The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

flash

Correct.

Kudos to whoever started it! :thumbs:

My vote will be in and I urge everyone else serious about this system to press for it as well.

Window shoppers please stay away- Nikon and Sony got you covered:)
You do realise that the Panasonic screens will tilt vertically as well as horizontally, don't you? They're not the same as Sony's version. They will articulate in two directions.

Having the Fuji style tilt is a huge plus for me, as a stills photographer. A selfie type screen would be a big negative as I can't use it with an L plate at all. May as well be fixed. It's only v-loggers and instagram influencers who want a selphie type screen.

Gordon

Godfrey

Somehow, I suspect that Panasonic has more than adequate resources to design and fab a state of the art FF sensor. :)

G

iiiNelson

You do realise that the Panasonic screens will tilt vertically as well as horizontally, don't you? They're not the same as Sony's version. They will articulate in two directions.

Having the Fuji style tilt is a huge plus for me, as a stills photographer. A selfie type screen would be a big negative as I can't use it with an L plate at all. May as well be fixed. It's only v-loggers and instagram influencers who want a selphie type screen.

Gordon
Well I wouldn’t say that it’s ONLY vloggers that want a fully articulating screen but there’s an obvious advantage to having it in some ENG (electronic news gathering), interviewing, and one person video settings. With many budgets shrinking I can understand the appeal for some but for photography the tilting screens has its obvious advantages as it applies to ergonomics.

iiiNelson

Correct.

Kudos to whoever started it! :thumbs:

My vote will be in and I urge everyone else serious about this system to press for it as well.

Window shoppers please stay away- Nikon and Sony got you covered:)
A rep that claimed to be from Panasonic Australia chimed in over the weekend on the Facebook thread about the petition for a fully articulating screen and stated that the design decision for the 3-way tilting screen was due to feedback from professional photographers that have worked with Panasonic cameras over the years. He also stated this was a desired feature to meet the demands that they wanted/needed in a photographic-centric camera. He didn’t rule out the possibility of a redesign or the possibility of future models launching down the line with a fully articulating screen but stated this was the design that many photographers preferred.

Multiple new threads have been started to complain about the current design but I think Panasonic may be after a different market with these releases based on their possible feedback... maybe the camera you desire will come into fruition down the line.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A rep that claimed to be from Panasonic Australia chimed in over the weekend on the Facebook thread about the petition for a fully articulating screen and stated that the design decision for the 3-way tilting screen was due to feedback from professional photographers that have worked with Panasonic cameras over the years. He also stated this was a desired feature to meet the demands that they wanted/needed in a photographic-centric camera. He didn’t rule out the possibility of a redesign or the possibility of future models launching down the line with a fully articulating screen but stated this was the design that many photographers preferred.

Multiple LE threads have been started to complain about the current design but I think Panasonic may be after a different market with these releases based on their possible feedback... maybe the camera you desire will come into fruition down the line.
I'm sure he's right. Vloggers will prefer the GH5/GH5s anyway. They have little need for shallow depth of field and absolutely no need for heavy full frame lenses. As for myself, I'm actually closer to buying a GH5s than one of the new full frame bodies.

iiiNelson

I'm sure he's right. Vloggers will prefer the GH5/GH5s anyway. They have little need for shallow depth of field and absolutely no need for heavy full frame lenses. As for myself, I'm actually closer to buying a GH5s than one of the new full frame bodies.
As many cinema cameras move up in sensor size to FF 35mm and larger (Think Sony Venice, Arri’s newer cameras, and RED’s VV formats) there’s a desire by many budding videographers to match that look in their cameras as well. I tend to agree that with the specs released so far the GH is a more versatile hybrid camera geared to videographers with native anamorphic modes, as well as, most every video option a person could want (besides a larger sensor) built in. For the average person the G9 or the Lumix S will be more than enough but if you’re serious about video the GH should be towards the top of your list.

iiiNelson

In photographic applications possibly... CDAF can be more accurate than PDAF. In video applications no one has solved the CDAF “jitters” yet. Perhaps Panasonic and DFD2 will/can. Video AF performance is one of the few things I’m concerned about with this camera. I’ve been getting requests from a few photographers that I work with locally for someone with video experience to assist them. I’ve done a lot of second wedding shooter gigs on the side this summer. On paper though it generally looks like it’s checking all my boxes so far.

Last edited:
Perhaps L-Mount participants will expand and perhaps Leica will carry all L-Mount products in their own stores
Unlikely. They don't currently carry third party compatible M lenses, for example, except occasionally in the used section, and they certainly don't currently carry any Panasonic cameras though the lens often bear the Leica name.

iiiNelson

Unlikely. They don't currently carry third party compatible M lenses, for example, except occasionally in the used section, and they certainly don't currently carry any Panasonic cameras though the lens often bear the Leica name.
Yes and there was a time Capture One didn’t support other Medium Format Cameras. Point being is that things can change. Not saying it’s a done deal but there’s discussions about it.

iiiNelson

Panasonic’s position on Micro 4/3... in short they’ll continue development for the foreseeable future.

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-...f-the-system-camera-market-is-not-full-frame/

Precisely the reason I’m interested in the Lumix S. I find Micro 4/3 and FF systems to be complimentary to one another; not an either or proposition... the same way I see APS-C systems and cropped Medium Format.

On a side note, I actually found my Panasonic battery charger when I wasn’t actually looking for it (always happens that way I guess) in our bedroom (and not in the storage bin I thought I put it in so it wouldn’t get lost) of all places and even though it’s 10 years old I still dig the IQ of the G1 at ISO 1600 or below. Can’t use it for most (or really any if I’m being honest) of my pro work nor can it compare in anyway with the A7RII but that doesn’t mean it sucks. Also looking back the G1 was the first kit lens I can remember that didn’t actually suck completely though the aperture slow on the long end.

Last edited:

rayyan

Warning! Off Topic.

While everyone is looking to go 35mm FF, I honestly an considering a MFT system.
Even Fuji Pro glass is as heavy as Nikon FF :shocked:

I want a light less bulky system. Shallow DOF be damned.

That's it for now. Thank you.

iiiNelson

Warning! Off Topic.

While everyone is looking to go 35mm FF, I honestly an considering a MFT system.
Even Fuji Pro glass is as heavy as Nikon FF :shocked:

I want a light less bulky system. Shallow DOF be damned.

That's it for now. Thank you.
I think you’d like the Panasonic GX85 and some of their lighter primes and zooms.

rayyan

Thanks Tre.

I need a ' camera ' not a toy ;)

Best.

p.s. mind you, the Z6 is lighter than the G9/EMi MKii! And so is the Nikon Z kit zoom.
Unless I really go for f4/5 -? not much weight savings :(

I think you’d like the Panasonic GX85 and some of their lighter primes and zooms.