The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How goos do you find m43 IQ today?

Knorp

Today's latest rumour: "The new Olympus high end camera will have advanced video features".
I wouldn't be surprised if it is true, but what a disillusion ... :facesmack:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today's latest rumour: "The new Olympus high end camera will have advanced video features".
I wouldn't be surprised if it is true, but what a disillusion ... :facesmack:
Read this as well - I am puzzled because lately a high level Olympus person (forgot his name) said explicitly that Olympus will not go seriously into video and rather concentrate on photographers cameras.

I myself would welcome a much better video solution by Olympus - means more straight forward AF-C with really working eye AF as well as serious 4k capabilities like 60P 4K, maybe also 120P 4K and up to 200Mbps data rates.

What I definitely want to see in a new high end model is a much, Much, MUCH improved EVF (at least as good as Fuji X-H1 or maybe even 5MP with >120fps refresh rate) or I am out of the Olympus game ....

Knorp

Read this as well - I am puzzled because lately a high level Olympus person (forgot his name) said explicitly that Olympus will not go seriously into video and rather concentrate on photographers cameras.

I myself would welcome a much better video solution by Olympus - means more straight forward AF-C with really working eye AF as well as serious 4k capabilities like 60P 4K, maybe also 120P 4K and up to 200Mbps data rates.

What I definitely want to see in a new high end model is a much, Much, MUCH improved EVF (at least as good as Fuji X-H1 or maybe even 5MP with >120fps refresh rate) or I am out of the Olympus game ....
The answer is Nikon Mirrorless ... :grin:

iiiNelson

Well better they start talking soon - waiting for a real Pro Axyz solution already since too long ....
Well they do have a “real pro solution” but whether or not you want it is another matter. Plenty of pros have worked with them for years.

I don’t know that anyone else is going to have the lens selection with modern lenses that they have anytime soon. I’ve been told for the last 5 years that adapting lenses is viable for professional use... Nikon is rumored to do that exact thing and it’s okay for pros to adapt now... I’d say I’m confused but I’m not... not at all. Some people are going to be anti-Sony no matter how capable the camera is and that’s fine. Just want people to own their bias.

Oh and the last part isnt directed at you. Just speaking in general.

Oh and back on subject... the Micro 4/3 is a good option for the average persona and those that want small/light/compact. Lense selection is good. Sensors are better than they were in the past. Video is top notch. 4:3 is a nice aspect ratio.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well they do have a “real pro solution” but whether or not you want it is another matter. Plenty of pros have worked with them for years.

I don’t know that anyone else is going to have the lens selection with modern lenses that they have anytime soon. I’ve been told for the last 5 years that adapting lenses is viable for professional use... Nikon is rumored to do that exact thing and it’s okay for pros to adapt now... I’d say I’m confused but I’m not... not at all. Some people are going to be anti-Sony no matter how capable the camera is and that’s fine. Just want people to own their bias.

Oh and the last part isnt directed at you. Just speaking in general.

Oh and back on subject... the Micro 4/3 is a good option for the average persona and those that want small/light/compact. Lense selection is good. Sensors are better than they were in the past. Video is top notch. 4:3 is a nice aspect ratio.
Only real gripe I have with Sony (even A9 etc.) that the grip to lens distance is to small for my hands (fingers) but that almost excludes these camera system for me :banghead:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Only real gripe I have with Sony (even A9 etc.) that the grip to lens distance is to small for my hands (fingers) but that almost excludes these camera system for me :banghead:
Interesting that you mention this. I don't even have particularly large hands, but with some lenses, the Sony A7/R III bodies are uncomfortable for me to use because of this. This is not a problem with any of the m4/3 bodies, and Nikon seems to have made a mirrorless body wide enough to avoid the issue, although holding the camera in hand will be necessary to check it out.

Re: Stoked to be an average persona

M4/3 and specifically Olympus is particularly appropriate for underwater stills and video due to the smaller size of the camera and housings available. The 60 macro, 12-40 Pro and the Panasonic Lumix 7-14 are superb for underwater work, and the housings, being lighter and smaller, don't require the addition of large amounts of flotation foam to achieve neutral buoyancy. Nothing scares small fish more than a huge housing and a diver blowing bubbles.

I recently housed my OMD EM5 Mk2 in an inexpensive Meikon Housing and don't require any flotation aids given the small footprint of the housing. Some will scoff at polycarbonate housings when the norm is aluminum housings and ports, but my work is done relatively shallow while free diving so I don't need the added weight and bulk of larger housings.

A few from my first two dives with the housing and EM5 Mk2 with the 60 Macro, in my front yard (the Sea of Cortez). First is a juvenile King Angelfish followed by two Browncheek Blennies, each under 5cm long:
_5152403.jpgP6033626.jpg_5162876sm.jpg

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Interesting that you mention this. I don't even have particularly large hands, but with some lenses, the Sony A7/R III bodies are uncomfortable for me to use because of this. This is not a problem with any of the m4/3 bodies, and Nikon seems to have made a mirrorless body wide enough to avoid the issue, although holding the camera in hand will be necessary to check it out.
All mirrorless m43 cameras I owned were comfortable to hold, even the GH2. Also Fuji X-T2 with battery grip mounted and also the X-H1 (actually much more comfortable to hold).

There is serious hope that the new Nikon mirrorless body will do better WRT grip - lens room/distance :thumbs:

Knorp

Bart, if that's the answer, what is the question? :loco:
I just really don't know, K-H. If you look at the speculations, excitement and above all the dramatic tease, one would think this Nikon mirrorless is the ultimate and final answer to all current mirrorless' poor implementations.
Of course like me, YMMV also ... :grin:

:watch:

Knorp

Here you have a point and I experienced in particular with the Voigtländer 65/2, mounted on my A7R2, the lens barrel scuffs my fingers, also confirmed by Barry Haines, but it's only with this lens thus far.
However, that's why I think the G9 (and as Peter mentioned the X-H1) has a much better body design.
The Sony A7/A9 series bodies are perhaps just too small for lenses with really wide barrels, but it's the lack of sufficient height that bothers me most, hence my use of the grip-extender.

bensonga

With the exception of my Pana GX8s and Fuji X-Pro1, ALL of my Pana, Oly, Fuji and Sony mirrorless bodies have the vertical battery grips attached. For me they are just more comfortable to hold and use with the grip attached, regardless of what lens I have on them. I do not mind the extra size, as long as the body with grip will fit into my camera bag.

Re the image quality of m43 cameras, especially those made in the past few years....it is good enough for most of the images I take and prints I make.

Gary

Last edited:

iiiNelson

With the exception of my Pana GX8s and Fuji X-Pro1, ALL of my Pana, Oly, Fuji and Sony mirrorless bodies have the vertical battery grips attached. For me they are just more comfortable to hold and use with the grip attached, regardless of what lens I have on them. I do not mind the extra size, as long as the body with grip will fit into my camera bag.

Re the image quality of m43 cameras, especially those made in the past few years....it is good enough for most of the images I take and prints I make.

Gary
I find that I almost always have my grip attached for this reason as well. I personally feel that the XH1 (and GFX) are the most comfortable Mirrorless Cameras on the market, as stated in a thread I started in the Sony section, that I’ve held and I’d like Sony to maybe make the next A9’s a bit larger since they’re more likely to be used with the larger pro lenses but keep the A7 line about the same size as they are now.

I havent used a G9 yet but I have handled the GH5 in the past. It seemed a little beefier than it needed to be for the Len size but I take it that was more about including a larger heat sink for video features.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Gary
When it comes to ergonomics, the GX8 is hard to beat, which is one of the reasons why I've bought a second body. It has been critized for being to large, and it is very wide for this kind of camera, but it's an extremely comfortable camera to hold, also with big, heavy lenses.

Knorp

When it comes to ergonomics, the GX8 is hard to beat, which is one of the reasons why I've bought a second body. It has been critized for being to large, and it is very wide for this kind of camera, but it's an extremely comfortable camera to hold, also with big, heavy lenses.
Hard to beat ?
In terms of ergonomics I found my G9 a real revelation compared to my GX8.
My gripe with the GX8 and larger/heavier lenses is I have to grip it firmly and in doing so unintentially pressing one or more buttons with my thumb.

bensonga

A pair of GX8s with the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 definitely works for me when I'm traveling. :thumbs:

But especially for larger lenses, I prefer a body with grip attached.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hard to beat ?
In terms of ergonomics I found my G9 a real revelation compared to my GX8.
My gripe with the GX8 and larger/heavier lenses is I have to grip it firmly and in doing so unintentially pressing one or more buttons with my thumb.
I should have written: Within it's size and form factor class. A GX8 without a lens is so easy to fit into tiny spaces in a bag :)

Knorp

I should have written: Within it's size and form factor class. A GX8 without a lens is so easy to fit into tiny spaces in a bag :)
Can't (and will not) argue with that, Jørgen.
But I do like my GX8 with the 'tiny' PL 15/1.7 attached when walking in town.

Krgds.