The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The lens I've been waiting for: OLY 150-400 PRO

ptomsu

Workshop Member
:cool::cool:
Relax - it's just a rumour, but if true this could be very interesting: (FT2) Is Olympus developing a new 150-400mm PRO Zoom?
Hopefully designed with its strength at the long end ... :lecture:

:watch:
Have heard and read the same rumor and my reaction is in best case - hmmmm .....

While it would definitely make up for a super lens I doubt that this would be a lens really practical in the Olympus PRO lens lineup. This would equal a 300-800 at whatever F4 or F5.6 - OMG what a nonsense.

The market of shooters needing this focal range in one zoom would be pretty small I guess. I would definitely be not one of them! I would rather have expected a fast 75-300 F4 or F4.5 content aperture zoom and 75 would be the lowest acceptable focal length I would ask for in such a zoom.

A 150-400 would be a pure prestige-kind of lens with not much practical value. And the price would also be in stellar regions - not many would be able or willing to pay for such a lens :(.

I really hope it does NOT materialise and instead some other much more necessary lenses! But hey, even if it comes there will be much more other mirrorless brands to choose from in the future like Canon and Nikon, so there would be lot of possibilities to spend my money otherwise and more intelligent :cool::ROTFL::wtf:

bensonga

There seem to be more than a few people who have found a use for the PL 100-400, so I would think a Oly 150-400 Pro lens would fill a similar niche and match up nicely with the 40-150 Pro. The 40-150 Pro I purchased arrived today and my first impressions are that I love the build quality and design of the lens. I especially appreciate the internal zooming design. If a 150-400 Pro had that same internal zooming design (which the PL 100-400 and PL 50-200 do not), that would be a real plus IMHO. I would expect the price of the Oly 150-400 to be roughly in the same ballpark as the PL 100-400, depending on it's maximum aperture.

Gary

Knorp

I'd like this: internal focusing and aperture ranging from ±4.0 to max 5.6, but it will probably be huge and heavy.
As a walk-around lens I found the PL 100-400 a treat.
The 40-150/2.8 is manageable, but the 300/4.0 is already quite a handful.
However, I do hope Oly is really developing a super telezoom.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'd like this: internal focusing and aperture ranging from ±4.0 to max 5.6, but it will probably be huge and heavy.
As a walk-around lens I found the PL 100-400 a treat.
The 40-150/2.8 is manageable, but the 300/4.0 is already quite a handful.
However, I do hope Oly is really developing a super telezoom.
As i said a super telecom would be what I want, but make it start at 75 or 100 please!

bensonga

I would be good with 100 too Peter. It would be nice to have a little overlap in the focal length. But I wouldn't say no to a 150-400/4 lens either. Assuming I could find a way to rationalize buying it.

Gary

Last edited: