The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

iiiNelson

Oh and my favorite potential feature of the S Cameras is the possibility that the 70-200 may end up NOT being white... I hate when lenses are white.

biglouis

I'm really pleased for Panasonic. They deserve to be successful with these FF cameras. They are in my opinion a camera company which actually listens to their users. Fuji are the same and I think their 50R is a fantastic value proposition for people who want to get into larger the 35mm FF photography.

I'm not in the market for either of these Panasonic's while I own my Fuji system but if I ever 'downsize' it is good to know there may be a Panasonic alternative.

For the moment, though, for wildlife shooting I am still in the m34rds world - as the crop factor is a major advantage. And Panasonic have announced new firmware which may address the hunting against backgrounds issue for C-AF when tracking birds against foliage. I'm hoping this will address a weakness in the Panasonic system for tracking birds in flight.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am highly pleased with the Panasonic announcement of their FF L-system. And I have high expectations in what is coming from that new L-mount alliance.

No longer need to go back to Nikon and any of their Z - just buy a S1R and utilise all the most modern AF lenses as well as old M glass.

Exciting times!

Last edited:

SrMphoto

I am highly pleased with the Panasonic announcement of their FF L-system. And I have high expectations in what is coming from that new L-mount alliance.

No longer need to go back to Nikon and any of their Z - just buy a SR1 and utilise all the most modern AF lenses as well as old M glass.

Exciting times!
You can use old (and new) M glass with any mirrorless camera. The question is will Panasonic's sensor support them properly (e.g., corners) as they are supported in Leica SL. BTW, Novoflex has announced adapters for for Z cameras and 12 different lens mounts.

I am interested in the new L-mount cameras, especially to use a higher resolution body with Leica's L zooms. However, I worry that the mirrorless FF market is getting oversaturated.

Very interesting times.

iiiNelson

This is indeed exciting news. I hope that this new Foveon sensor is not only FF, but also faster than the old APSC variants.
Me too and perhaps they can work on file compression techniques/camera operating speed to make their cameras more attractive to more photographers. No one ever really complains about their IQ... just the usability factors like speed, being stuck with OEM RAW processing, and the file size in comparison to competing cameras.

k-hawinkler

In order to be an SL compatable camera doesn’t need the sensor cover glass have to be of the same thickness in terms of optical properties?

V

Vivek

Yes, I mentioned this earlier. The m43 has ~5mm thicglass over its sensor.

In order to be an SL compatable camera doesn’t need the sensor cover glass have to be of the same thickness in terms of optical properties?
This is good news for adapting old lenses, not just Leica LTM/M lenses.

Personally, I want to put my Jupiter-3, 5cm f/1.5 lens (which does superbly on a mono A7rII with a thin sensor cover) and Canon 50/0.95 (also superb) lenses to use.

Then there is the superb ZM 35/1.4.. :)

SrMphoto

No, I don't think so. I believe the thickness is an issue for M-lenses only. We don't know if Panasonic cares about M lenses and as Jono wrote on LUF about this, there are plenty of advantages of thicker sensor glass.

V

Vivek

How can they claim to be compatible across the board if the sensor toppings are different?

Might as well put a Sony FE mount!

Jono is an expert on sensor cover glass as we know well from M9, MM, etc. :p
No, I don't think so. I believe the thickness is an issue for M-lenses only. We don't know if Panasonic cares about M lenses and as Jono wrote on LUF about this, there are plenty of advantages of thicker sensor glass.

SrMphoto

How can they claim to be compatible across the board if the sensor toppings are different?

Might as well put a Sony FE mount!

Jono is an expert on sensor cover glass as we know well from M9, MM, etc. :p
Panasonic and Sigma are committing to L-mount, not to M-mount. M lenses are using M-to-L adapters, similar to M-to-FE adapters. SL sensor has been specialized to work well for M lenses as well, but that is not part of the L mount spec. Of course, Panasonic and Sigma are free to increase the cost of their sensor by making it work with M lenses as well. That would be nice, but why would they do that?

k-hawinkler

Of course, M and SL cameras are different.
IIRC Leica increased cover glass thickness on the SL relative to the M.
That’s fine. But shouldn’t (S)L cameras be interchangeable no matter who makes them?

V

Vivek

I think if you are a true believer anything is possible. :rolleyes:

Commitment, devotion, etc (even if they shaft you with thousands of euros). :ROTFL:

You pay a premium for that magic dust, literally! :ROTFL:

That’s fine. But shouldn’t (S)L cameras be interchangeable no matter who makes them?

SrMphoto

Just saw a picture of the Panasonic S1R mockup. Hate the location of the on/off switch :-(. Good luck using it with gloves on. Why did they not copy G9 layout?

SrMphoto

I understand that L mount compatibility concerns only SL and TL/CL lenses, not M lenses. M-lenses need an adapter for L-mount, similar to other mounts. I would think that only Leica is motivated and can afford to add special modifications to the sensor so that it can handle M lenses at its best.

Compatible is different than optimized. The Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras will share a lens mount. They will not be identical in features and performance to one another.

V

Vivek

As long as they do not share the exfoliation feature, Sigma and Panasonic will be fine. :thumbup:

I can truly understand the hope and aspirations of those who spend thousands more on a lower specd camera to be “special”.