The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

Knorp

Getting even better - lot of L-mount lenses ...

• Panasonic will announce a new Full Frame Mirrorless system camera on September 25
    [*]Panasonic FF mirrorless camera will have similar design as Panasonic G9 w/ Leica SL-mount.
  • Panasonic-Leica-Sigma will announce a new partnership around the SL mount FF system
  • Leica and other companies will announce a new website called “L-mount.com” soon
  • Panasonic will only show a prototype with non finalized specs
  • The new camera will go on market by March 2019
  • Panasonic has designed this new sensor
  • The camera will have way more than 42 Megapixels
  • The camera has excellent video quality
  • There will be MANY new SL mount lenses!

There was a rumour about Panasonic 'streamlining' their portfolio to keep only the GX- and GH-lines.
I think their latest 'G' was a serious excercise in building a 'FF look-a-like' forerunner ...

Just my two guilders ... :p
I think I've earned my two guilders ... :angel:

SrMphoto

Getting even better - lot of L-mount lenses ...

• Panasonic will announce a new Full Frame Mirrorless system camera on September 25
  • Panasonic FF mirrorless camera will have similar design as Panasonic G9 w/ Leica SL-mount.
  • Panasonic-Leica-Sigma will announce a new partnership around the SL mount FF system
  • Leica and other companies will announce a new website called “L-mount.com” soon
  • Panasonic will only show a prototype with non finalized specs
  • The new camera will go on market by March 2019
  • Panasonic has designed this new sensor
  • The camera will have way more than 42 Megapixels
  • The camera has excellent video quality
  • There will be MANY new SL mount lenses!
Latest is that 'way more than 42 Megapixels' is only in Pixelshift mode. While it is of limited use, I found Panasonic's (Lumix G9) Pixelshift mode to be the most practical when compared to Sony and Olympus.

Panasonic's FF camera should have IBIS as well.

retow

Allegedly it will work with mft lenses as well. Imagine, a FF body usable with mft, Leica CL, SL, M, Sigma-SL Mount lenses. If true, I'll be in, with both feet, as I accumulated plenty of m-glass over the years, have some mft zooms in the closet and use mostly a Leica CL these days. This could be the "Swiss Army Knife" of cameras.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Allegedly it will work with mft lenses as well. Imagine, a FF body usable with mft, Leica CL, SL, M, Sigma-SL Mount lenses. If true, I'll be in, with both feet, as I accumulated plenty of m-glass over the years, have some mft zooms in the closet and use mostly a Leica CL these days. This could be the "Swiss Army Knife" of cameras.
Another option that I'm sure they will make adapters for is to use L-mount lenses on Panasonic m4/3 bodies. Then I could keep a GX8 and 100-300mm for long reach and as backup body and use an L-mount camera as my main body.

V

Vivek

Totally ditch Nikon in that process! :bugeyes:

Another option that I'm sure they will make
adapters for is to use L-mount lenses on Panasonic m4/3 bodies. Then I could keep a GX8 and 100-300mm for long reach and as backup body and use an L-mount camera as my main body.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another option that I'm sure they will make adapters for is to use L-mount lenses on Panasonic m4/3 bodies. Then I could keep a GX8 and 100-300mm for long reach and as backup body and use an L-mount camera as my main body.
I think the other way round - with that new Panasonic camera that will have around 50MP it will with m43 cameras still be around 16MP in m43 mode.

Plus it will enable me to use all my M glass I still have and never wanted to buy a digital M nor a Leica SL because of the exorbitant price. And I can finally make full use of some of my wonderful M primes like 1/50, 1.4/75, 2/75 and 2/90 for portraiture - so no need to buy any of the new and overpriced Leica SL primes :cool:

Also my WATE will find new life as a compact and superior wide angle zoom/prime.

Add to that one or two of the nice FF Pana-zooms and the kit is perfect.

Well, then it is time to really ditch Nikon, Canon, Sony or what else - hope that all comes true :thumbup:

Last edited:

iiiNelson

The remaining question for me is if both model will come in a G9-like body or if the lower end model will be more like a GX8. I hope for the latter, but I'm not too optimistic.
Unless the cameras incorporate a “modular mount” that can be swapped, I don’t really see how they can make it work with Micro 4/3 lenses being that there’s about 1mm difference in the flange distance between the L-mount (19mm) and Micro 4/3 (20mm).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unless the cameras incorporate a “modular mount” that can be swapped, I don’t really see how they can make it work with Micro 4/3 lenses being that there’s about 1mm difference in the flange distance between the L-mount (19mm) and Micro 4/3 (20mm).
You are probably right.

iiiNelson

You are probably right.
I may be but modular mounts aren’t all that uncommon in the pro video world and it may be a great thing that they support (on the OEM level) perhaps more than just L-Mount. This is especially true when it comes to video. That’s where Canon and Sony probably have the largest advantage for hybrid shooting because both EF and E-mount are the most common mounts after Arri PL Mount for pro video.

iiiNelson

Interesting article on that possible new Panasonic FF and the new L-mount used by Sigma, Panasonic and Leica.

http://macfilos.com/photo/2018/9/23/full-frame-frenzy-as-photokina-opens-its-doors

Unfortunately it looks like Olympus will not (yet) be part of the game.
Yeah I believe there’s little chance that Olympus will be invited to ”the club”. There were rumors a couple years back that Olympus may have been working on producing E-Mount lenses but I don’t think anything has materialized from that either. In any case this seems like a logical partnership and possibly can ignite some L-Mount development as Nikon and Canon are slated to match the total lens output of the Leica SL by the end of next year.

iiiNelson

Also it’s being now being reported/rumored that Panasonic will designate the FF line as “S” line cameras as opposed from the G line that the Micro 4/3 cameras follow.

k-hawinkler

Also it’s being now being reported/rumored that Panasonic will designate the FF line as “S” line cameras as opposed from the G line that the Micro 4/3 cameras follow.
Tre thanks. Does that imply to you 2 totally separate camera lines.
How about adapting m4/3 lenses to the FF S camera?

V

Vivek

I am going put down my 2 guilders to say that there will be no adapting of G to S.

Tre thanks. Does that imply to you 2 totally separate camera lines.
How about adapting m4/3 lenses to the FF S camera?
FWIW, many moons ago I tried the Pana 20/1.7 on a NEX-5N. Images were way too contrasty. Same issue will be there on a L camera.