The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone changing system to the new Nikon mirrorless?

biglouis

I never say never but so far I have not seen anything in the recently announced Nikon mirrorless camera system which would entice me away from m43rds.

In fact, and I know I'll be shot down in flames for this - I think Nikon have entirely missed the point of mirrorless systems.

To my mind there are two reasons to go mirrorless, (a) reduce weight and size, i.e. m43rds, (b) to leapfrog into larger 'medium format' sensors, e.g. Fujifilm (and sort-of Hasselblad).

In fact, the latter is what I would expect Panasonic and Olympus to do: forget FF and go for MF (especially with Panasonic's link to Leica).

But in any case apart from the fact that so far I see no promise of weight reduction (the lenses for the Nikon system will be relatively larger than m43rds just like Sony mirrorless) or a line up of lenses which would entice me, as a m4rds (and coincidentally, also a Fujifilm GFX) owner, away.

In fact, I reiterate, I really think Nikon has missed the point. The roadmap for their lenses show no long prime or telephoto for the wildlife/sports crowd anywhere. The whole beauty of the m43rds system to me is weight reduction and crop factor. For wildlife, now that the lineup includes the G9 (weather sealed) and the Lumix 200/2.8 (or the Oly 300/4 if that is your desire) the promise of m43rds is of age.

Maybe there is something I am missing and suddenly I will get a light bulb moment? In fact, as an old Nikon shooter I was hoping I'd be wooed away by Nikon. I'd happily use a 300/4 PF for wildlife (plus TCs) and I've always wanted to justify owning the awesome Nikkor 200 macro. I still could with a D500 but I just cannot conceive of not using an EVF for my photography. The analogue viewfinder is a dead technology, imho.

Ah, but you say, what about the FE adaptor, so you can mount all that lovely Nikon glass on these new cameras? Well, I say - adapters are fine but am I really going to rely on using adapted lenses as my primary source of wildlife photography? I think not. In any case the 9fps continuous shooting speed is pedestrian comapred to the top of the line m43rds cameras - and again, I cannot understand this kind of limitation - other than Nikon having made the mistake of falling for the marketing trick of monster pixels which automatically limits continuous shooting speed.

OK, well clearly the Nikon is not for me. But I have to ask - who is it for? Professionals? Street photographers? What kind of enthusiasts?

The fact that it cannot be the basis of the wildlife/sports/action system is very puzzling indeed. Did the Nikon engineers not take a peek at Olympus and Panasonic, or were they so arrogant as to think that as the dominant professional camera systems manufacturer (an increasingly tenuous position, imho) that they knew better?

I often eat my words. As and when I tire of the Fujifilm system perhaps I will want to move into the comparatively lightweight world of Nikon or Canon (in the future) mirrorless. But I also produced a lot of published work with my m43rds cameras (primarily my GX8, as it happens) and my best lens was an Olympus 7-14/2.8 (which I reluctantly sold in order to afford the Fujinon 23mm for my GFX). My heart may love Nikon and Fujinon but my head will continue to say - how much better - if any, are these systems over m43rds?

Tony and Chelsea Northrup have a video claiming conventional DSLRs are going to die out. Well, they may right but they also think Panasonic and especially Olympus are going to feel the pinch of Nikon (and soon Canon) mirrorless. I think they are wrong. Consumers are rational. Some will be die hard Nikon users but as soon as they consider going Nikon mirrorless they are going to look at the alternatives and the value proposition based on features of Panasonic and Olympus are I believe hard to beat.

It will be interesting to fast forward 2-3 years. Three years ago I never expected Sony to end up being the dominant camera systems manufacturer in the world. But I recall 3 years ago people had also written off Panasonic and Olympus. In fact, it seems to me that it is Nikon and Canon who are going to struggle in the future and not any of the other three manufacturers.

Just my two cents and of course highly opinionated.

LouisB

iiiNelson

I never say never but so far I have not seen anything in the recently announced Nikon mirrorless camera system which would entice me away from m43rds.

In fact, and I know I'll be shot down in flames for this - I think Nikon have entirely missed the point of mirrorless systems.

To my mind there are two reasons to go mirrorless, (a) reduce weight and size, i.e. m43rds, (b) to leapfrog into larger 'medium format' sensors, e.g. Fujifilm (and sort-of Hasselblad).

In fact, the latter is what I would expect Panasonic and Olympus to do: forget FF and go for MF (especially with Panasonic's link to Leica).

But in any case apart from the fact that so far I see no promise of weight reduction (the lenses for the Nikon system will be relatively larger than m43rds just like Sony mirrorless) or a line up of lenses which would entice me, as a m4rds (and coincidentally, also a Fujifilm GFX) owner, away.

In fact, I reiterate, I really think Nikon has missed the point. The roadmap for their lenses show no long prime or telephoto for the wildlife/sports crowd anywhere. The whole beauty of the m43rds system to me is weight reduction and crop factor. For wildlife, now that the lineup includes the G9 (weather sealed) and the Lumix 200/2.8 (or the Oly 300/4 if that is your desire) the promise of m43rds is of age.

Maybe there is something I am missing and suddenly I will get a light bulb moment? In fact, as an old Nikon shooter I was hoping I'd be wooed away by Nikon. I'd happily use a 300/4 PF for wildlife (plus TCs) and I've always wanted to justify owning the awesome Nikkor 200 macro. I still could with a D500 but I just cannot conceive of not using an EVF for my photography. The analogue viewfinder is a dead technology, imho.

Ah, but you say, what about the FE adaptor, so you can mount all that lovely Nikon glass on these new cameras? Well, I say - adapters are fine but am I really going to rely on using adapted lenses as my primary source of wildlife photography? I think not. In any case the 9fps continuous shooting speed is pedestrian comapred to the top of the line m43rds cameras - and again, I cannot understand this kind of limitation - other than Nikon having made the mistake of falling for the marketing trick of monster pixels which automatically limits continuous shooting speed.

OK, well clearly the Nikon is not for me. But I have to ask - who is it for? Professionals? Street photographers? What kind of enthusiasts?

The fact that it cannot be the basis of the wildlife/sports/action system is very puzzling indeed. Did the Nikon engineers not take a peek at Olympus and Panasonic, or were they so arrogant as to think that as the dominant professional camera systems manufacturer (an increasingly tenuous position, imho) that they knew better?

I often eat my words. As and when I tire of the Fujifilm system perhaps I will want to move into the comparatively lightweight world of Nikon or Canon (in the future) mirrorless. But I also produced a lot of published work with my m43rds cameras (primarily my GX8, as it happens) and my best lens was an Olympus 7-14/2.8 (which I reluctantly sold in order to afford the Fujinon 23mm for my GFX). My heart may love Nikon and Fujinon but my head will continue to say - how much better - if any, are these systems over m43rds?

Tony and Chelsea Northrup have a video claiming conventional DSLRs are going to die out. Well, they may right but they also think Panasonic and especially Olympus are going to feel the pinch of Nikon (and soon Canon) mirrorless. I think they are wrong. Consumers are rational. Some will be die hard Nikon users but as soon as they consider going Nikon mirrorless they are going to look at the alternatives and the value proposition based on features of Panasonic and Olympus are I believe hard to beat.

It will be interesting to fast forward 2-3 years. Three years ago I never expected Sony to end up being the dominant camera systems manufacturer in the world. But I recall 3 years ago people had also written off Panasonic and Olympus. In fact, it seems to me that it is Nikon and Canon who are going to struggle in the future and not any of the other three manufacturers.

LouisB
I agree with most of your points and there’s a good Hugh Brownstone video out there that sort of echo many of your statements (and my own preliminary analysis of the system).

https://youtu.be/RQY-yN05-SY

Regarding lens size it seems the lenses are even larger than the Sony lenses. So I don’t think the smaller/lighter design is going to be apart of the Nikon FF Mirrorless ethos - but I also don’t feel it has to be for every system either. I still point people to Micro 4/3 when size is a concern. It just can’t be beat by any other system even if the higher end bodies are FF camera size now compared to when the G1 and PEN were released 10 years ago.

