Site Sponsors

Thread: GH1 has square mode!

Post Thanks / Like

GH1 has square mode!

As if it weren't already tempting enough, it seems that in addition to the 4:3 3:2 and 16:9 modes, the GH1 will also have a 1:1 still picture mode at 2992x2992.

link

I'm not sure what crop factor this works out to...

azul123

Re: GH1 has square mode!

My eyes could only focus on 15million yen and 24April.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phobus View Post
    As if it weren't already tempting enough, it seems that in addition to the 4:3 3:2 and 16:9 modes, the GH1 will also have a 1:1 still picture mode at 2992x2992.

I'm not sure what crop factor this works out to...
    Odd and pretty much meaningless. Well, maybe it isn't meaningless for anyone setting the camera to put out JPG images. For raw shooters it seems to be a better idea to crop in PP. Why not 3000x3000 btw?

If a FF camera uses 24x24mm when making a 1.1 image, and the 4/3 sensor uses an area of 13x13mm the crop factor would be 1.85 (I guess). Now that is for a traditional 4/3 sensor. I don't know what happens with the GH1 and the floating sensor limits I heard about somewhere, but I guess it is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe it seems like cheating to me to crop to 1:1 afterwards. I think being able to compose with a 1:1 view would also be quite nice

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe it seems like cheating to me to crop to 1:1 afterwards. I think being able to compose with a 1:1 view would also be quite nice
    Ha! That sounds like cheating to me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The plus for doing the crop in camera is that you meter for the cropped scene and not the full frame. Can be more accurate.

nei1

Terry ,you should be a politician(maybe you are),good answer .This sensor is bigger than the G1 ?or is it just that the G1 is mathmatically challenged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    The plus for doing the crop in camera is that you meter for the cropped scene and not the full frame. Can be more accurate.
    Good point! Anyways, its another item on the list of improvements from the G1 to the GH1 that I like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Terry ,you should be a politician(maybe you are),good answer . (...)
    Good point! Anyways, its another item on the list of improvements from the G1 to the GH1 that I like
    Pretty much meaningless. Do you really believe that removing 1/8 of the image to the left and the right will have an impact on the metering? Are you all into matrix auto don't know what the camera does metering?

When shooting JPGs, something I heard about but don't understand, and setting the camera to digital zoom (yuk), you get better light metering than if you would crop in PP. But not for the 1:1.33 vs 1:1.00 ratios.

There are several improvements done I guess. Anything else would be strange. I can't see the 1:1 mode as a biggie though. It's a good thing, but it won't mean anything revolutionary...

my inflated cents, Cheers, /Jonas

photoworkplace

Hey folks
    New here but have been following the goings on for a while
    Been waiting for the GH1
    Here's my perspective on Square
    I have squared every single camera I have owned for close to 30 years now
    We are talking film and digital
    half frame to 8x10
    SLR and Rangefinder
    Including every point and shoot film and digital!
    So seeing that the GH1 had square I new it was for me
    That along with all the other commendable features
    On metering yes it makes a difference along with the Histogram view
    Also number of images per card
    Not to mention workflow
    As it is now I have to run every image through a Photoshop Action or Crop when using Apples Aperture
    I have always found the Square to be a better ratio for my vision
    Lastly a square means that you can operate the camera in a single orientation
    To that end I have also modified my cameras to be held in the vertical orientation with a flash mount above the vertical access
    This all allows me to hold the bulk of the camera to my right so as not to hide my face from the people I'm photographing
    Also I keep both eyes open while photographing
    Well hope this was not over the top but Square is very close to my heart
    Last edited by photoworkplace; 27th March 2009 at 19:44. Reason: Spelling I'm Dyslexic Very!

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Odd and pretty much meaningless. Well, maybe it isn't meaningless for anyone setting the camera to put out JPG images. For raw shooters it seems to be a better idea to crop in PP.
    I'll tell you why it's good in general to be able to shoot roughly the same way you intend for the final image to look: shape, color/grayscale, etc. It's because of other people -- specifically, other people who might need to look at the image on the camera LCD or otherwise before it goes through post-production. That might be the subject, the customer, the art director, or whomever.

If you can't show the image roughly as it will look in its final form, you will get into conversations like the following, which is very similar to conversations I've had many times:

PHOTOGRAPHER: Now, the camera shoots this picture as a rectangle, but afterward we'll crop it down so it will be square like you want. Understand?

OTHER PERSON: Sure.

PHOTOGRAPHER: Great. Just repeat it back to me so I'll know you've got it.

OTHER PERSON: The camera shoots the picture as a rectangle, and we'll make it square later.

PHOTOGRAPHER: Right. So you understand that we'll be shooting a rectangle and later we'll make it square.

