Site Sponsors

Thread: Curious news from Pana

Ranger 9

Curious news from Pana

The '1001 Noisy Cameras' website pointed to these two articles (links are translations from Japanese to Googlish):

Quirky things that stood out to me:

-- They are planning to make 5,000 units per month of the camera, but only 1,000 each of the three lenses...?

-- What are the other 2,000 bodies per month going to use for a lens? (Good thing we have been doing all this research on C-mount lenses!)

-- Or do they assume we all will be replacing/supplementing our G1 bodies with GH1s at a rate of 2,000 per month...?

-- List price of the 7-14 is even higher than that of the 14-140. Yikes!

-- What happened to the 45-200?

Any other points of interest for anyone? No info on the 20/1.7 or the macro other than sometime this year, BTW...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Curious news from Pana

Interesting stuff. My guess is the 45-200 isn't on the list because all the other three lenses are new SKUs, the 14-45 newly available as a separate lens. Perhaps the discrepancy of the units/month is extra production of lenses above the GH1/14-140 bundle?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting.
    Anyone know the price of the 7-14?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Thanks for posting.
    Anyone know the price of the 7-14?
    It was linked to in another forum--$1020 (USD) based on the MSRP given for the Japanese market.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Diane, sounds expensive to me. Especially since we'll have to wait and see how it performs wide open at f4. This kind of wide angle would of course be very useful in confined spaces in which there is generally not a lot of light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Thanks Diane, sounds expensive to me. Especially since we'll have to wait and see how it performs wide open at f4. This kind of wide angle would of course be very useful in confined spaces in which there is generally not a lot of light.
    I'm actually considering the Oly 9-18. With the adaptor and the lens, it will still be several hundred dollars less though it is not f/4 but f/4-5.6. They are basically the same size--actually the 9-18 is 1 oz+ less. I've thought about the difference in FL--I have a 12-24 for my 5D and searched in LR metadata to see how I had been shooting with it. 9mm (FOV of FF of 18mm) would be fine for me I think. Guess I'll just see how good it is---an UWA is still not a lens I will use a great deal of the time--and have several options for my Canons.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I'm actually considering the Oly 9-18. With the adaptor and the lens, it will still be several hundred dollars less though it is not f/4 but f/4-5.6. They are basically the same size--actually the 9-18 is 1 oz+ less. I've thought about the difference in FL--I have a 12-24 for my 5D and searched in LR metadata to see how I had been shooting with it. 9mm (FOV of FF of 18mm) would be fine for me I think. Guess I'll just see how good it is---an UWA is still not a lens I will use a great deal of the time--and have several options for my Canons.

Diane
    Quite right too. I no longer have the G1, but I do have the 9-18, and it's an excellent little lens - sharp, quick to focus and nice to use. Obviously it'd be nice to have the consistent aperture, but not vital, and going up to 36 equivalent is useful too.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane
    Diane, you've got me convinced. I'm getting one. This mini review is useful

http://torontowide.blogspot.com/2008...ko-9-18mm.html

Keith

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The 7-14 is listed as 124,950, has anyone seen an official list price for the US market in USD?

The 9-18 is a sharp lens from what I've seen, and definitely less expensive. It does need the 4/3 adapter which makes it bigger and adds to the cost, and it overlaps the kit lens from 14-18 and is slower than the kit lens in that range, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently ordered the ZD9-18 and got it the other day. It is not bad at all. Just as most of my (owned earlier) ZD lenses it works with no quirks.

It is at its best at f/4-5.6 so I leave it set to "wide" open and use the front wheel for exposure compensation only. The contrast focusing AF is a bit slower on the G1 than on the Olympus E series cameras but it is not a problem. The AF assisting function enlarging the viewfinder engages when the focusing ring is turned. It is all very easy to live with (initial impressions of course). I guess I'll make use of the aperture blades in some tricky situations only, like extreme landscape compositions. I mean, focusing at 2m gives a DOF from 0.8 meters to infinity (f/4, 9mm), for example.

The hood is a big bulky plastic piece barely making it into my bag and I will replace it with a short metal screw in hood as soon as possible.

Thinking of some places I use the camera, including vacations, I don't mind the lens to cost a bit less and being easy to replace. It is probably also no drawback that it works on the 4/3 cameras.

I don't really need 9mm that often but 10-11 will come to use. For me it is more interesting that it reaches 18mm. I guess I would find some use for 7mm if I had such a lens but I'm usually not that extreme.

Overlapping the kit lens? Good. I have now placed the kit lens in a drawer and will probably forget about it.

I see the G7-14 as an important lens for the 4/3 system, looking carefully at the published MTF charts tells me it will be performing pretty close to the ZD7-14 which is one of the best UWA zooms I know of. I'm not surprised over the price. That's Panasonic. Anyone wanting the smallest and widest possible will probably be happy with the lens but for my needs the ZD9-18 will do it.

my cents, whatever a cent is worth today...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm skipping the 7-14 (unless i win a lottery) and just waiting for the 20/1.7.

joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And where the heck is that 20/1.7? I've been waiting too.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    And where the heck is that 20/1.7? I've been waiting too.
    So am I. Panasonic, wake up!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i thought the 20 was scheduled for next fall...

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, glad I brought the 9-18 up because it brought a nice conversation about it. I just shoot with an UWA so seldom, but do like to have the option, that I'm not willing to pay the 'big bucks' for the 7-14 I don't think. The other thing that has occurred to me is that if I should ever choose to add the 4/3rds system, it would be nice to have that lens. Might never happen but since the 9-18 doesn't add any weight to the m4/3rds except for the adaptor, it seems like a good choice for me. Now--I have to find a 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor. I only know of one place that has them--the Ebay site from Hong Kong I believe. Surely Panasonic must have them in the pipeline somewhere, due to pop up again.

My understanding all along has been that the 20 f/1.7 won't be out until Fall. I do have the nice FD 24 f/2.8 but I'd really love a faster lens in that range and I'd really like it before Fall.

Diane

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The 7-14 is listed as 124,950, has anyone seen an official list price for the US market in USD?

The 9-18 is a sharp lens from what I've seen, and definitely less expensive. It does need the 4/3 adapter which makes it bigger and adds to the cost, and it overlaps the kit lens from 14-18 and is slower than the kit lens in that range, too.
    But that 9mm makes a big difference, and from the results I've seen it controls distortion very well. Going out to 36mm equivalent gives it a nice range for street shooting.
    I need to get the adapter anyway

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . Now--I have to find a 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor. I only know of one place that has them--the Ebay site from Hong Kong I believe. Surely Panasonic must have them in the pipeline somewhere, due to pop up again. . .
    Diane
    Diane, my local Panasonic dealer in Canada has them in stock:
    http://www.vistek.ca/store/240538/pa...t-adaptor.aspx

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The other thing that has occurred to me is that if I should ever choose to add the 4/3rds system, it would be nice to have that lens. Might never happen but since the 9-18 doesn't add any weight to the m4/3rds except for the adaptor, it seems like a good choice for me.
    Exactly - and wouldn't a weatherproofed E620 be an attractive proposition!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Diane, my local Panasonic dealer in Canada has them in stock:
    http://www.vistek.ca/store/240538/pa...t-adaptor.aspx

Keith
    Thanks a lot Keith. I'll check that out and look for the best price for the 9-18 now.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Exactly - and wouldn't a weatherproofed E620 be an attractive proposition!
    Ah, Jono, what can I say LOL!?! I do remember back to that wonderful Oly color and how much I liked my old E10. I'll never say never--though I do like shooting FF and its output, but I'm more open to another system these days. Gosh, I'm even planning to sell a few EF lenses LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Thought about it--and in the end found a new in box adaptor that saved me a good bit (and will also give me the option to add other alternative lenses LOL), on its way and bought a 9-18 last night--should have both by first of the week. The difference will probably go towards the 20 f/1.7 this Fall. Now--looking forward to shooting with a WA on the G1--what a nice light package it will be for a 9-135mm/200mm, whether I choose to use the Panny lenses or my FD primes in the range up to 135mm. A HUGE difference when I'm out hiking or walking from carrying my 5D with 3 huge zooms (or even some smaller primes).