I have no doubt the camera will be good but the camera is clearly made for existing Nikon users Full Stop. Really my only “issue” with this camera is that it doesn’t provide anything new really in terms of usability for the Mirrorless market but it does provide Nikon shooters with a familiar platform. I feel there’s so self-preservation of DSLR’s going on there... but I expected that much truthfully from Nikon. It’s a step in the right direction when compared to the Nikon 1 but it’s not the Mirrorless Revolution/reinvention they marketed. It’s a product aimed at “stopping their bleeding” but not one aimed at dominating he marketplace and enticing users of other systems that may have already dropped Nikon for other products and to me that’s a shame being that they had a 5 year period to observe the market and respond accordingly.

Admittedly inwas never the market for them then because I really don’t care all that much for the haptics of Nikon cameras but I’m always interested in what’s on the market.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's not that simple.

20 MP G9 with PL 200mm f/2.8
Weight: 1,900 gram
Price: $4,500

45 MP Z7 with Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF
Weight: 1,600 gram (including adapter, guestimated to 250g)
Price: $5,650

There are many things to consider here, and the choice depends on the situation. Currently, I travel a lot, and I depend on compact telephoto lenses plus compact camera bodies. None offers anything that compares to the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, and not really anything that compares to the Panasonic 100-300mm.

However, the Nikon files are much, much better (and higher resolution) than anything m4/3 can offer. If I had been shooting more paid jobs, I would have changed, and as you see, there isn't necessarily a major weight punishment.

Another side of this is that most Nikon lenses also can be used with SLR cameras, film and digital, although there are limitations.

Currently, I'm very happy with the GM5/GX8 combo, but I won't rule a change out. I've used Nikon cameras for many years, and they've always served me well. I'm sure these new ones would also. We'll see next year.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

It's not that simple.

20 MP G9 with PL 200mm f/2.8
Weight: 1,900 gram
Price: $4,500

45 MP Z7 with Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF
Weight: 1,600 gram (including adapter, guestimated to 250g)
Price: $5,650

There are many things to consider here, and the choice depends on the situation. Currently, I travel a lot, and I depend on compact telephoto lenses plus compact camera bodies. None offers anything that compares to the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, and not really anything that compares to the Panasonic 100-300mm.

However, the Nikon files are much, much better (and higher resolution) than anything m4/3 can offer. If I had been shooting more paid jobs, I would have changed, and as you see, there isn't necessarily a major weight punishment.

Another side of this is that most Nikon lenses also can be used with SLR cameras, film and digital, although there are limitations.

Currently, I'm very happy with the GM5/GX8 combo, but I won't rule a change out. I've used Nikon cameras for many years, and they've always served me well. I'm sure these new ones would also. We'll see next year.
Seems like you’d need to compare it to a 150mm lens for Micro 4/3 or a 400mm with Nikon correct? In any case the lenses CAN be made smaller and lighter for FF but at a cost if we judge by the new Sony 400mm which is 2lbs (1kg for the metric types) lighter. But it’ll always be a losing prospect comparing to smaller sensors.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Seems like you’d need to compare it to a 150mm lens for Micro 4/3 or a 400mm with Nikon correct? In any case the lenses CAN be made smaller and lighter for FF but at a cost if we judge by the new Sony 400mm which is 2lbs (1kg for the metric types) lighter. But it’ll always be a losing prospect comparing to smaller sensors.
These are not exact equivalents, but an image from the Nikon can always be cropped to 20MP/400mm. I'm sure the Leica is optically superior to the Nikkor, but again, it must all be seen in a greater perspective.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

LouisB
Just for the sake of information: Sony is still number 3 among ILC makers with around 13% market share. Canon leads with 41% and Nikon is number 2 with 24%. The remaining 12% are shared between all the others. How this will change now remains to be seen, but Nikon probably won't become less popular with these two new cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The biggest differentiator between m43 and FF is still the fact of much shallower DOF and much better high ISO performance and DR for FF. Anyone thinking about leaving m43 for whatever FF alternative should be aware of that - true already since ever BTW.

If however the advantages of m43 are what you need (much smaller lenses at longer focal length) then you should still choose one of the leading m43 solutions.

biglouis

Sour grapes for something you had no part in making
Not sure what you mean by that.

Those of us who have been with m43rds for some time (my first camera was the GF1) have been waiting for one of the big guys to really wow us with their creativity.

Personally, I'm still waiting.

Some good thoughtful comments, so far.

LouisB

Shashin

Not m4/3, but Fuji APSC. No, I am not thinking of getting Nikon mirrorless. At any given aperture, I get more DoF with the smaller format, something I want. The Fuji package is still smaller. And I have access to high-quality optics for less. My cameras have a dual card slot, something that you only appreciate when one of your cards is corrupt.

Right now, camera technology is not the real limit to my photography.

Confession: I really don't like buying camera stuff, so I might not be representative of the GetDPI population.

biglouis

Right now, camera technology is not the real limit to my photography.
So true! Made me "lol".

I have begun to appreciate how good Fuji are in terms of optics and technology. If they introduced a long prime which was relatively light then their APSC cameras would be a competitor to my G9+200/2.8 combination.

LouisB

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It seems to me that the Nikon mirrorless announcements appeal to those that want to STAY Nikon, vs those who expect to swap from another camera system. If I were selling up all of my lenses, or potentially reusing them (as with Canon), then I'd probably go with Sony today unless having a weather sealed system was important.

Just my $0.02. (full disclosure, I pretty much sold up all of my Nikon gear to go Sony A7R/A7RII etc, and then, disappointed with the Sony system, I sold all that stuff and went to Fuji GFX and I couldn't be happier).

biglouis

It seems to me that the Nikon mirrorless announcements appeal to those that want to STAY Nikon, vs those who expect to swap from another camera system. If I were selling up all of my lenses, or potentially reusing them (as with Canon), then I'd probably go with Sony today unless having a weather sealed system was important.

Just my $0.02. (full disclosure, I pretty much sold up all of my Nikon gear to go Sony A7R/A7RII etc, and then, disappointed with the Sony system, I sold all that stuff and went to Fuji GFX and I couldn't be happier).
It was a big decision and investment for me but I did pretty much the same and sold all my film equipment and all my Sigma cameras (which I really liked). Like you I wanted to try MF digital (at least once in my life). I love the Fuji. I mean literally. It is unnatural!

I now feel I have two great systems. One for wildlife and one for landscape. (The landscape one is a bit OTT but hey...)

LouisB

momo

maybe adding but no change...

Have been contemplating an update to my D700 for a long time. Due to health issues and age am wanting smaller, lighter. So. Might add the z6 or 7. Will wait a few months. Go to my local camera shop. Play with them. See how they do with my older ai-s lenses. I have some af-d and af-s lenses too. I am not in a rush. I want to hear how loud the shutter is. I want to hold them. It's important to me. Feel in hand is important.

This would be mainly for landscape work. I'm contemplating the z7 to work in square mode and still come away with great, large files. And maybe I'll just look and decide against. Waiting to see what photokina brings. Seems like lots of things happening. Fun to watch all the new stuff roll out.

Would not sell my m1 markll. No way. I love it for street and just about everything else. I have a handful of very good small lenses. I just think it's great. No way I need full frame for street work.

Am only now going to start printing some images from the oly, compare them to the d700, and my two smaller cameras, a gr from ricoh and even the canon g7x mark ll. I print small, so I don't need/want full frame for anything but landscape. Most of my printing is A4. I sometimes go larger with landscape. It was seeing the prints of Michael Kenna that showed me landscape need not be printed big to blow me away. I love his printed work.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
When one or both of my two GX8 bodies wear out, I'll consider a change, but to what I don't know. Anything from another m4/3 to Fuji GFX is on the list. Nikon is a possibility, but at the moment, Fuji and Panasonic are the most likely candidates.

biglouis

And now Canon have come the party (late again).

And with another small body with large lenses.

I just don't think Nikon and Canon 'get' mirrorless.

LouisB

Bugleone

What seems to be overlooked in all of this is that photographers are NOT the main benficiaries of 'mirrorless'......the real gains are by the makers themselves as the expensive mirror mechanism has been eliminated. Cameras are not very lucrative.....nikons main profits come much further down the range with their entry level products. D3400 was their most numerous and most profitable model.

.......In 'bigLouis's' original post he overlooked the ability of mirrorless to use a much greater choice of lenses, not just those of the particular body maker. there are many keen photographers using this including those who require specialist lenses for specific pupose.