O.P.: Of course. I'm not dense, you know. Shoot rectangle, make square later. Fine.

P: Terrific. Here's a sworn statement saying you understand that we'll shoot the picture as a rectangle and make it square later. Would you just prick your finger and sign it in blood, please?

O.P.: Uhhhh.... well, okay, if that's what you want.

[Statement gets signed. Photographer sets up and starts to make pictures. Click, click, click...]

O.P.: How do they look? Can I see them?

P: Sure, let me just punch them up on the display... there! How's that? Looks great, doesn't it?

O.P.: Well, yeah, but... I need this picture to be square.

photoworkplace

Been there done that :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    I'll tell you why it's good in general to be able to shoot roughly the same way you intend for the final image to look: shape, color/grayscale, etc. (...)

OK OK OK.
    Being able to put the camera to 1:1 is great, or even fantastic.

I admit I never thought about showing images for dense customers as I don't have any customers. I also never had any troubles with the histogram or exposure as I guess the centerweighted and the spot (my mode) meter works as fine in both modes (4:3 or 1:1). But I respect your input as you are talking about aspects I haven't thought of. The few times I have taken portraits for clients it was with film and the reviewing and histogram and such was no problem...

But how does it work? The info I have read comes from the DPR preview and they say it works pretty much the same way as the LX3. Looking at the LX3 image sizes it seems to me as this is a JPG thing only?

Setting the GH1 to 1:1 ratio - does one get a square 2992x2992 raw format file out of it? If not, how interesting is it then?

Jonas B 2006, 2009, Not square. I'm just almost there.

Cheers, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoworkplace View Post
    Hey folks (...)
    Hi photoworkplace,

Please see my reply above as well, and understand I'm not seeing this as a holy war. You and ranger made me think about aspects on the matter that has no bearing to me but obviously to you and your situation.

I have always been happy to crop. Many of my images end up square or close to square and in another forum I asked for a 24x24mm sensor years ago.

Your comment on the histogram differences made me curious. I admit I have some problems seeing the dramatic difference between 4:3 and 1:1 with regards to exposure and histogram. I have never run into any exposure problems with the G1 (unlike with my Pentax camera, the E-series cameras and the 5D I owned before going with the G1 only).

Have you run into any big differences reading a histogram from a camera shooting 4:3 and 1:1 when switching between the formats and shooting your typical images?

You have done very well with the samples you posted. I like the B&W versions and exposure seem to have worked.

regards, /Jonas

photoworkplace

Jonas
    First your questions!
    The Histogram is just about useless when you are intentionally cropping
    The representation of the graph has no relation to the actual area you are keeping in your final photograph
    I tend to rely on the Highlight warning overlay
    At least with this I can see how it relates to the area I'm intending to keep
    And yes as far as metering spot is usually the best way to go when taking the crop into account
    About Raw
    When they go through and mask dead Pixels on a sensor this is maintained in the Raw Header
    As far as I understand
    So I see no reason why the image area would not be saved in the Raw file
    Now as far as a Holy War ?
    Never thought you were going down that road
    You want a Holy War sit down across the table from a bunch of Lecia Engineers with a couple of Leica Ms that you made square and old S1s that you squared, pulled out the prism and reoriented the film advance lever turning it into a waist level 35mm square SLR
    That was a Holy War
    No offense ever taken when a question is involved :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoworkplace View Post
    Jonas
    First your questions!
    The Histogram is just about useless
    (...)
    That was a Holy War
    No offense ever taken when a question is involved :-)
    photoworkplace (?),

What the histogram shows us (after having checked what color temp I have to use to get the channels correctly related to the fill factors on sensor before applying any conversion to JPG stuff in camera) is naturalmente the light intensity of entire image. I understand that... My question really is more about how wrong it goes in for your typical shooting. Now that is depending on the subject and I admit I was thinking of portraits where I don't think I would be unable to interprete the histogram good enough also for an image I'm intended to crop.

Anyway, spot metering and blinking highlights saves the day. One should also remember the G1 meters the light better than I have experienced with any SLR camera.

So the metering point is more or less moot. I think. At the same time it is an advantage to get the histogram based on the 1:1 crop only, I admit that. But then again, I usually crop all my images somewhat... I have never learned to aim and frame exactly.

I still wonder about the raw format. On the LX3 it seems to me, by reading the specs, that you get raw only when setting the camera to 4/3. Here we'll have to wait and see if not somebody with deeper knowledge can tell us how it works.

If the GH1 deliver raw format files with everything saved to cover all the different formats it would be great! It wouldn't save space on the card... but it would be great. Then we would deal with a somewhat bigger sensor and have 14MP to play with. Too good to be true?

And watch out...! I have used Leica cameras and still have a couple of lenses, lol. But... I don't see somebody's choice of camera as a religious thing.

