The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

rayyan

Having watched the hands-on video posted by Tre above this post...I have lost all interest in all 35 FF.
For over 30 years, I have lugged the DSLRs. Not anymore. Whether it be Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Sony, or Leica.

Peter, I am seriously thinking of getting the same MFT set-up as you ( the 14-100 ) or a body with a 12-40 and a 35-100mm lens. And be done with it.
I am an amateur photog who travels. And the camera and lenses have to fit me on travel. Nothing else matters to me.

I find the price a bit high for me currently..so again I shall wait.

Best.

Have thought about that EM1.2 and 12-100/4 as travel kit already. Waiting to get this lens as soon as there are some significant discounts.

Waiting for the right FF system seems to be the right thing to do. Was a bit overwhelmed by how I liked the Z7 and I still find it a great camera (system) although giving this decision some more time is obviously good because of several reasons ;)

iiiNelson

Having watched the hands-on video posted by Tre above this post...I have lost all interest in all 35 FF.
For over 30 years, I have lugged the DSLRs. Not anymore. Whether it be Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Sony, or Leica.

Peter, I am seriously thinking of getting the same MFT set-up as you ( the 14-100 ) or a body with a 12-40 and a 35-100mm lens. And be done with it.
I am an amateur photog who travels. And the camera and lenses have to fit me on travel. Nothing else matters to me.

I find the price a bit high for me currently..so again I shall wait.

Best.
When it comes to size:IQ it’s hard to beat Micro 4/3 or Fuji IMO.

Elderly

….For over 30 years, I have lugged the DSLRs. Not anymore. ….…….I am an amateur photog who travels. And the camera and lenses have to fit me on travel. Nothing else matters to me. I find the price a bit high for me currently..so again I shall wait.Best.
/\ This.As a pro back in the era of film, I happily spent money on every new Nikon body (every 7 years or so???) and happily lugged around an enormous amount of equipment and its back-up (I was young and stronger back then).Now, I too am an amateur photographer who travels, and the camera and lenses have to fit me on travel. Nothing else matters to me (except a degree of quality for which M4/3 just about suffices). As for price - Despite not wanting to pay for being an early adopter, I always succumb. I try and find a deal, pay for what I want, USE the equipment and (try to) forget all about the money. I am overwhelmed with this raft of FF announcements and so for the first time I'm not even thinking about being tempted away from my simple M4/3 'travel' set-up.....….......…….. yet :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was just offered the Zuiko 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye for m4/3, more or less mint, for well under half of new price. I've been eyeing that lens for a while, so I just had to say yes :chug: I'm going to spend a lot of time with that lens and the 10-25mm f/1.7 before I consider upgrading to full frame. Then there's the PL 50-200... :ROTFL:

Don't believe anything I say or plan. I'll change my views tomorrow... or today. :loco:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was just offered the Zuiko 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye for m4/3, more or less mint, for well under half of new price. I've been eyeing that lens for a while, so I just had to say yes :chug: I'm going to spend a lot of time with that lens and the 10-25mm f/1.7 before I consider upgrading to full frame. Then there's the PL 50-200... :ROTFL:

Don't believe anything I say or plan. I'll change my views tomorrow... or today. :loco:
Congratulation on your new fisheye lens! Hope to see some photos soon!

The 1.7/10-25 will sure be great but too expensive for me for a m43 lens.

I will upgrade (build a second FF system) by then :cool:

At least these are my plans .... not sure what high end m43 camera comes next from Olympus :clap:

iiiNelson

Congratulation on your new fisheye lens! Hope to see some photos soon!

The 1.7/10-25 will sure be great but too expensive for me for a m43 lens.

I will upgrade (build a second FF system) by then :cool:

At least these are my plans .... not sure what high end m43 camera comes next from Olympus :clap:
I think the idea behind the 10-25/1.7 is that it’ll replace 5 primes for the price of 2-3 primes (well in my mind until the official pricing is announced). Now if it costs as much as buying the focal lengths separately it’ll have a more limited audience from having to sell existing lenses at a loss just to save bag space.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think the idea behind the 10-25/1.7 is that it’ll replace 5 primes for the price of 2-3 primes (well in my mind until the official pricing is announced). Now if it costs as much as buying the focal lengths separately it’ll have a more limited audience from having to sell existing lenses at a loss just to save bag space.
It's not only about cost, but about not having to change lenses in situations where time or other circumstances make that problematic. In my case, industrial photography will be the typical application, with limited lighting, hostile environments and awkward work positions, sometimes suspended from a crane that costs a fortune per hour to rent.

Lately, If solved this by using a 9-18 mm on one body and a 25 mm on another, but the 9-18 is f/4-5.6, too slow for indoor use. The 7-14 f/2.8 would give me 1-2 stops extra, but the gap to the 25mm would be too large unless I replace that prime with the 12-35 mm f/2.8 zoom. This new zoom solves all of this, and enables me to do the whole job using one body with one lens.

iiiNelson

It's not only about cost, but about not having to change lenses in situations where time or other circumstances make that problematic. In my case, industrial photography will be the typical application, with limited lighting, hostile environments and awkward work positions, sometimes suspended from a crane that costs a fortune per hour to rent.

Lately, If solved this by using a 9-18 mm on one body and a 25 mm on another, but the 9-18 is f/4-5.6, too slow for indoor use. The 7-14 f/2.8 would give me 1-2 stops extra, but the gap to the 25mm would be too large unless I replace that prime with the 12-35 mm f/2.8 zoom. This new zoom solves all of this, and enables me to do the whole job using one body with one lens.
True I understand allnof that. I’m speaking from a marketing standpoint where you have to convince people to give up their primes that often give you a half stop of light and one would need to sell/trade for the one lens kit

I’m speaking from a marketing standpoint where you have to convince people to give up their primes that often give you a half stop of light and one would need to sell/trade for the one lens kit
My experience is that people do not give up their primes to buy zooms. They just buy the zooms. The camera and lens side of photography is rarely a zero sum game. But your experience may be different.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My experience is that people do not give up their primes to buy zooms. They just buy the zooms. The camera and lens side of photography is rarely a zero sum game. But your experience may be different.
I agree, and particularly when it comes to the rather compact mirrorless bodies, having access to the much more compact primes as well is sometimes important. I often leave home with just the GM5 and a 12 or 25 mm prime. That's more or less pocket size. The 10-25 mm will certainly not be pocket sized :)

Elderly

My experience is that people do not give up their primes to buy zooms. They just buy the zooms. ……………………………….. But your experience may be different.
My personal experience is that when I was a pro, I didn't own a zoom;
now I'm an amateur, I don't own a prime

iiiNelson

I guess it would depend on the person.

I’m interested in the 10-25 because I sold all the primes I had for Micro 4/3 when I mostly divested from the system outside keeping a G1 and 14-45 zoom. This lens would fit my wide desires and speed needs for a midrange zoom that I could stick on a body and do most travel/street photos with. Now with my Sony kit I only own primes and rent zooms as wanted/needed when it makes sense to do so. I’m not opposed to zooms these days as they’ve come a long way from the old days where there was a significant optical compromise. These days that’s rarely the case and you mainly compromise aperture speed and DoF compared to primes of similar focal lengths.

rayyan

I need some ventolin! Gasp!

10-25/1.7. Bright and compact! It is mentioned. Somewhere.

And of course it takes standard run of the mill 77mm filters.

For the MFT system :wtf:

There I was thinking about small n light.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Ah.... but I have some smaller lenses. The excellent Zuiko 12mm f/2 with real, physical focus ring and DOF scale is just 130g and uses 46mm filters, here on the just over 200g GM5:

Here's the rest of my compact setup, also with the GM5, the 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 on the camera at 70g and using 37mm filters, the 35-100mm f/4-5.6 at 135g using 46mm filters and the 25mm f/1.7 at 125g also with 46mm filters:

I also have the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II, 110g and 46mm filters.

iiiNelson

I think the purpose of this lens really is to pair with the GH5 or the G9 which it would be more balanced on. As stated though there are smaller and lighter options available as well though like the excellent 15/1.7, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/2.8 Macro, 12-35/2.8, or 12-60 (either version) for a general purpose all around lens.

On a side note I prefer the 14-45 (if you can still find them) over the 14-42 that it was replaced by.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think the purpose of this lens really is to pair with the GH5 or the G9 which it would be more balanced on. As stated though there are smaller and lighter options available as well though like the excellent 15/1.7, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/2.8 Macro, 12-35/2.8, or 12-60 (either version) for a general purpose all around lens.

On a side note I prefer the 14-45 (if you can still find them) over the 14-42 that it was replaced by.
I preferred the 14-45 too, but stupidly gave away mine with a GH1. The 14-42 II is fine though, and I got mine for free from somebody who bought the PL 12-60. :)

The 12-35mm f/2.8 is very highly recommended. Possibly the best zoom lens that I have owned, and compares favourably with most primes.

iiiNelson

I preferred the 14-45 too, but stupidly gave away mine with a GH1. The 14-42 II is fine though, and I got mine for free from somebody who bought the PL 12-60. :)

The 12-35mm f/2.8 is very highly recommended. Possibly the best zoom lens that I have owned, and compares favourably with most primes.
Yeah I did a quick search ol for the 14-45 and they’re going for about twice as much as the 14-42 but still in the ~$300 range new. I haven’t tried the newer 12-60’s but it’s a more useful focal range for sure so I’d look at them as well if I was butingninto the system.