The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is a gimbal head overkill?

Jeffg53

I have been experimenting with my EM1 2 and the 300 for bird photography. So far, it's either handheld or ballhead mounted but I'm wondering if a gimbal head may be a good idea. Many years ago I had a Canon 500 which I used on a Wimberly Sidekick. It was a great combo but that was film ... It occurs to me that the gimbal head may be easier to work with over time but I'm wondering if there are any other advantages. I still need a fast shutter, IBIS does a great job, and high ISO is very good so why would I bother?

stngoldberg

If the weight isn’t a problem for you a gimbal isn’t necessary. I’ve done a considerable amount of bird photography, and find that my in focus percentage hand held is much much higher hand held, but when I shoot with my Nikon 500 f4 lens, at my age, my arms complain after about a minute or so.
Stanley

Jeffg53

Thanks. I must admit that age is a serious consideration but this new gear is so light that I think that I'll give it a try first. With a 1.4 on the 300, I can get an 840 equivalent. That weight on full frame doesn't bear contemplation.

k-hawinkler

Hi Jeff, unless I shoot video or try to capture critters in the same background frame, I always shoot handheld. Being age-wise north of 70, I find using a chair or leaning on something firm helps tremendously getting tack sharp images with that gear. IBIS is simply an indispensable miracle component. Enjoy. :thumbs:

SrMphoto

There are two questions being discussed here: handheld vs tripod and gimbal vs ball head (only the latter question was asked by OP). Tripod has the advantage of putting less strain on your arms and being able to keep your camera ready and pointed at the subject, thus being able to react quicker. Disadvantage is clear. Gimbal head is better for following an animal, but a ball head also works and can be used for landscape as well.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Monopod with a RRS head ... used to shoot with pro Canon and Nikon bodies and smaller (F4 F5.6) 300 and 400 lenses
without IBIS or optical stabilization and shots were very good.

CF monopod and head weight is minimal ... but results are worth the effort. You will need a L-Bracket for verticals as dropping the head 90 degrees puts the weight on the side
of the monopod ... workable but less than ideal.

I found with a smaller gimbal X1D and 300 the the vibration was worse than on a ball head ... shooting landscapes with everything locked down on the gimbal it took 8 - 10
seconds for the vibration of pushing the shutter button to die down when viewed at 100% mag in live view.

Jeffg53

Thanks for the replies, folks, much food for thought. My inclination is to go handheld to start and see how that goes. North of 70 makes life more complicated in many ways including photography.

I haven’t done this since I shot film and 400ISO was fast. It’s staggering how things have changed for the better.