Cheers, /Jonas

photoworkplace

Jonas
    As for an example (Histogram)
    Quite often I will have a light source out of my cropped frame behind a person who is in the shadow
    Similar to your photograph posted
    So in that situation the Histogram goes out the window
    And as far as being a camera zealot
    Not me, I curse at all cameras equally
    And I've been through most every format and manufacturer
    Joseph

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

this may be a totally naive question, but here it is: I would assume that with a 1:1 format the center of the sensor would be used? Wouldn't that also mean that the vignetting we see with the wide angles in the c-mount cine lenses would disappear or at least be minimized?

So much to learn, thanks,

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

i think that *if* something like this has one advantage it is this, that you see what you shoot, its already edited to the frame size intended and the EVF/LCD displays that.

Rather like shooting in B&W mode, there is no denying that there is some advantage in '''seeing in B&W''', of course it also means that you can never go back, and cannot offer a colour example, same same for square mode....

Oh and Stefan,.....yes
    Last edited by Riley; 29th March 2009 at 04:19. Reason: add note to Stefan

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Rather like shooting in B&W mode, there is no denying that there is some advantage in '''seeing in B&W''', of course it also means that you can never go back, and cannot offer a colour example...
    If you're shooting in raw format, the color is still there even when you've got the camera set to B&W mode. You get to view B&W in the camera to check for tonal mergers etc. -- but if you later decide a color image would have been better, you can re-process the raw file as color instead.

(Adobe Lightroom, which is what I use for managing raw files, doesn't even recognize the G1's B&W-mode flag -- it displays the images as color unless you explicitly change them to grayscale.)

Another advantage to raw format for B&W shooting is that you can post-apply the same kinds of effects you'd normally get with a filter over the lens: If you want green foliage to look brighter, you can boost the greens, or cut back the blue to make clouds stand out more (same as using a yellow filter) etc. I've recently discovered that this technique also can be used to make high-ISO B&W images appear less noisy; by tweaking the individual color controls, you often can find an optimum setting that minimizes overall noise.

Post Thanks / Like

I do shoot in RAW and I do find it helpful sometimes to 'see' in b & w (as I do with my 5D occasionally), but expect to get a 'neutral' color file and process my own b & w from the RAW file.

When we are discussing formats, I hadn't tried it, but just did in 16:9--and the RAW is cropped and the EXIF shows that in LR (4000 x 2250). As I understood it, the GH1 has the larger sensor so that the size of the shot will be, size wise, the same as the 4000 x 3000--IOW--I assume then that it will be same overall--but wouldn't think it would be 4000 by 4000--or am I wrong here??

Diane
    If you're shooting in raw format, the color is still there even when you've got the camera set to B&W mode. You get to view B&W in the camera to check for tonal mergers etc. -- but if you later decide a color image would have been better, you can re-process the raw file as color instead.

(Adobe Lightroom, which is what I use for managing raw files, doesn't even recognize the G1's B&W-mode flag -- it displays the images as color unless you explicitly change them to grayscale.)

Another advantage to raw format for B&W shooting is that you can post-apply the same kinds of effects you'd normally get with a filter over the lens: If you want green foliage to look brighter, you can boost the greens, or cut back the blue to make clouds stand out more (same as using a yellow filter) etc. I've recently discovered that this technique also can be used to make high-ISO B&W images appear less noisy; by tweaking the individual color controls, you often can find an optimum setting that minimizes overall noise.

Post Thanks / Like

you can see by the 4 available formats for GH1 in max size
    4000 x 3000 (4:3)
    4128 x 2752 (3:2)
    4352 x 2448 (16:9)
    2992 x 2992 (1:1)

non of them are 4000 high. The GH1 sensor is a 10x7 format, so it can only give you an image limited to its height. For some reason thats slightly less than the 3000 height at 2992 pixels high. So for 1x1 it has to be 2992x2992

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    you can see by the 4 available formats for GH1 in max size
    4000 x 3000 (4:3)
    4128 x 2752 (3:2)
    4352 x 2448 (16:9)
    2992 x 2992 (1:1)

non of them are 4000 high. The GH1 sensor is a 10x7 format, so it can only give you an image limited to its height. For some reason thats slightly less than the 3000 height at 2992 pixels high. So for 1x1 it has to be 2992x2992
    Ah, thanks Riley. I don't think I've seen this--or glossed over it--just absorbing the info that the sensor was larger, etc. (since I'm not interested in buying the GH1) So--the 1 x 1 is basically the same as if I crop it myself. The pro to this, I guess, would be that you could compose with 1 x 1 in mind--and still, no one seems sure about the metering from what I read above.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

welcome Diane
    just another curious aspect, at no point do you use all the available pixels

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This setup was started by Panasonic a couple of years ago on their some of their P&S cameras. The sensor is a bit larger and better utilizes the image circle of the lens.

Here is a diagram of what is going on. This is for a different camera so the pixel dimensions are different but the concept is exactly the same.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28694696

Ranger 9

I recall reading that on almost any digital camera, not all the sensor pixels are used for imaging; some are reserved for measurements used in processing, such as dark current (amount of signal present in an element not exposed to light.)

Post Thanks / Like

what is of concern though Ranger, is the image are size for each format, which this diagram attributed to Bjorn Utpott describes

Post Thanks / Like

All that is so true, and also well known. What I wonder after having discussed the square format in GH1 is if there is any square raw at all. When checking what LX3 (also having a "variable sensor") does it seems to me as raw format is available as 4:3 only.

That is what I read from specifications, I don't have any LX3 and can't check that for myself. Maybe I should download the manual. Anyway, is there anyone knowing what the GH1 will do. Are the different crops of the total sensor only for JPG outputs? If so I hope we can agree the feature is very much a gimmick only. OTOH it would be very cool if we get raw format files according to the different formats.

regards, /Jonas

EDIT: I now see I missed the second page of the thread. Hmm. I'm still curious about the GH1 raw 1:1 format.
    Last edited by Jonas; 29th March 2009 at 12:17. Reason: premature posting... ;)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All that is so true, and also well known. What I wonder after having discussed the square format in GH1 is if there is any square raw at all. When checking what LX3 (also having a "variable sensor") does it seems to me as raw format is available as 4:3 only.

That is what I read from specifications, I don't have any LX3 and can't check that for myself. Maybe I should download the manual. Anyway, is there anyone knowing what the GH1 will do. Are the different crops of the total sensor only for JPG outputs? If so I hope we can agree the feature is very much a gimmick only. OTOH it would be very cool if we get raw format files according to the different formats.

regards, /Jonas

EDIT: I now see I missed the second page of the thread. Hmm. I'm still curious about the GH1 raw 1:1 format.
    If you look at the owners manual for an LX3 you will see a chart at the back that shows the files sizes for each aspect ratio and file type (RAW/JPEG + Compression). Panny is not one to just put gimmicks into cameras. There is also a way in the menus to change the aspect ratio of a shot. So, it seems like the whole sensor records and then you can change what part of it you want to use.

Post Thanks / Like

For all intents and purposes, the square format on this camera is a cropped version of the 4:3 aspect ratio. It does not maintain the diagonal angle of view the way 16:9, 3:2, and 4:3 do. It will show less vignetting with cine lenses just as one would see by cropping the sides off a 4:3 shot.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the owners manual for an LX3 you will see a chart at the back that shows the files sizes for each aspect ratio and file type (RAW/JPEG + Compression). Panny is not one to just put gimmicks into cameras. There is also a way in the menus to change the aspect ratio of a shot. So, it seems like the whole sensor records and then you can change what part of it you want to use.
    So I should have read the manual rather than just trusted third party specification lists then...

Ah, if that is how it will work it is more interesting than I could think of at the start of this thread.

Thank you for clarifying, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have also.....

altho' to this point, with the G1, I've shot totally in 4:3 and cropped to suit. I tried the 16:9 this afternoon just to see if it cropped for RAW (does), but I don't know if I would choose to shoot in another format anyhow. Though I'm a longtime DSLR shooter with 3:2, I often cropped (and used my gridded screen to compose) to 4:3 anyhow.

Diane

So I should have read the manual rather than just trusted third party specification lists then...

Ah, if that is how it will work it is more interesting than I could think of at the start of this thread.

Thank you for clarifying, /Jonas

Ranger 9

All that is so true, and also well known.
    Golly, I'm so sorry. Please excuse me. I promise I'll check with you before ever posting any information ever again.

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger 9

Quote:
    Golly, I'm so sorry. Please excuse me. I promise I'll check with you before ever posting any information ever again. .
    Thanks, Ranger...eye didn't no that...but then mY b00k [email protected] isn't as bG as [email protected]'

concerning the Square format...it would be of interest if it used the total sensor @ 4000 pixs, otherwise it's just idiotz deLite...
    Last edited by Y.B.Hudson III; 29th March 2009 at 20:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Golly, I'm so sorry. Please excuse me. I promise I'll check with you before ever posting any information ever again.
    Lol. No, I think I'm sorry for my poor choice of words.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    Thanks, Ranger...eye didn't no that...but then mY b00k [email protected] isn't as bG as [email protected]'

concerning the Square format...it would be of interest if it used the total sensor @ 4000 pixs, otherwise it's just idiotz deLite...
    Y.B.Hudson III, this is the second time you are commenting that bookcase. I wonder what the problem is? Did I offend you to at some instance?