an SL 16-35 and 7 new sash windows for our house

I still very much like the PL 100-400 though . . very much!

best

bensonga

I don't take photos of plants and bees with a telephoto lens very often. In this case, because of the dense growth of Cow Parsnip plants, I could not get any closer to this flowering Cow Parsnip (I had mistakenly thought this was Devil's Club....the leaves of these two plants are very similar).

I decided to use this image for the July color print exchange.

Gary

G9, PL 50-200 at 156mm (FF eq 312mm), ISO 400, 1/3200 at f4

Last edited: