The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Interesting indeed and I am sure that m43 - if the involved companies play it right by designing small but powerful cameras again at reasonable prices compared to FF counterparts and continue interesting lens development - will have a long life! The advantages of this system, especially WRT size and IQ of longer lenses are enormous. Just do not make the parts too expensive.

Found it might make sense to show at least a few photos showing the quality of m43 and what it can offer already today ;) And we have still a long way to go with current silicon sensor technology and not even to speak about what comes after that with organic sensors :cool:

EM1.2 with 2.8/40-150 PRO
2018-10-12_0047.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2018-10-12_0062.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

and with 4/300 PRO

2018-10-14_0025.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2018-10-14_0037.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

iiiNelson

Interesting indeed and I am sure that m43 - if the involved companies play it right by designing small but powerful cameras again at reasonable prices compared to FF counterparts and continue interesting lens development - will have a long life! The advantages of this system, especially WRT size and IQ of longer lenses are enormous. Just do not make the parts too expensive.

Found it might make sense to show at least a few photos showing the quality of m43 and what it can offer already today ;) And we have still a long way to go with current silicon sensor technology and not even to speak about what comes after that with organic sensors :cool:

EM1.2 with 2.8/40-150 PRO
2018-10-12_0047.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2018-10-12_0062.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

and with 4/300 PRO

2018-10-14_0025.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2018-10-14_0037.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr
Yeah I don’t think anyone can deny the capability of most any modern camera to make great images in ideal conditions. Really the only reason to look at larger sensor sizes is when shooting in less than ideal conditions (for instance wedding or event photographers) and that’s where they make the most sense for me. Also for the super shallow depth of field as well when artistic looks are desired. That being said in “ISO 100-400 conditions” Micro 4/3 should be more than “good enough” for most needs. Yes I know they can shoot at higher ISO’s but it’s less than ideal compared with larger sensors. I personally feel their usefulness for color tops off around ISO 1600 or so and ISO 3200 for B&W but I realize this is subjective preference.

I agree that less expensive Micro 4/3 will be needed for their continued success but the days of the $1500 FF (former flagship) are almost here and that presents a dilemma for those on the fence without any loyalty of what to choose. Obviously lens prices and size are a factor but people have become comfortable with the idea of adapting lenses though I always push native lenses UNLESS a person is looking for a specific “look.”

iiiNelson

rayyan

Jorgen, indeed that is a small and light system.

But having the following..

It is really hard for me to make any sort of call. Maybe just stay with this. Excellent glass ( Fuji makes superb glass ), the XP2 fits like a glove in my hand. All WR inc. the camera.
Fast apertures..1.4, 2, 2.

Interesting times.

Ah.... but I have some smaller lenses. The excellent Zuiko 12mm f/2 with real, physical focus ring and DOF scale is just 130g and uses 46mm filters, here on the just over 200g GM5:

Here's the rest of my compact setup, also with the GM5, the 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 on the camera at 70g and using 37mm filters, the 35-100mm f/4-5.6 at 135g using 46mm filters and the 25mm f/1.7 at 125g also with 46mm filters:

I also have the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II, 110g and 46mm filters.

iiiNelson

Jorgen, indeed that is a small and light system.

But having the following..

It is really hard for me to make any sort of call. Maybe just stay with this. Excellent glass ( Fuji makes superb glass ), the XP2 fits like a glove in my hand. All WR inc. the camera.
Fast apertures..1.4, 2, 2.

Interesting times.
You could go XE3 and get even smaller but you may lose a few features.

rayyan

Thanks Tre.

I am not comfortable holding the XE3 in the hand. Else it would be indeed a slightly smaller system.
In reality, it is the lenses that add the weight and the bulk....specially if one would like faster lenses.

Take for example the XP2 I have illustrated above. I feel I am missing a tele in this set-up. I can live without that, but it does come in handy at times.
A fixed 90/2 is big. The 50-140mm f/2.8! I might as well carry a Nikon 70-200 F/4.
The Fuji 55-200mm though not a fast lens, is big for a mirrorless imo. But in the end I might just have to get that.
I could replace the 16/1.4 with a 14/2.8 to further reduce weight and bulk. But loose speed and WR.

It is just a game of compromises. To be fair, no one system will tick all boxes. It is which boxes are important for a photog that matters.

My wife is in Spain right now, carrying the XT-1 and the 18-55. I think, unless she goes to the Pyrenees, she should get very good pics. Even there, that set-up would do her well.

In the end, I question myself if I really have the money to change/buy a new system? The answer would really have to be a resounding No!. Not for a new camera.

Best.

You could go XE3 and get even smaller but you may lose a few features.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Tre.

I am not comfortable holding the XE3 in the hand. Else it would be indeed a slightly smaller system.
In reality, it is the lenses that add the weight and the bulk....specially if one would like faster lenses.

Take for example the XP2 I have illustrated above. I feel I am missing a tele in this set-up. I can live without that, but it does come in handy at times.
A fixed 90/2 is big. The 50-140mm f/2.8! I might as well carry a Nikon 70-200 F/4.
The Fuji 55-200mm though not a fast lens, is big for a mirrorless imo. But in the end I might just have to get that.
I could replace the 16/1.4 with a 14/2.8 to further reduce weight and bulk. But loose speed and WR.

It is just a game of compromises. To be fair, no one system will tick all boxes. It is which boxes are important for a photog that matters.

My wife is in Spain right now, carrying the XT-1 and the 18-55. I think, unless she goes to the Pyrenees, she should get very good pics. Even there, that set-up would do her well.

In the end, I question myself if I really have the money to change/buy a new system? The answer would really have to be a resounding No!. Not for a new camera.

Best.
Why not consider an Olympus EM1.2 with the 4/12-100 PRO. the EM1.2 should be available now with huge discounts and some discounts are in for the lens as well and you get an all in one high quality combo for a good price. Especially the 4/12-100 PRO is one of the key lenses for m43 IMHO - sharp, highest IQ, light and compact for that focal range and not to beat in another system like APSC or FF.

For fast needs add maybe the 1.8/17 or/and 1.8/45 and you have an unbeatable fast, light and versatile setup.

Last edited:

rayyan

Hello Peter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am indeed considering the EM1.2 and the 12-100/4 PRO. However, I do not see any price discounts around. And where I am, there are never any discounts!
I am reluctant to get one sight unseen even if there are discounts. So it comes down to my family when they visit me from the States, they could get one and if it is defective take it back with them.

Let me see.

Take care.

Why not consider an Olympus EM1.2 with the 4/12-100 PRO. the EM1.2 should be available now with huge discounts and some discounts are in for the lens as well and you get an all in one high quality combo for a good price. Especially the 4/12-100 PRO is one of the key lenses for m43 IMHO - sharp, highest IQ, light and compact for that focal range and not to beat in another system like APSC or FF.

For fast needs add maybe the 1.8/17 or/and 1.8/45 and you have an unbeatable fast, light and versatile setup.

iiiNelson

Actually I think we need a new Panasonic FF thread ....

anyway just today it was announced that the new Panasonic FF S zooms -24-105 and 70-200 - will just have an aperture of f 4.0.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/pa...oms-will-both-have-a-constant-f-4-0-aperture/

That is rather underwhelming and makes actually my decisions towards FF mirrorless a lot easier :thumbup:
I expected that much based on size compared to the 50/1.4 but they may be optically great so you may still want to test them before buying anything... then there are the other 7 lenses expected before the end of 2019. The new Canon 24-105 L for the EOS R is excellent (as is the 50/1.2 and 28-70).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That price is really steep and I by no means am sure I would pay as much for whatever Panasonic camera - especially given their price decline pretty short after introduction - see example of G9. Instead of spending that much money for a Panasonic L-mount I would rather invest in the new Leica SL to be announced next year. This way I could be at least sure that I would not loose as much money.

Anyway the good thing seems to be that I start seeing more clear now:

1) stay with m43 as my main camera system (Olympus EM1.2 and Pro lenses ) and add either the EM1X ($3000) or a second EM1.2

2) if I want FF mirrorless - and this is what I finally consider - buy a Nikon Z7 with some selected S-lenses as soon as the ones I need become available.

Sounds like a decent plan for me!

Last edited:
$4500 is steep indeed. I must have missed something when I did my spec comparison against the Z7 and a7RIII. Is the extra $1000 the Leica lens mount licensing fee?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well Prter, let’s see what Olympus will actually announce and when? :grin:
Should be in January - as rumoured.

What will be announced (what I found and heard)

20MP, High Res mode with 1/60 sec handheld, size much larger using 2 of the EM1.2 batteries in fixed mounted grip, EVF same resolution but larger, 4k 60fps internal, 4k 120fps external ----- this camera is all about speed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For the price of a Porsche, you can buy a very nice pickup truck, which is a much bigger car. I wouldn't be surprised if you can buy two pickup trucks actually for that price, one for weekdays and one for Sundays.

At the moment, Panasonic seems rather successful selling a 10MP m4/3 camera without IBIS for $2,300 after discounts, the GH5s. Why? Because it offers features that no other mirrorless camera offers, and because those features are important to the users.

Panasonic is an innovative company (they invented mirrorless, remember?), and I'm sure they'll include some features with these new cameras that are to die for... or stay alive but pay a slightly higher fee than for you average CaNiSony.

We don't know yet what features the S1/R will offer.

Last edited: