The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Bart. I really need to see what actually materializes.
My A9 is looking better with each announcement/speculation. :clap:
And what you forgot is that I am sure SONY will release their A9 follow on model (however they will call it) soon. And if they only add mechanical and size changes to counter the Nikon and Canon releases that would be more than enough already. But I am sure they will also have some exciting electronic improvements up their sleeves.

Frankly

Gee first the DSLR and now m4/3s have been dealt deathblows in late 2018, they’ll all be relics in a few years.

k-hawinkler

And what you forgot is that I am sure SONY will release their A9 follow on model (however they will call it) soon. And if they only add mechanical and size changes to counter the Nikon and Canon releases that would be more than enough already. But I am sure they will also have some exciting electronic improvements up their sleeves.
Thanks Peter. I am counting on your predictive powers. :thumbs:

iiiNelson

I’m not so sure the A9 replacement will come too soon now. They can actually wait and continually improve whatever the replacement will end up being further to distance themselves even more from the competition’s first attempt. I think they can release the A7SIII before the end of the year to increase their own buzz again after all the announcements.

Then there are the possible A9S/R cameras that COULD be developed as well before an actually A9II is released as well so Sony looks like they have a bunch of released options (and feedback from people’s impressions of all the other cameras) to work with.

With all that being said, I think it’ll continue to be an uphill battle for Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, etc. because for whatever reason the CaNikon duopoly will continue to have a certain level of mindshare with certain demographics of photographers that have little to do with the capability of any of the alternative brand of cameras.

biglouis

You know what ? I feel like a rabbit caught in multiple headlights ... :shocked:

The choice is simply overwhelming; Leica FF (M10-P), Nikon FF (Z), Canon FF (EOS-R), Panasonic FF (?), Olympus FF (?), Fuji GFX (S or R), ... :banghead:

Oh well, good thing is I'll keep on saving this way ... :rolleyes:
If it helps, I absolutely love my Fuji GFX. It is the most Leica-like camera I have owned since I stop using Leica rangefinders. And the lenses are of equal quality. It works like a manual camera but with all the mirrorless features you could want. And the dynamic range of the sensor is awesome.

But I would not use it in the same way I use my Panasonic G9 kit, which is for wildlife and if I have an event to do, the 12-35 and 35-100 are a very capable combination.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Knorp

If it helps, I absolutely love my Fuji GFX. It is the most Leica-like camera I have owned since I stop using Leica rangefinders. And the lenses are of equal quality. It works like a manual camera but with all the mirrorless features you could want. And the dynamic range of the sensor is awesome.

But I would not use it in the same way I use my Panasonic G9 kit, which is for wildlife and if I have an event to do, the 12-35 and 35-100 are a very capable combination.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
Thank you, Louis. That moves the Fuji up on my wish list.
But first I have to see what that 50R is about ... :facesmack:

raist3d

Yes, that Zeiss will be interesting. I wonder if it's what an RX1 MKIII would be since Sony is apparently dropping the line.

So on Panasonic- if they got the global shutter sensor ready to go, they will be able to charge $3k USD and make some real competitive waves. They will be well above the others.

It's possible since they have been working and showing constant progress in the last years for that sensor. That would also mean their FF camera be available 2019

= Ricardo

iiiNelson

Yes, that Zeiss will be interesting. I wonder if it's what an RX1 MKIII would be since Sony is apparently dropping the line.

So on Panasonic- if they got the global shutter sensor ready to go, they will be able to charge $3k USD and make some real competitive waves. They will be well above the others.

It's possible since they have been working and showing constant progress in the last years for that sensor. That would also mean their FF camera be available 2019

= Ricardo
Yeah im expecting the global shutter to be their big wave making tech and maybe even 8k. If so then that might place Panasonic in another category in a tech race with Sony... since apparently CaNikon aren’t pursuing those avenues anytime soon... if ever.

Frankly

Kidding aside and in spite of having a fair Nikon kit, if Pany made a high Dr, high ISO capable FF mirrorless with the all important compact pancake lens they'd have something unique and appealing. Especially if they kept it under $2000 USd.

Give me a f/2.8 compact lens so I can actually stick the camera into a jacket pocket. So far neither of the Canon or Nikon lenses look very compact, making the cameras awkward packages.

Aim it as street photography, that's larger market than people think, even with a Nikon Df level sensor it could work.

