The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

iiiNelson

So it will have the SL mount. Anything else would have surprised me. Both being niche suppliers Leica as well as Panasonic will gain from cooperating on this.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-panasonic-might-use-the-leica-sl-mount-and-not-uhs-ii/
Seems like Panasonic will possibly cannibalize some of potential Leica SL sales unless they drop the price down into the $3-4K range.

Sharing a mount does make some sense from a financial standpoint and perhaps Panasonic can pump out those lenses at a much faster and more affordable (to the average photographer) rate.

SrMphoto

Seems like Panasonic will possibly cannibalize some of potential Leica SL sales unless they drop the price down into the $3-4K range.

Sharing a mount does make some sense from a financial standpoint and perhaps Panasonic can pump out those lenses at a much faster and more affordable (to the average photographer) rate.
Many Leica SL owners use M-lenses. Question is how well would new Panasonic support them, or will that be a differentiator between the two bodies. Will the new Panasonic become the high resolution, EVF based Leica M? Since we know nothing, we can dream of everything :).

It sounds plausible that such a new Panasonic camera would steal potential customers from Leica. It is also plausible that it will bring much more customers to the SL/TL mount and thus increase sales of Leica lenses.

iiiNelson

Many Leica SL owners use M-lenses. Question is how well would new Panasonic support them, or will that be a differentiator between the two bodies. Will the new Panasonic become the high resolution, EVF based Leica M? Since we know nothing, we can dream of everything :).

It sounds plausible that such a new Panasonic camera would steal potential customers from Leica. It is also plausible that it will bring much more customers to the SL/TL mount and thus increase sales of Leica lenses.
Perhaps but I think most of the people that want an SL have them by now. It has been out for 3 years or so now. Perhaps some will buy Leica lenses but Panasonic lenses (assuming they’re to the quality of the Micro 4/3 versions) are great too at a more attainable price for people jumping into a new system.

I agree many Leica exclusive shooters are using the SL for their M lenses too though. I just don’t see thy being the primary desire for this body for most that don’t already own those lenses. I think most are thinking and hoping for a “GH camera” with a bigger sensor... but speculation wise - yes a digital Mlike Mirrorless camera would be “huge” for Panasonic... and something people have begged Leica for since the M8 days.

iiiNelson

Leica, Sigma AND Panasonic -not sure if this has been posted already, but very interesting and encouraging for this SL mount system (group) :thumbs:

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-a-new-...-together-on-the-full-frame-sl-mount-project/
Well this is interesting... if true. Would likely mean that Sigma could put out L-Mount versions of all their Art Series lenses relatively quickly which could likely compete somewhat favorably with the existing Leica SL lenses. Panasonic could focus on video centric/hybrid use lenses as well. I’m hoping for PDAF though still. DFD is great in good light but in lowlight it hunts more than I like.

k-hawinkler

I have not paid much attention to Leica SL cameras.
But owning many M and R lenses, I stopped counting, what adapters would I need to use them on the new Panasonic SL-Mount camera?

PeterA

I have not paid much attention to Leica SL cameras.
But owning many M and R lenses, I stopped counting, what adapters would I need to use them on the new Panasonic SL-Mount camera?
Adaptors I use are M>SL ( Leica) and Nikon > SL ( Novaflex)

SL + Noctilux is a marriage made in heaven.
SL + Otus55 or any Zeiss Milvus =same.
SL + any native zoom from Leica = best zooms money can buy
SL + any M lens from 35mm up = outstanding

Vierri posts many landscapes made on SL using Voigtlander wides - check out SL thread - of course PP required to adjust for distortion as non Leica lenses do not have in camera correction applied.

As for M wides I only use WATE occassionaly on SL - I prefer it on M10 for happy snaps. I use Zeiss Milvus 15/2.8 on SL with exceptional results. However my wide angle shooting is mostly on MF with Schneider/Hasselblad and now Fuji being tested so cant comment past above.

k-hawinkler

Adaptors I use are M>SL ( Leica) and Nikon > SL ( Novaflex)

SL + Noctilux is a marriage made in heaven.
SL + Otus55 or any Zeiss Milvus =same.
SL + any native zoom from Leica = best zooms money can buy
SL + any M lens from 35mm up = outstanding

Vierri posts many landscapes made on SL using Voigtlander wides - check out SL thread - of course PP required to adjust for distortion as non Leica lenses do not have in camera correction applied.

As for M wides I only use WATE occassionaly on SL - I prefer it on M10 for happy snaps. I use Zeiss Milvus 15/2.8 on SL with exceptional results. However my wide angle shooting is mostly on MF with Schneider/Hasselblad and now Fuji being tested so cant comment past above.

Many thanks.
I also have the WATE and it works well even on my Sony A7r.2.
My CV 15/4.5 in VM-Mount also shows no corner smearing on A7r.2.

SrMphoto

Thanks. How is the SL camera in this regard?
Leica SL and CL have been designed to work very well with M lenses, almost as good as M cameras.
Just because a camera has an L mount (SL/TL), does not mean it would be able to replicate that behavior.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
M-mount->L-mount adapter.
... and the mount is actually "L", not "SL". SL is the camera, and the mount is also used with the TL and CL cameras. However, if "the internet" has decided that it's "SL", even Leica may be "wrong" :ROTFL:

Whatever the name is, I find this a very interesting development and extremely positive. It will make the new Panasonic go from being a potential niche camera to being a real competitor in the market.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
... and the mount is actually "L", not "SL". SL is the camera, and the mount is also used with the TL and CL cameras. However, if "the internet" has decided that it's "SL", even Leica may be "wrong" :ROTFL:

Whatever the name is, I find this a very interesting development and extremely positive. It will make the new Panasonic go from being a potential niche camera to being a real competitor in the market.
Well, I think this is overall excellent news for the L (SL) mount as suddenly more and hopefully cheaper than native Leica SL lenses become available for cameras with that mont, making that mount kind of a standard like for example m43, but now for FF. Would definitely attract more third party vendors to offer products.

PeterA

Many thanks.
I also have the WATE and it works well even on my Sony A7r.2.
My CV 15/4.5 in VM-Mount also shows no corner smearing on A7r.2.
I bought an a7R11 before the SL came out in order to use it as a 'lens horse' - my experience was that my 28 Summicron had visibly poor performance at edges with A7r11 and I am by no means a pixel peeping type...the SL performs much better with M lenses than the Sony did - however I am not interested in buying into the price of SL prime lenses V other makers good glass - as I see no benefit for me going down this direction given advancements being made by so many companies so quickly.

I hope Sigma has access to L mount and rumours are true - as I would appreciate being to be able to use Sigma primes with autofocus etc on the SL body and SL Zooms on a Panasonic body with higher megapixel chip than the SL.

k-hawinkler

I bought an a7R11 before the SL came out in order to use it as a 'lens horse' - my experience was that my 28 Summicron had visibly poor performance at edges with A7r11 and I am by no means a pixel peeping type...the SL performs much better with M lenses than the Sony did - however I am not interested in buying into the price of SL prime lenses V other makers good glass - as I see no benefit for me going down this direction given advancements being made by so many companies so quickly.

I hope Sigma has access to L mount and rumours are true - as I would appreciate being to be able to use Sigma primes with autofocus etc on the SL body and SL Zooms on a Panasonic body with higher megapixel chip than the SL.
Yup, I have number of 21, 28, 35, and 50mm Leica M lenses that all perform poorly on Sony FE cameras, including when stopped down. However, all my R lenses perform just fine.

It will be interesting what Panasonic will debut next week. :grin: