The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Strange, I never noticed mirror slap on my Ms!
That is because there is no mirror between the lens and the shutter curtain on any Leica rangefinder .... and there is one in the RF mechanism but while it allows
one to focus it does not contribute motion or shake. It only moves as one focuses the lens ... not when the shutter is released.

http://leicaphilia.com/how-a-rangefinder-works/

Which is why one can shoot at ridiculously slow shutter speeds ... 1/20 sec and still have sharp pictures.

And why one should never leave the lens cap off of a lens on the Leica RF ... as it will burn a hole in the shutter.

The term mirrorless refers to the lack of a mirror in front of the shutter and sensor ... guess someone should tell B&H they cannot list the Leica RFs under mirrorless any more. :banghead:

Bob

V

Vivek

With leaf and e shutters and liveview they (Leica RF) aren’t unique anymore.

Hole in the shutter only happens to old film Leica cameras and FED/Zorki that use cloth curtains. Many Canon and Nikon Rf cams used a Titanium shutter. digital Leicas use metal shutters as well.

Which is why one can shoot at ridiculously slow shutter speeds ... 1/20 sec and still have sharp pictures.

And why one should never leave the lens cap off of a lens on the Leica RF ... as it will burn a hole in the shutter.

iiiNelson

Of course, but I don't know what to think of it.
Anyway, a category FT5 is most of the time pretty serious ...

:watch:
I'm still trying to figure out how it’s gonna directly compete with the best from the top 3 camera makers for $3K being that their top of the line is $2500 in Micro 4/3. I’d believe it more if the price were in the $3500-4500 range. Also 8K is supposedly coming in a bigger way come 2020. I halfway expect them to include 8K video.

iiiNelson

Well I’m still hoping that it brings something different like 4:3 aspect ratio (in a slightly larger than FF 36x27mm or 40x30mm sensor), Panasonic finally implementing PDAF, and maybe a built in “anamorphic mode” with available lenses as well.

I mostly believed an organic sensor was a long shot anyway for the likely target price. I still believe that’s slated and is being designed for the next-gen VariCam first. I’m sure it’ll trickle to the ILC market in time but I still think we are 2-5 years away for them to be mass marketed.

SrMphoto

I think SL mount on Panasonic would be great news:

- a high-resolution sensor for those great SL lenses
- great and lightweight TL lenses for crop mode.
- new Panasonic lenses for SL/TL mount

Knorp

I think SL mount on Panasonic would be great news:

- a high-resolution sensor for those great SL lenses
- great and lightweight TL lenses for crop mode.
- new Panasonic lenses for SL/TL mount
Seems like a winner to me ...