The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

PeterA

Yup, I have number of 21, 28, 35, and 50mm Leica M lenses that all perform poorly on Sony FE cameras, including when stopped down. However, all my R lenses perform just fine.

It will be interesting what Panasonic will debut next week. :grin:
Yes the R lenses do perform very well and the SL was the 'promised' solution to the missing R body that so many ( like me ) were craving!!

However for normal shooting purposes I now prefer the benefits of autofocus - leaving manual focus to more technical shooting requirements where autofocus is irrelevant if not a hindrance...sadly I sold out of a massive collection of quite exotic R lenses - years before the SL arrived...happil for me my m lenses perform beautifully on the SL - the Noctilux in particular performs much better on the SL than the M - purely because I can focus it wide open with confidence and don't have to use neutral density filters in daylight! ( the EVF on the M certainly helps but the SL EVF is just the best in class by a long way)

atb
Pete

iiiNelson

I bought an a7R11 before the SL came out in order to use it as a 'lens horse' - my experience was that my 28 Summicron had visibly poor performance at edges with A7r11 and I am by no means a pixel peeping type...the SL performs much better with M lenses than the Sony did - however I am not interested in buying into the price of SL prime lenses V other makers good glass - as I see no benefit for me going down this direction given advancements being made by so many companies so quickly.

I hope Sigma has access to L mount and rumours are true - as I would appreciate being to be able to use Sigma primes with autofocus etc on the SL body and SL Zooms on a Panasonic body with higher megapixel chip than the SL.
My results were somewhat similar with using M-mount on Sony cameras but I didn’t find it to be focal length dependent. I had a mix of Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses. The only Leica lens that worked great for me (that I owned) was the 90/2 Pre-AA. The Zeiss 50/2 Planar worked great as did the Voigtlander 21/1.8 Ultron and 35/1.2 Nokton II... the only thing I could figure out was that the Aony didn’t always play well with Leica ASPH lenses like the 50 Lux, 24 Elmar, or 35 Cron... well IMO anyway. The only M-mount lens I hadn’t sold is the 35/1.2 Nokton but the rest I sold a long time ago.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, I think this is overall excellent news for the L (SL) mount as suddenly more and hopefully cheaper than native Leica SL lenses become available for cameras with that mont, making that mount kind of a standard like for example m43, but now for FF. Would definitely attract more third party vendors to offer products.
If Sigma is really changing to this mount, that would opn the possibility for a Panasonic and a Sigma with Foveon sensor using the same mount. That would be absolutely fantastic :thumbup:

PeterA

My results were somewhat similar with using M-mount on Sony cameras but I didn’t find it to be focal length dependent. I had a mix of Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses. The only Leica lens that worked great for me (that I owned) was the 90/2 Pre-AA. The Zeiss 50/2 Planar worked great as did the Voigtlander 21/1.8 Ultron and 35/1.2 Nokton II... the only thing I could figure out was that the Aony didn’t always play well with Leica ASPH lenses like the 50 Lux, 24 Elmar, or 35 Cron... well IMO anyway. The only M-mount lens I hadn’t sold is the 35/1.2 Nokton but the rest I sold a long time ago.
I've acquired a huge collection of M glass over the years and derived a lot of pleasure using them on M cameras and the SL. I pretty much shoot at or around wide open in Leica glass as that is where they have been designed to perform optimally - no other company in M mount can deliver the wide open performance of Nocti or a lux for the size and amenity that the size provides. However that said, we now have a huge assortment of excellent glass to choose from in other 'small footprint', light powerful and smart high quality alternatives to the Leica M.

These days for me happy snaps are made easier using a Fuji with plenty of IQ for typical relative small prints ( or larger) as required and for large prints using an XID - which is likely to be switched out of into Fuji. I like the Fuji ecosystem and lenses in X and GFX - very high IQ for price in both formats. If it was going to be just one format - no doubt Sony blitzes everyone else - but I get a lot of utility out of 50 megapixels in the larger chip that Sony makes for blad/Fuji etc...

long story short I can see myself totally out of Leica after 30 years a fan boy - because tech improvements and utility provided for by companies like Fuji at their price points offer compelling reasons. The announcement of the Fuji 200/2 is very exciting an XT-3 + that lens is very tempting - same as the 23mm on a GFX for wide which I am currently testing. I no longer own any mirrored cameras - as I don't count the M10 as a mirrored camera. Huge changes for a traditionalist like me over the last few years.!

iiiNelson

I've acquired a huge collection of M glass over the years and derived a lot of pleasure using them on M cameras and the SL. I pretty much shoot at or around wide open in Leica glass as that is where they have been designed to perform optimally - no other company in M mount can deliver the wide open performance of Nocti or a lux for the size and amenity that the size provides. However that said, we now have a huge assortment of excellent glass to choose from in other 'small footprint', light powerful and smart high quality alternatives to the Leica M.

These days for me happy snaps are made easier using a Fuji with plenty of IQ for typical relative small prints ( or larger) as required and for large prints using an XID - which is likely to be switched out of into Fuji. I like the Fuji ecosystem and lenses in X and GFX - very high IQ for price in both formats. If it was going to be just one format - no doubt Sony blitzes everyone else - but I get a lot of utility out of 50 megapixels in the larger chip that Sony makes for blad/Fuji etc...

long story short I can see myself totally out of Leica after 30 years a fan boy - because tech improvements and utility provided for by companies like Fuji at their price points offer compelling reasons. The announcement of the Fuji 200/2 is very exciting an XT-3 + that lens is very tempting - same as the 23mm on a GFX for wide which I am currently testing. I no longer own any mirrored cameras - as I don't count the M10 as a mirrored camera. Huge changes for a traditionalist like me over the last few years.!
Mid money were no object I’d probably still own a M10 for the times I got a Rangefinder itch but outside of that I’m not a huge fan of their other bodies personally. To each their own though and I understand why some like their products being the former owner. That being said I got the CV and Zeiss lenses to fill in gaps or in some cases I preferred them to the Leica equivalent.

Knorp

Pfff! All this because of a rumour ...

43rumors changed the name of the group "Panasonic Full Frame" to "Panasonic-Leica-Sigma SL Full Frame system".
43rumors changed the name of the group "Panasonic-Leica-Sigma SL Full Frame system" to "Panasonic-Leica-Sigma L-mount Full Frame system".
:facesmack: :banghead: :chug:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

iiiNelson

Sounds interesting at least ....

All these new systems (Nikon Z, Canon R and now Panasonic L) make me wonder if it is wise to buy into either of those in the next 1 or 2 years. So much will and can change and in the end I want to make the best decision for myself WRT camera and lenses I need.

So I need to wait :cool:
If I were to ever switch mirrorless systems to something else and start off fresh with something other than Sony the only legitimate choice today would be Fuji or Micro 4/3 IMO. If the goal was to go with something Full frame that’s not a Sony then I’d just wait 2-3 years and shoot with what you have of currently existing systems didn’t fit the bill.

Obvuously this goes out the way if you’re already heavily invested in CaNikon or Leica systems without a desire to be free of them completely.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I were to ever switch mirrorless systems to something else and start off fresh with something other than Sony the only legitimate choice today would be Fuji or Micro 4/3 IMO. If the goal was to go with something Full frame that’s not a Sony then I’d just wait 2-3 years and shoot with what you have of currently existing systems didn’t fit the bill.

Obvuously this goes out the way if you’re already heavily invested in CaNikon or Leica systems without a desire to be free of them completely.
As I am currently not invested in any FF mirrorless system and am pretty happy with what I get from m43, I have enough time to wait and see
how all these new systems will pan out.

Having said that - the Panasonic with L-mount seems good, but I do not want to tumble into the high price Leica trap again - so need to see how alternative l-mount cameras and lenses will be priced.

In the end if Olympus would join that bandwagon I would feel most comfortable for lenses as well as cameras :cool:

As I am currently not invested in any FF mirrorless system and am pretty happy with what I get from m43, I have enough time to wait and see
how all these new systems will pan out.

Having said that - the Panasonic with L-mount seems good, but I do not want to tumble into the high price Leica trap again - so need to see how alternative l-mount cameras and lenses will be priced.

In the end if Olympus would join that bandwagon I would feel most comfortable for lenses as well as cameras :cool:
What is the attraction of a Panasonic camera with Sigma lenses. You can get Sigma lenses for current Canon and Nikon bodies, and Sigma lenses for their mirrorless offerings are sure to come. I doubt too many photographers are going to be putting the $5000+ Leica SL lenses on a Panasonic body.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

What is the attraction of a Panasonic camera with Sigma lenses. You can get Sigma lenses for Canon and Nikon already. I doubt too many photographers are going to be putting the $5000+ Leica lenses on a Panasonic body.
People have been adapting expensive Leica lenses to Panasonic bodies for nearly 10 years... but the presumption is that a person can choose between Panasonic, Leica, and/or Sigma native AF lenses is what’s absent from the other Mirrorless systems... if that’s important to the shooter. That’s not to say Canon, Nikon, or Sony is worse but some people really like Panasonic cameras too and may want access to Leica optics options with Panasonic tech advancements is a real thing for some even if not for all.

V

Vivek

If Panasonic offers a swivel LCD then that makes it only the second FF mirrorless camera beisdes the Canon EOS R.

Quite versatile, even for Leica users! :bugeyes:

What is the attraction of a Panasonic camera with Sigma lenses. You can get Sigma lenses for current Canon and Nikon bodies, and lenses for their mirrorless offerings are sure to come. I doubt too many photographers are going to be putting the $5000+ Leica lenses on a Panasonic body.

k-hawinkler

Becoming more and more interesting. 50MP paired with some great PanaLeica glass - seems like photography heaven :clap:

Also IBIS in both cameras is great!

Who will buy Canon ??????
Now if the cameras can also focus without hunting .. we may have winners.
I say, the more real competition, the merrier! :clap:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now if the cameras can also focus without hunting .. we may have winners.
I say, the more real competition, the merrier! :clap:
Given the way Panasonic is rumoured to build their new AF system (based on AI) I am confident it will work flawlessly.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Getting even better - lot of L-mount lenses ...

• Panasonic will announce a new Full Frame Mirrorless system camera on September 25
  • Panasonic FF mirrorless camera will have similar design as Panasonic G9 w/ Leica SL-mount.
  • Panasonic-Leica-Sigma will announce a new partnership around the SL mount FF system
  • Leica and other companies will announce a new website called “L-mount.com” soon
  • Panasonic will only show a prototype with non finalized specs
  • The new camera will go on market by March 2019
  • Panasonic has designed this new sensor
  • The camera will have way more than 42 Megapixels
  • The camera has excellent video quality
  • There will be MANY new SL mount lenses!