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

can i ask what you paid for the 9-18? was it new?

they are available locally for 629. canadian/ 506. u.s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    can i ask what you paid for the 9-18? was it new?

they are available locally for 699. canadian.
    I paid $540 at B & H with free shipping--new. I wanted to buy last night since they close down this afternoon for the Sabbath and wouldn't ship again until Monday--this way I should have it Monday or Tuesday *smile*. Once I decide--I really like it in hand LOL. I got notice that my adaptor was shipped today also so, hopefully, I will be shooting WA with the G1 mid week--now if ONLY the rain storms will clear.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

snowing like hell here...

so, my local price is not too bad...though i can live without the ultra wide for awhile.
    i quite like the 2 lens kit, 28 to 400 in such a small, lightweight kit.

and the 20 should make a great street lens.

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    snowing like hell here...

so, my local price is not too bad...though i can live without the ultra wide for awhile.
    i quite like the 2 lens kit, 28 to 400 in such a small, lightweight kit.

and the 20 should make a great street lens.

thanks.
    We're past snow---hopefully, though its happened before. We're very 'Spring' right now. Even thunderstorms due this afternoon.

I'm not a street shooter but I could live with a 20 f/1.7 for a lot of shooting. Right now I'm using an FD 24 f/2.8 but MF--so I'm looking forward a great deal to the 20 f/1.7.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

I paid $540 at B & H (...) I got notice that my adaptor was shipped today also so, hopefully, I will be shooting WA with the G1 mid week--now if ONLY the rain storms will clear.
    As I recently bought the ZD9-18 I do of course think you did the right thing.

The ZD9-18, the adapter and the G20/1.7 for the same money, or at least not much more, than the G7-14. AN easy choice if one doesn't need the 7-8mm focal length.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas, that's what I decided. I did a metadata search in LR and found that, though I own a 12-24, 15-30 for my 5D and other bodies, I rarely shot at 12-16, so knew I would be fine with the 9-18mm. Besides that--I won't really have much difference in size--actually just the adaptor--AND I will have a bit more flexibility for other lenses or even stacking adaptors if I choose. As you pointed out---*smile*---I'll have that extra for the 20 f/1.7--win/win for me.

Diane

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a photo of the 9-18 mounted on a G1 somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Diane, the E-10/20 were great cameras.....a way ahead of their time, but that was a long time ago. Now, the technology has advanced to such an extent that we now have a very hungry appetite for goodies that we don't even know existed before. I still like the simplicity of the three things that film gave us, control of the aperture, control of the shutter speed, and control of focussing! What else was needed to make a good photographer?? Why of course it was/is the person behind the camera that counts!!
    Here are three from 2002 on the E-10/20 from Calyfornia!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Is there a photo of the 9-18 mounted on a G1 somewhere?
    Right here:

As I mentioned above the hood is a pain; it is uncomfortably big for my bag. The good thing is that a standard 72mm filter can be used without causing vignetting.

I use to have my lenses standing with the front pointing down for easy access and switching. So, I have ordered a metal screw on WA hood which I plan to dremel down appropriately some day. I hope to get a hood with less wide but still protecting the front element when the lens is standing in the bag. For now the original hood will do. Regards, /Jonas

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Right here:

. . . . As I mentioned above the hood is a pain; it is uncomfortably big for my bag. The good thing is that a standard 72mm filter can be used without causing vignetting. . . .
    /Jonas
    Not a lot of difference in size. Thankyou Jonas.

Guess for a lot of the time I'll leave the kit lens out of the bag. The range of 18 - 36 (35 equiv) is nice

Keith

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Here are three from 2002 on the E-10/20 from Calyfornia!!
    The position of the subject in the timber braces is great. Obviously, carefully thought out as the angles work so well. Super photograph!

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Keith for your kind remarks and yes, it was thought out. That this the pier at Huntington Beach and the young lady is/was a fellow E-10/20 owner and is now up to date with the Olympus system.
    Here is what it is like above the pier, and looking down at the beach we see, oh my goodness!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, indeed the E10/20 were a long time ago. That's where Jono and I became acquainted years ago. I really would have stuck with the Oly system I think but really wanted to move onto an interchangable lens cam. Canon and Nikon announced in Feb 2002 and Oly had that d**n wooden mockup LOL. I was able to get my hands on a D60 (and added a D30 for backup for my parttime commercial interior work) that year and that became my system. I was ready to add a medium format film system, had my eye on what I needed and was just procrastinating--and the 5D was announced. That's sort of 'all they wrote' for me for the last 3.5 years (though I had several 1.6x bodies in between the D60 and the 5D).

I'm pretty heavily invested--and pretty happy--with the Canon system but really wanted a smaller camera for travel, hiking, etc. I've tried a G9, the 400D and was keeping my eye on the DP1 when the G1 was announced. I really didn't expect to be so enthralled with another camera so soon--but its in my hands every day now. I can see using the FF for certain situation, landscapes for very big prints--but I'm having such fun with the G1 and both the Panny lenses and my 4 FD lenses. Adding the 9-18 seems a good choice for now. There may be a time I will phase out of the Canon system--not anytime soon, but there's always a possibility--and I just couldn't see a 'con' to the choice (and, because I love using the MF lenses, it opens up some other possibilies).

Really like the composition of the one under the pier.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas--what handstrap is that you have on the G1 please?? I use a wrist/hand strap on all my cameras and though the G1 doesn't really need it--and I have a nice Gordy's wrist strap, I do like the security and the feel of one more similar to yours. I have various ones--the Canon E1 attached to an L bracket for the 5D, an old Camdaptor for the 10DIR and one I'm not sure of (with plastic mount on bottom to tripod screw) for the 400D.

Diane

pix2pixels

Please excuse my ignorance and if I missed the info in other posts.
    Do the Olympus lenses maintain the AF and aperture control with the G1?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list of the AF compatible lenses.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...onnect/g1.html

pix2pixels

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

...what handstrap is that you have on the G1 please?
    May I also give you my answer, Diane:

I use a Nikon AH-4, the same as on the D700 and it fits perfectly on the G1

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petermcwerner View Post
    May I also give you my answer, Diane:

I use a Nikon AH-4, the same as on the D700 and it fits perfectly on the G1

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter, thanks very much. I checked it and now know where it attaches on the camera.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas--what handstrap is that you have on the G1 please?? (...)
    Hi,

That's a Camdapter handstrap attached to a camdapter bottom plate for the Manfrotto QR system. I have a Manfrotto MGRC2 head on my legs (lol, sorry) so it is a RC2 plate then. The head and the plate took OK care about my 5D and does really good with the little G1.

The handstrap makes it very easy to reach for the camera in the bag and get it out quickly. When carrying the camera in hand it is, as you know, a relief for the muscles in the hand and the fingers.

regards, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks, I have an old Camdaptor with Arca Swiss plate (its on my 400D at the moment). I know he has new plates now--and perhaps a little lighter weight. Mine seems heavy for what it is, but it works well. I'll have to look at his handstraps now since I know he's improved the line.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks, I have an old Camdaptor with Arca Swiss plate (...)
    The Arca Swiss is probably better than my Manfrotto, Magnesium Hydrostatic or not...

I met a couple of other 4/3 system users (DPR people, all very nice IRL) today. The little ZD9-18 was of great interest to one of them and impressed on all thanks to good performance and a very nice performance to size/weight ratio.

My G1 was the only one there and it was met with silence... No, not really, but the open minded souls were all impressed by the viewfinder. Other notes; the Zuiko OM90/2 Macro won a place in everybody's heart I think. So nice, so sharp, such good bokeh. But expensive and long, of course.

regards, /Jonas