The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

V

Vivek

Looks like the big chunky camera you were asking for, Tre!

Another lens would not have made any difference. The SR is clearly bigger.

iiiNelson

Looks like the big chunky camera you were asking for, Tre!

Another lens would not have made any difference. The SR is clearly bigger.
Yeah i only wanted it for a more fair comparison of size though obviously the Panasonic would be bigger no matter what.

It does look a little more substantial and it MAY be the “perfect size” but obviously I’ll have to wait to get it in my hands. I thought the EOS R would feel great... it didn’t. Not at all. Chunky is relative though. I’m not saying it needs to be 1Dx sized but somewhere about halfway between the A7 and 5D (so XH1) would be fine with me - even if that style ONLY comes to the A9 line. I have a feeling that once the improved sealing comes (if it comes) the bodies will get larger though in real work use I shot the Sony at Niagara Falls almost a month ago now and it’s still working so the current sealing does work to some effect.

iiiNelson

So apparently Sigma plans to release all existing (14 in total) Sigma Art lenses in L-mount before the end of 2019. If this actually happens there will be about 30-35 native L-Mount lenses between Panasonic, Leica, and Sigma. Would not be a bad start at all

PeterA

So apparently Sigma plans to release all existing (14 in total) Sigma Art lenses in L-mount before the end of 2019. If this actually happens there will be about 30-35 native L-Mount lenses between Panasonic, Leica, and Sigma. Would not be a bad start at all
I hope they do - because quite frankly Leica aint gunna ever get me to pay $5000US+ for a single lens again - that figure is reserved for serious exotic glass like Fuji's 200/2 -:) :bugeyes:

jonoslack

As long as they do not share the exfoliation feature, Sigma and Panasonic will be fine. :thumbup:

I can truly understand the hope and aspirations of those who spend thousands more on a lower specd camera to be “special”.
Hi Vivek
I was reading about exfoliation feature on the early Kolari mods recently, and I was pleased to understand that, Like Leica they were fixing it.

retow

Now that horseless carriages, pardon, mirrorless cameras have come of age it might be time for manufacturers and "experts" to change product descriptions and get rid of the "mirrorless" nonsense.

iiiNelson

I know it’s Panasonic’s nature to announce a product and then trickle out information (which works very well for the video market) but I’m hoping these cameras wind up shipping sooner rather than later. Christmas is coming up and the internet can be a fickle place especially with a lot of hype and buzz surrounding a camera. It’s important to have products ready to launch shortly after announcement though 6 months or so isn’t too longer if/when you knock it out the park.

I look to the way the Hasselblad X1D was launched (multiple delays, price hike prior to pre-orders were all delivered, underplanned production from overwhelming interest, buggy software) compared to the Fuji GFX (shipped about 2-4 weeks earlier than people expected, clear roadmaps, responsive support to prospective customers/dealers, addressing software shortcomings in time,etc.). Hasselblad is still fighting the early perceptions of quality issues and delays encountered early in the launch. Fuji is basking in MF glory with “more attainable” pricing, perceived high quality, and bringing speed to MF that otherwise wasn’t really imagined until more recently with the Leica S/Pentax 645 series.

In short I believe the L-Mount alliance to be a great thing and one I didn’t expect to be so interested in. If they hit all their performance metrics for lens releases they could have about a system nearly comparable to what Sony has in about a year or so. CaNikon are projecting those lens numbers to be 2-3 years out and obviously Sony hasn’t talked about their next “big guns” yet. The next few years will be interesting no doubt.

V

Vivek

Kolari mods involve an additional thin filter over the sealed cover glass. Easily replaceable and costs orders of magnitude less in money. If one so desires, it is even possible to restore the original Sony configuration.

Huge difference between that and the expensive, glued exfoliating cover glass of the Leica sensors.

Hi Vivek
I was reading about exfoliation feature on the early Kolari mods recently, and I was pleased to understand that, Like Leica they were fixing it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My decision is made - I am definitely going FF mirrorless, just not sure if with Nikon or Panasonic. Would have really loved that Olympus would also go FF - however I am happy with what we have or will get now from others.

Currently I am still gravitating towards Nikon - but hey, will decide as soon as we see a working Panasonic FF with lenses.

Sorry for Olympus anyway, but on the other hand I had great times with their products - but well "Life is an ever changing journey" :cool:

iiiNelson

Seems like a lot of GH5 owners are pissy about not having a flipout screen to the effectof creating petitions online... ehhh... well I hope it keeps the present configuration.

V

Vivek

Seems like a lot of GH5 owners are pissy about not having a flipout screen to the effectof creating petitions online... ehhh... well I hope it keeps the present configuration.
I am not a GH5 owner (I still have a GH2 if that counts..) but where can i sign?

I hope Panasonic will have the good sense to have a swivel LCD n its final configuration.

It was really dumb to copy Sony’s crippled flip out screen.

Let me reiterate, I am dismissing the Panasonic offerings precisely because of the flip screen.

iiiNelson

I am not a GH5 owner (I still have a GH2 if that counts..) but where can i sign?

I hope Panasonic will have the good sense to have a swivel LCD n its final configuration.

It was really dumb to copy Sony’s crippled flip out screen.

Let me reiterate, I am dismissing the Panasonic offerings precisely because of the flip screen.
You can find the petition in Facebook group and they copied the Fuji screen which I find to be ideal for my type of shooting.

Fully articulating screen is a big negative for me on a camera designed primarily for photography (have it on my G1 and the GH2 when I owned it). It’s not horrible but tilt is better for me in day to day usage. Now if they make a SH1 (or limit the articulating screen to the S1 which is supposed to have the better video features then that would be okay I guess. I would expect a fully articulating screen personally for the video centric models but not on the S1R. I won’t fully dismiss it with a articulating screen but it become a lot less attractive for my personal desires. As it stands the only real negative I’ve found is no PDAF... fully articulating would kinda be strike 2.

V

Vivek

Again, let me emphasise that the fully articulating LCD helps with the portrait orientation while with the tilt it is impossible.

It is not for selfies!

iiiNelson

Again, let me emphasise that the fully articulating LCD helps with the portrait orientation while with the tilt it is impossible.

It is not for selfies!
The 3-way tilt actually works fine in portrait orientation. I’d argue it actually works better than fully articulating due to being flush with the body. Check it on on the XT2, XH1, GFX50S, or XT3.

As for self portraits... if a person has time to set up a tripod they have time to use the camera remote app for framing for portraits. Just my opinion though. To each their own but it’s an overblown “issue” for photography IMO.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

The 3-way tilt actually works fine in portrait orientation. I’d argue it actually works better than fully articulating due to being flush with the body. Check it on on the XT2, XH1, GFX50S, or XT3.

As for self portraits... if a person has time to set up a tripod they have time to use the camera remote app for framing for portraits. Just my opinion though. To each their own but it’s an overblown “issue” for photography IMO.
There is now a change.org petition for Panasonic to use a fully articulating LCD :). Did Vivek start it ;-)?
I personally find fully articulating LCDs cumbersome. With an installed L-plate such a screen often cannot be moved until the plate is loosened. In the implementation that I know, a tilting screen is quicker to move and the camera is easier to hold than with a swing-out articulating screen. On the other hand, I am also not interested in selfies and vlogging.

iiiNelson

There is now a change.org petition for Panasonic to use a fully articulating LCD :). Did Vivek start it ;-)?
I personally find fully articulating LCDs cumbersome. With an installed L-plate such a screen often cannot be moved until the plate is loosened. In the implementation that I know, a tilting screen is quicker to move and the camera is easier to hold than with a swing-out articulating screen. On the other hand, I am also not interested in selfies and vlogging.
I don’t think he did and that’s the petition I was talking about. Apparently it caught the attention of Tony Northrup and possibly blew up bigger than it originally was so there’s that too.

V

Vivek

Correct.

Kudos to whoever started it! :thumbs:

My vote will be in and I urge everyone else serious about this system to press for it as well.

Window shoppers please stay away- Nikon and Sony got you covered:)