The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The lens I've been waiting for, PL 50-200

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you get a good copy of the 100-300 II, it is a very attractive addition to your PL 200. It is hard to beat the reach, compactness and price of the 100-300. I am keeping mine just for the few times when I might want the longer reach vs my PL 50-200.

Gary
I've said it before but repeating it doesn't hurt. The 100-300 II is a very useful long zoom. Glue it to f/8 and you're in for a great ride for a price that is extremely reasonable :)

bensonga

I've said it before but repeating it doesn't hurt. The 100-300 II is a very useful long zoom. Glue it to f/8 and you're in for a great ride for a price that is extremely reasonable :)
Mine is usually pegged at f8 too Jorgen. With bright light and a little luck, the 100-300 II can sometimes deliver a pretty good image wide open at 300mm/f5.6 too.

Gary

G9, 100-300 II at 300, ISO 400, 1/1300, f5.6

Elderly

For me the thread title should be changed to: The lens I'm no longer waiting for, PL 50-200 :cool:

In reality I'm amazed at how much smaller and lighter it feels
than my (superior in some ways) 40-150 Pro which has now gone.

We can all argue/discuss the relative merits of these two lenses,
but for ME, the important thing is that I feel that it will get more use than the Olympus. :thumbup:

Knorp

For me the thread title should be changed to: The lens I'm no longer waiting for, PL 50-200 :cool:

In reality I'm amazed at how much smaller and lighter it feels
than my (superior in some ways) 40-150 Pro which has now gone.

We can all argue/discuss the relative merits of these two lenses,
but for ME, the important thing is that I feel that it will get more use than the Olympus. :thumbup:
Congrats, Ian ... :thumbup:

But ...
:worthless:

bensonga

I'm quite sure I'll get good use from both the Oly 40-150/2.8 and the PL 50-200/2.8-4. It just depends on the situation. For travel I will surely take the PL 50-200, as I did on my recent trip to WA/OR. The smaller size is a big plus.

Gary

bensonga

Congrats, Ian ... :thumbup:

But ...
:worthless:
Assuming a ho-hum pic is worth more than no pics.....

This is a Cow Parsnip bud at a very early stage of development.

Gary

G9, PL 50-200 at 200mm, ISO 400, 1/1300th at f4

Elderly

Except for the zoom rotating the other way from Olympus,
I really prefer the handling of this lens over the 40-150 Pro, but ….
…. I think that my lens is decentred, you can't tell from these two images taken
just now at dusk, but I think that the left hand side of other images of flat planes are not as sharp
as the right :thumbdown:

Both at 200mm, the heron at f4.0 the aerial at f5.6

Quick, duck - heads in the sand and he might not spot us!

Aerial view

Knorp

…. I think that my lens is decentred, you can't tell from these two images taken
just now at dusk, but I think that the left hand side of other images of flat planes are not as sharp
So sorry, Ian. Inform your dealer asap and explain the issue.
Hopefully they will exchange the faulty lens and if they do take some test shots in the shop !
Really, this decentering issue with Panasonic lenses drives me nuts.
F.i. I like the Summilux 12/1.4 a lot, but rather wait for the Oly 12/1.2 ... :cry:

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
One of the many reasons I prefer Olympus PRO lenses over Panasonic whatsoever Leica glass :cool:

k-hawinkler

Both at 200mm, the heron at f4.0 the aerial at f5.6

Quick, duck - heads in the sand and he might not spot us!

Aerial view
Isn, sorry to hear that. That doesn’t sound too good.

iiiNelson

One of the many reasons I prefer Olympus PRO lenses over Panasonic whatsoever Leica glass :cool:
Lenses that turn, Mount, and/or focus the “wrong” way are one of the big things put me off of anything Nikon or Fuji. LOL

I started on Canon, went to Panasonic, then Leica and Sony. They all focus and mount the same way which is second nature for me. I haven’t touched an Olympus in years but if their haptics are the “wrong” way that’s another reason I likely never will again.

Elderly

Hopefully they will exchange the faulty lens and if they do take some test shots in the shop !Really, this decentering issue with Panasonic lenses drives me nuts.Kind regards.
Lens exchanged for the only other copy they had in the shop.There is now certainly none of the very noticeable degradation that was all the way down the left hand side of the frame with the previous copy, but I need to do some more tests in order to make sure I'm entirely satisfied with the overall performance ……………………….
ETA. After a little more testing, the edge sharpness of the replacement is much better than the first copy, but if I really pixel peep, I'm not sure if the image quality of the main centre portion is quite as sharp - but maybe that's because the centre of the previous copy was so good compared to the poor quality of the left side. :confused: :banghead:

Last edited: