The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The lens I've been waiting for, PL 50-200

Knorp

And this comes up just two days after I ordered the 100-300mm. Oh well... I need the 100-300 next week anyway.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-images-panasonic-50-200mm-lens-leaked/
I found the MkI pretty good and I believe the MkII is even better.
In terms of absolute resolution the 50-200 might be better, but considering expected price and weight of the 50-200 I would be surprised if the 100-300 isn't the real bargain here.
No need to feel sorry.

That said, if the 50-200 is as good as the 200 I might jump ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I found the MkI pretty good and I believe the MkII is even better.
In terms of absolute resolution the 50-200 might be better, but considering expected price and weight of the 50-200 I would be surprised if the 100-300 isn't the real bargain here.
No need to feel sorry.

That said, if the 50-200 is as good as the 200 I might jump ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.
I expect the 50-200 to be heavier, so might keep the 100-300 and buy the 50-200 too.

drofnad

And this comes up just two days after I ordered the 100-300mm. Oh well... I need the 100-300 next week anyway.
And you might be quite pleased both with the 100-300
AND the cash difference with the PL 50-200 to go out and buy another lens!
(While everyonElse thanks you for exercising your jinx to bring out the PL!)

(-;

jonoslack

Sooo ... you’re a gear head after all then :)
But is he a fence sitter Bart? and if so, do you think he uses a pillow or a saddle (or rides bareback).

I'm thinking hard about this lens - still loving the 100-400 incidentally, I think you must have had a bad one :banghead: mine is better up to 300, but fine right up to 400. . . but I'm mostly using it between 100 and 300 . . and sometimes it's too long, hence the 50-200 interest . . looks about the same size?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But is he a fence sitter Bart? and if so, do you think he uses a pillow or a saddle (or rides bareback).

I'm thinking hard about this lens - still loving the 100-400 incidentally, I think you must have had a bad one :banghead: mine is better up to 300, but fine right up to 400. . . but I'm mostly using it between 100 and 300 . . and sometimes it's too long, hence the 50-200 interest . . looks about the same size?
I hope that it's a bit smaller, but suspect that the weight might be more or less the same. That makes it a bit on the heavy side for some of my travels, where the lightweight 100-300 is ideal.

Knorp

Jørgen a fence sitter ? Reading this thread’s title I’d say “yes”, but I’d like to think of him as a tuk-tuk man so a pillow seems more appropriate ... :angel:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jørgen a fence sitter ? Reading this thread’s title I’d say “yes”, but I’d like to think of him as a tuk-tuk man so a pillow seems more appropriate ... :angel:
I don't mind being the tuk-tuk man, and as for pillows... ;)

Phot taken in 2008 with a Nikon D80

ptomsu

Workshop Member
"Telephoto zoom lens compatible with teleconverter
Filter diameter: 67 mm
Size: φ 76 mm × 132 mm
Weight: 655 g
Japanese reservation start date: February 27, 2018
Expected release date: May 24, 2018"

That's almost exactly the same size as the 100-300mm, and with the TC, it will also have the same reach :wtf:

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-full-leica-50-200mm-f-2-8-4-0-specs-leaked/
What is the issue? Sure this new PL 50-200 will be a great lens and more so a great focal range - it is a 100-400 FF equivalent but much faster than all it's FF equivalents. And 100-400 is just the most appropriate zoom range for a number of application like wildlife, sports, etc. And sure it will work with the TC although performance will degrade or operability will degrade as with all TC's.

Will be interesting to see if IQ from the 50-200 with TC1.4 is the same at the long and as the 100-300 or if the 300 will be better :loco:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What is the issue? Sure this new PL 50-200 will be a great lens and more so a great focal range - it is a 100-400 FF equivalent but much faster than all it's FF equivalents. And 100-400 is just the most appropriate zoom range for a number of application like wildlife, sports, etc. And sure it will work with the TC although performance will degrade or operability will degrade as with all TC's.

Will be interesting to see if IQ from the 50-200 with TC1.4 is the same at the long and as the 100-300 or if the 300 will be better :loco:
No issue other than the fact that I'm picking up a 100-300mm tomorrow because I need it this week. I'm quite certain that the 50-200 will be a better lens. No big disaster. If it's good, I can sell the 100-300 and the 35-100 and replace both with this new lens.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
No issue other than the fact that I'm picking up a 100-300mm tomorrow because I need it this week. I'm quite certain that the 50-200 will be a better lens. No big disaster. If it's good, I can sell the 100-300 and the 35-100 and replace both with this new lens.
Another idea would be to rent the 100-300. Maybe cheaper than buying and selling .....

Actually I find the idea to just have the 50-200 instead the 35-100 AND the 100-300 very compelling :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another idea would be to rent the 100-300. Maybe cheaper than buying and selling .....

Actually I find the idea to just have the 50-200 instead the 35-100 AND the 100-300 very compelling :)
No camera or lens rental in Thailand I'm afraid, at least not at this level.

SrMphoto

Rumor/leaked specs (43rumors.com) look very interesting to me:

Telephoto zoom lens compatible with teleconverter
Filter diameter: 67 mm
Size: 76 mm × 132 mm
Weight: 655 g

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sorry to hear! Then buy the 100-300 and sell it with the 35-100 for the 50-200 as soon as it becomes available ...
That's the plan now, at least if the 50-200 lives up to the expectations, and unless I like the 100-300 so much that I would rather keep it.

Elderly

@ $1700 for that lens, I'm hoping that next week's firmware update for the EM1 Mk2 will improve things enough (for me) to stop me wanting to jump completely to the Panasonic ship.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ $1700 for that lens, I'm hoping that next week's firmware update for the EM1 Mk2 will improve things enough (for me) to stop me wanting to jump completely to the Panasonic ship.
I hear you - am on the fence as well :D