Imagine a FF camera the size of a 90s 35mm compact, like a Contax TVS... now that would sell like mad and I could rationalize it even being a Canikony shooter.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Kidding aside and in spite of having a fair Nikon kit, if Pany made a high Dr, high ISO capable FF mirrorless with the all important compact pancake lens they'd have something unique and appealing. Especially if they kept it under $2000 USd.

Give me a f/2.8 compact lens so I can actually stick the camera into a jacket pocket. So far neither of the Canon or Nikon lenses look very compact, making the cameras awkward packages.

Aim it as street photography, that's larger market than people think, even with a Nikon Df level sensor it could work.

Imagine a FF camera the size of a 90s 35mm compact, like a Contax TVS... now that would sell like mad and I could rationalize it even being a Canikony shooter.
I’d put my money on Panasonic doing exactly none of those things initially.

I think they’re aiming for mid to high end video probably with their FF camera as that’s their most core strengths. We can easily argue that they do video as well if not better than Sony at this point despite the half sized sensor. I mean think about it - the GH line retails MSRP for $2-2500 and isn’t discounted very often despite being around for about 2 years or so. They really don’t have a capable direct competitor for underneath where they’re priced though occasionally you can get the A7SII for about $2500. For their FF, I expect it to be upmarket from the GH line but below the EVA and VariCam lines so it will probably sit in that $25-4500 range realistically IMO but I could be completely off.

Its just where id expect them to aim for with some killer video features that may make Sony go back to the drawing board should the A7SIII doesn’t significantly surpass what Panasonic was/is doing in the GH and next gen lines.

Now regarding size being similar to older SLR film cameras - I don’t know that we can have that with the AF motors in the newer cameras AND lenses built to resolve high megapixel sensors in an affordable package. Leica M lenses are exceptionally small due to not having AF. Most pancake lenses are a compromise on aperture speed, optical quality, or both... and that would be fine for a high sensitivity lower resolution sensor but now that 40+ megapixel cameras are becoming all the rage now more people want maximum performance from those lenses. Look at how Canon and Nikon has to update pretty much all of their most popular lenses to be able to adequately future proof those lenses for the newer cameras once the D800 and 5DS cameras were released (and/or developed). That’s the big benefit of these Mirrorless system lenses being developed with high megapixel sensors in mind.

rayyan

It is not in the Japanese business ethos to compete with other Japanese businesses with the intention of seeing one go bankrupt or be competitively demolished.

Hence what one shall see, as we witness today once again, no Japanese camera manufacturer will bring out a product that goes for the ‘ kill ‘.

And in the camera business, bar very few, Japan is a monopoly. And no one camera manufacturer will even try to control most of the market share.
An unwritten or talked about understanding!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I’d put my money on Panasonic doing exactly none of those things initially.

I think they’re aiming for mid to high end video probably with their FF camera as that’s their most core strengths. We can easily argue that they do video as well if not better than Sony at this point despite the half sized sensor. I mean think about it - the GH line retails MSRP for $2-2500 and isn’t discounted very often despite being around for about 2 years or so. They really don’t have a capable direct competitor for underneath where they’re priced though occasionally you can get the A7SII for about $2500. For their FF, I expect it to be upmarket from the GH line but below the EVA and VariCam lines so it will probably sit in that $25-4500 range realistically IMO but I could be completely off.

Its just where id expect them to aim for with some killer video features that may make Sony go back to the drawing board should the A7SIII doesn’t significantly surpass what Panasonic was/is doing in the GH and next gen lines.
I think you are pretty much spot on here. Panasonic will do what they do best; making a camera that is great for video and still very good for stills photography, and no, it won't be cheap but reasonably priced for what it is. Body size will probably be around the size of their current offerings, the GH5 and G9. There's no reason to change that much, even with a larger sensor, and many of the third party accessories will then fit the new camera too.

iiiNelson

I think you are pretty much spot on here. Panasonic will do what they do best; making a camera that is great for video and still very good for stills photography, and no, it won't be cheap but reasonably priced for what it is. Body size will probably be around the size of their current offerings, the GH5 and G9. There's no reason to change that much, even with a larger sensor, and many of the third party accessories will then fit the new camera too.
The ONLY caveat is that panasonic needs to seriously upgrade their AF on these cameras. They are nowhere near where Canon Dual Pixe or Sony AF are. I realize many videographers are gonna pull focus and don’t care but for vlogging which is a good portion of the GH5 users it’s not all that responsive. There’s the 179 degree shutter angle trick to improve the acquire speed but it shouldn’t need that to just work.