The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

iiiNelson

Panasonic and Sigma are committing to L-mount, not to M-mount. M lenses are using M-to-L adapters, similar to M-to-FE adapters. SL sensor has been specialized to work well for M lenses as well, but that is not part of the L mount spec. Of course, Panasonic and Sigma are free to increase the cost of their sensor by making it work with M lenses as well. That would be nice, but why would they do that?
Why would it cost extra if the camera and lenses are all being designed to work a certain way from the ground up? I’m not saying they will or will not have M-mount compatibility in mind at the forefront but it COULD be a nice bonus for those that may want to mix and match brands.

iiiNelson

I would be interested if it is a Merrill sensor, but not if it is just a Quattro with an L mount.
I think we will all just have to wait and see but it makes me wonder if they will cease all SA-Mount lens production immediately and begin immediate launch of the Art series lenses in L-mount. That would be interesting to see that whole catalog of existing lenses being released at a less expensive alternative to the Summilux/Summicron lenses.

Why would it cost extra if the camera and lenses are all being designed to work a certain way from the ground up? I’m not saying they will or will not have M-mount compatibility in mind at the forefront but it COULD be a nice bonus for those that may want to mix and match brands.
It is axiomatic that there will be brand differentiation among the cameras. The Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras will be compatible not identical. Why would Leica give up its patented sensor micro lens design and M lens profiles? They are likely to be the only things other than name that would make an SL2 a compelling purchase.

iiiNelson

It is axiomatic that there will be brand differentiation among the cameras. The Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras will be compatible not identical. Why would Leica give up its patented sensor micro lens design and M lens profiles? They are likely to be the only things other than name that would make an SL2 a compelling purchase.
MAYBE... and again I’m not saying they will do that. Just saying it’s possible that the camera would work well for M lenses - maybe even unintentionally. Stranger things have happened.

All that being said I wouldn’t buy either JUST for M lens use if I didn’t already own the lenses. Leica even admits that the L lenses are superior in most ways to the M lenses.

V

Vivek

It is now known that with a thin coverglass even A7rII does well with M glass.

Heck, even the monochrome converted A7rII without ANY micro lenses because of a thin cover glass does quite well.

SrMphoto

It is now known that with a thin coverglass even A7rII does well with M glass.

Heck, even the monochrome converted A7rII without ANY micro lenses because of a thin cover glass does quite well.
Even with thin sensor coverglass, there remains a necessary lens correction step. Leicas have built-in profiles to correct for color cast and vignetting when using M lenses. Yes, lens correction can be applied manually as well.

V

Vivek

For many, this is a non issue.

Given IBIS and many other benefits, the differences are enormous.

Even with thin sensor coverglass, there remains a necessary lens correction step. Leicas have built-in profiles to correct for color cast and vignetting when using M lenses. Yes, lens correction can be applied manually as well.

iiiNelson

Can’t a person just create LCC’s in software and be done with it all in a few steps?

iiiNelson

I wonder what they're going to do with their Quattros.
Some say the SA-mount is dead now ...
Apparently Sigma is the one saying SA-Mount is dead. They’re releasing SA->L and SA->EF adapters in 2019 along with mount conversion services.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sa...and-hello-to-the-new-sigma-foveon-full-frame/

Of note notice they will develop some exclusive L-Mount lenses so perhaps we will see their support of Canon, Nikon, and Sony slow down UNLESS these cameras do poorly commercially.

Also so I really like the shape of the Lumix S bodies. They look really comfortable from the pictures... Sadly though, I thought that of the EOS R too until last week.

Knorp

Apparently Sigma is the one saying SA-Mount is dead. They’re releasing SA->L and SA->EF adapters in 2019 along with mount conversion services.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sa...and-hello-to-the-new-sigma-foveon-full-frame/

Of note notice they will develop some exclusive L-Mount lenses so perhaps we will see their support of Canon, Nikon, and Sony slow down UNLESS these cameras do poorly commercially.

Also so I really like the shape of the Lumix S bodies. They look really comfortable from the pictures... Sadly though, I thought that of the EOS R too until last week.
Well, if the S bodies are similar to the G9 body they'll be good. Certainly better than the Sony A7/A9 bodies (w/o grip).

k-hawinkler

Well, if the S bodies are similar to the G9 body they'll be good. Certainly better than the Sony A7/A9 bodies (w/o grip).
With grip the Sonys are terrific!
BTW, the new grip on the A9 feels extremely stable, best ever. :thumbs:
Peak design clutch an essential element on my Cameras, whether Sony or Olympus.

iiiNelson

I don't know, I never use M lenses on non-Leica bodies and therefore have not investigated it.
Sorry... that was rhetorical.

I’ve used M lense on both Leica bodies and non-Leica ones. Some work great... some don’t. In many cases many of the modern lenses are technically better and one could use the R lenses (which are often superior to M lenses as well) without concern for extreme ray angles if one wants the “Leica look” on competing camera systems. I guess the point is if a person is set on using M lenses it’s best to buy an M camera. If a person is concerned with the “Leica look” then maybe procure a few choice R lenses. Yet my opinion though... I found the Contax Yashira lenses to be pretty comparable to the Leica R lenses as well for a lot less money but with more saturated colors (which can be toned down in PP) that Zeiss is known for.

iiiNelson

With grip the Sonys are terrific!
BTW, the new grip on the A9 feels extremely stable, best ever. :thumbs:
Peak design clutch an essential element on my Cameras, whether Sony or Olympus.
There are times I wish I didn’t need the grip but want the IQ like on vacation... as it stands now though there aren’t many lenses that I own that balance perfectly well without the grip. Not an issue most of the time and I really only notice when the grip isn’t attached. This camera looks to be comparable in size to the Fuji XH1 which IMO is perfect.

That’s really the only real complaint not easily correctable without a new body that I have with my Sony. The performance and IQ are outstanding.

k-hawinkler

There are times I wish I didn’t need the grip but want the IQ like on vacation... as it stands now though there aren’t many lenses that I own that balance perfectly well without the grip. Not an issue most of the time and I really only notice when the grip isn’t attached. This camera looks to be comparable in size to the Fuji XH1 which IMO is perfect.

That’s really the only real complaint not easily correctable without a new body that I have with my Sony. The performance and IQ are outstanding.
My grips never come off - never for the Sonys.
Both batteries are replaced easily.

It’s a little different with the Olympus cameras as one battery is still in the body.
So to replace that battery one has to remove the grip first temporarily.
But when in use, the grip is always on.