The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware G9,GH5,GH5s

I'm not sure when this came out but the G80/G85 cameras also had a firmware upgrade to V1.3. The main change was to improve the image stabilization of the new 200mm f/2.8 lens and correct problems when operating the camera from an external source.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

It's not that vague. 43rumors got it much more concrete. It's a very nice upgrade and Panasonic is basically doing some Fuji Kaizen here.

Now, if they only came out with the "GM9".... :)

https://translate.google.com/transl...anasonic.com/jp/topics/160585.html&edit-text=

- Ricardo
I’m not sure that it’s a Fuji “Kaizen” update as much as it is bug fixes and adding a few extra options for user preferences.

On another note I’d also argue that the Panasonic (and many other cameras) don’t need Fuji “Kaizen” updates because they have many of those Fuji “Kaizen” features at launch of their products.

Last edited:

biglouis

What does it do? Unless it is somehow going to magically improve BIF against foliage it is not much use to me.

LouisB

Arne Hvaring

Hm.. I get only version 1.1 when I click on the download page for the G9. But version 1.2 is indicated on the line in the table. Strange.

Knorp

Hm.. I get only version 1.1 when I click on the download page for the G9. But version 1.2 is indicated on the line in the table. Strange.
That's odd. I'm using the same link as in my post and I got v1.2 downloaded and installed for my G9.

biglouis

The biggest issue for BIF is shooting birds against foliage. Up to now it just does not work - although comparing notes in a hide earlier this year with Canon and Nikon users they complained of exactly the same problem. As the bird goes in front of trees, the AF just gives up and focuses on the trees. Oddly enough, it does not happen against lighter coloured foliage, like grains and reeds.

Hence the description of the change in AF being "There were cases where focus point was shifted to the background while tracking the subject in AFC mode. The new firmware minimizes this problem."

I'll be testing this at some point having downloaded the new firmware. To date, I am less than impressed with BIF photography with the G9+200/2.8. However, I have no frame of reference and I don't know what a good keeper rate is. My keeper rate is between 5-10% of BIF photographs.

I'm the first to admit that it could be operator error but after a while having beaten yourself up again and again, you begin to allow for a scintilla of doubt that it may actually be the camera.

I did discuss this with a Lumix luminary who does a lot of wildlife photography and he agreed that all cameras do have problems with BIF against foliage and told me that Panasonic are aware of the problem and hope to address it.

However, I just don't accept that this needs to be a problem in this day and age when computation and AI have reached such an evolved level. I think the problem is that camera manufacturers are not getting enough input from wildlife, especially bird, photographers explaining what the problem is. After all, once you are tracking an object, e.g. a BIF and the camera has locked AF, how difficult would it be to build in computation which says maintain this object as the key subject in the frame until the shutter button is no longer depressed?

I was going to go out to Buckinghamshire today and photograph Kites in flight but the weather is not good enough. As soon as it is I'll go back and see if there are any improvements with the new firmware. I hope there is because as things stand the new XT3 and 100-400 are looking very attractive to me at present instead of my G9+200/2.8.

Just my two cents

Louis