The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am going put down my 2 guilders to say that there will be no adapting of G to S.
While it would be nice to be able to adapt m43 glass to the L-mount, it does not make sense too much because of the 1/2 time crop. Maybe it is better to run that 2 systems separate!

For me as for many others who own and like M lenses a FF L-mount solution makes lot of sense as a "cheap" alternative to any Leica native camera taking M-mount lenses. If Panasonic manages (or better is allowed) to do in body correction for Leica M lenses and all that for a decent price (in Leica terms) around €4000.- that camera should be a winner.

I am very much intrigued by the idea of such a camera system allowing me to use M lenses as well as modern AF PanaLeica lenses on the same camera. And then adding IBIS as well as all the to be expected video features from Panasonic would just make for a killer solution IMHO. Should also be possible to add Leica Cine lenses to that as it is with the Leica SL already.

Cannot wait for tomorrow :cool::D

iiiNelson

Tre thanks. Does that imply to you 2 totally separate camera lines.
How about adapting m4/3 lenses to the FF S camera?
I agree with Vivek.

Short of there being a modular lens mount (which isn’t uncommon in the video world) I don’t see how they’ll make an adapter that’s only 1mm thick for Micro 4/3 lenses but I expect they’ll continue to fully support the Micro 4/3 cameras... at least the better G and GH lines but I think going forward all camera makers are going to heavily scale back the amount of models available and in the future focusing on the pro and prosumer market. Cellphones are likely cutting far too much into the entry level market which I believe will become served by outgoing replaces models similar to have Sony is still putting the A6000 out there for sale 4-5 years after release as the budget model.

All that said I have little to no inside knowledge on what every company is doing. Just my own opinion based on private conversation and watching the markets.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Oh yeah, it will be revealed soon enough! :)
I’m hoping whatever they announce is a true direct competitor to what Sony is doing as of now I don’t feel CaNikon are “there” yet despite what some believe.

It will also also be interesting to see if Sigma produces some f/2 Art series lenses as a smaller and cheaper alternative to Leica L-Mount lenses. I also hope this partnership is more of a true partnership with open lens protocol so that lenses perform the exact same no matter the lens or body. That was one of my hang-ups with the Micro 4/3 cameras where Panasonic bodies didn’t perform as well with Olympus lenses and Vice versa. This was a shame cuz there were a few Olympus lenses I was interested in that didn’t perform as well on Panasonic bodies - and I wasn’t a huge fan of the Olympus bodies overall (personal preference of preferring the Panasonic color/output). If this happens that will really pique my interest in the development of this camera otherwise... I’ll have to wait longer and see.

iiiNelson

As expected (through rumors) the high end model will have 48 megapixels and the mass market version will have 24 megapixels.

Really leads me back to some of the early inside talk/ rumors regarding the SL being largely designed in cooperation with Panasonic after the backlash towards the M240. The next M has been rumored to sport a 48 megapixel sensor as well and this makes me wonder if the mass market body will be an updated/modified version of the sensor used in the Q, SL, and M. Whatever the case I really hope they incorporate PDAF into the cameras to go along with the CDAF/DFD.

https://www.l-rumors.com/l4-entry-l...-high-end-panasonic-s-camera-has-48mp-sensor/

I’m fully expecting this camera to have 8k video with at least 24/25/30p options in the high end version and 4k in themass market version.

k-hawinkler

As expected (through rumors) the high end model will have 48 megapixels and the mass market version will have 24 megapixels.

Really leads me back to some of the early inside talk/ rumors regarding the SL being largely designed in cooperation with Panasonic after the backlash towards the M240. The next M has been rumored to sport a 48 megapixel sensor as well and this makes me wonder if the mass market body will be an updated/modified version of the sensor used in the Q, SL, and M. Whatever the case I really hope they incorporate PDAF into the cameras to go along with the CDAF/DFD.

https://www.l-rumors.com/l4-entry-l...-high-end-panasonic-s-camera-has-48mp-sensor/

I’m fully expecting this camera to have 8k video with at least 24/25/30p options in the high end version and 4k in themass market version.
Thanks Tre. Does this all relate to SL and L?
If so what about G cameras?

Knorp

Some of the rumours predicted us it will not have 8k.
Frankly, 8k for a first FF camera seems a bit over the top.
But hey - then I'm not interested at all in whatever video capability it may sport.

When did one Panasonic FF camera become two? I haven't seen this on the rumor sites so I don't know where it is coming from. Perhaps I just am not paying as close attention as I should be. Is this just the whisper game?

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. Does this all relate to SL and L?
If so what about G cameras?
No idea about the G cameras. Personally, I’d expect them to continue to be catered to the entry level (short term), prosumer, and the hybrid/indie filmmakers/pro video markets (long term).

I’d expect the entry level FF to also cater to the prosumer/hybrid shooter/pro photographer and videographer clientele and the high-end model to be the bridge camera between the GH and EVA/VariCam line with prices rumored to be in the $3-4k range. There’s a wide price gap between the $1500-2000 and the $7500+ range for the high end Panasonic cameras. I’d also be interested to see if Panasonic revamps the EVA1 camera with an L-mount and a PL version in time.

Again just my guess and I could have it wrong but I remember seeing an interview with a high level Panasonic product manager last year when the EVA1 was rumored/unveiled around NAB 2017 and Cinegear 2017 and they acknowledged the unexpected level of success with the GH lines with pro video since the GH4 line was released and many pro guys were asking for a bridge in-between the GH and the VariCam... which is what brought about the EVA1. During that interview the product manager mentioned that there was room between the GH and the EVA1 for those that may not be full on video guys but maybe want a higher end camera than the GH5... I (and many others) likely assumed that this was where the GH5s/GH6 would come into play but clearly they were thinking larger sensors for better quality video.

iiiNelson

When did one Panasonic FF camera become two? I haven't seen this on the rumor sites so I don't know where it is coming from. Perhaps I just am not paying as close attention as I should be.
I think it was rumored to be multiple models for some time now.

iiiNelson

Some of the rumours predicted us it will not have 8k.
Frankly, 8k for a first FF camera seems a bit over the top.
But hey - then I'm not interested at all in whatever video capability it may sport.
I largely agree that it’s over the top but people thought that with the GH4 as well AND the Olympics in 2020 are expected to be broadcasted in 8k and 16k as well so someone is likely working on those solutions and TV’s. Natural order of things to trickle down to pro and consumer devices in time... and 8k video in cinema cameras has been around a couple years now outputting in the 75fps range for RED cameras... Just a wishlist/guess on capability being that the camera likely won’t see release for another 6 months of refinement at least.

I’m sure Panasonic would want to pressure the A7S shooters to look at their cameras and 4k60 is so 2015-16 for Panasonic... maybe they’ll do 4K120 if they decide to stay in the 4k range.

Knorp

Just a thought; does the Leica SL have PDAF ? If I am correct the specs don't say so ...
Because for this rumoured new consortium it seems essential to me to develop interchangeable gear, no ?
OTOH the SL is due for an update too, me thinks ... :rolleyes:

V

Vivek

CDAF (Panasonic version).

No PDAF.

Just a thought; does the Leica SL have PDAF ? If I am correct the specs don't say so ...
Because for this rumoured new consortium it seems essential to me to develop interchangeable gear, no ?
OTOH the SL is due for an update too, me thinks ... :rolleyes: