The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jupiter-9 85/2 on the G1

Michiel Schierbeek

Received it today! Took some sampleshots right away all wide open in JPG format, sharpened in PS. Little hard to handle but it feels great and sturdy.
Transport and taxes wer almost as expensive as the lens itself.
Typical example of how much money disappears in the pockets of the in betweens. :cussing:

Michiel

not wide open!

Received it today! Took some sampleshots right away all wide open in JPG format, sharpened in PS. Little hard to handle but it feels great and sturdy.
You were lucky to get a good one, Michiel. Mine is

1) unsharp on the G1
2) Rangefinder coupling on the M8 is far off

Unusable

Cheers
Peter

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Michiel and Peter,

I'm afraight that this lack of stability of quality is typical for all Russian industrial production. All they make there comes in 2 versions : good and usable (but few) and bad cq unusable (and lots of it)

My wife being russian, I will be there next summer again, and will be looking in the photoshops over there for some glass. But, with the G1 in the hand, so that I can immediately check what I am buying !

Have fun,
Rafael

Michiel Schierbeek

Peter, this one is with a M42 mount like for example for a Zenit camera. Looks different then the ones for Leica mount. It is black, feels solid and heavy. The diafragma ring is tiny and the preset ring is big. Little difficult to use, but fun.
Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

You were lucky to get a good one, Michiel. Mine is

1) unsharp on the G1
2) Rangefinder coupling on the M8 is far off

Unusable

Cheers
Peter
Hi, Michiel and Peter,

I'm afraight that this lack of stability of quality is typical for all Russian industrial production. All they make there comes in 2 versions : good and usable (but few) and bad cq unusable (and lots of it)

My wife being russian, I will be there next summer again, and will be looking in the photoshops over there for some glass. But, with the G1 in the hand, so that I can immediately check what I am buying !

Have fun,
Rafael
Hello Rafael,

Yes you should look in the shops, that will be great.

There are 4 great lenses to look for;
Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 M42 (great for portraits and I am waiting for my daughter to pass by to test this aspect)
The Volna 9 2.8/50mm ( this one is quiet big but is also a great macrolens, it can focus from 20 cm, difficult to find) )
Industar 61L/Z 2.8 ( I have this lens but it's still in Hungary :cry: also good for macro, not as good as the Volna but much smaller and much more easy to find. And less expensive. Will fit perfect on the G1, I think. )
Helios 40 1.5/85mm ( Very rare and expensive, also extreemly big, but it's a sort of legendary lens. So if can find it, buy it!)

Kind regards, Michiel

kdemas

Thanks for posting your images. I actually tried a super clean black Jupiter 9 on my M8 today, focus seems a little off to me. Once I get an adapter I will try it on my G1.

It's interesting tome how the "bird photo"has quite a bit of "nervous bokeh" while I find the others to be very appealing.

Enjoy your new lens :)

Kent

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks for posting your images. I actually tried a super clean black Jupiter 9 on my M8 today, focus seems a little off to me. Once I get an adapter I will try it on my G1.

It's interesting tome how the "bird photo"has quite a bit of "nervous bokeh" while I find the others to be very appealing.

Enjoy your new lens :)

Kent
Yes, I think it is because it is not wide open. I don't remember which aperture I used here but I wanted to get more of the heron in focus exerpt one eye. But, you are right, it has a restless bokeh at around F5.6 or so.
It is in fact known to be a good portrait lens, especially wide open.
The lens in Leica mount could be a complete different lens from the M42 mount. I do not know much about that.
Here is a photo of the lens to compare. I put the Olympus 35 mm macro beside it. It's about the same size, but heavyer.
Kind regards, Michiel

Another one of the same heron, also not wide open. Not bad for an old Russian lens with bad quality control. It is of course not a bird telelens but this typical brutal Amsterdam tame heron was only about 5 meters from me standing on the roof of a houseboot.