The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Contax Yashira lenses are still great though and were the basis for the optical formula used in the Zeiss Master Primes... perhaps the CP.3 cinema lenses are different but the 85/1.4, 100/2, 180/2.8 (along with the 28/2. “Hollywood” and 55/1.2) are truly special lenses.
I had the Contax 85/1.4, and it's one of very few "vintage" lenses I would consider buying again. It's a truly great lens.

iiiNelson

I had the Contax 85/1.4, and it's one of very few "vintage" lenses I would consider buying again. It's a truly great lens.
Yeah I pretty much shot 95% of my safari shots with the 85/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8, and the 180/2.8 (all MMJ formulas). The 100/2 is in my top 3-5 portrait/telephoto lenses of all time and I still kick myself for selling it. The 180/2.8 was the biggest surprise with its floating lens element. Incredibly sharp and closer focus than you think.

iiiNelson

So I’m wondering if that ~$4000 rumored price is a kit price with the 24-105. That would make sense and seem fair given that the Z7 kit goes for $4000 and the EOS R kit goes for $3400.

Maybe something was lost in translation and the rumored price was for a kit which would likely put the body only price around $3000 like all of the current direct competition for the S1R. This seems quite a bit more likely and I could see the 50/1.4 going for $1200 or so and the 70-200/4 going for $1500 or so. This would mean one could get a complete S1R kit (covering 24-200mm) for a little more than the cost of the SL.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Could of more notes from a French Magazine interview. No new info but it’s telling of Panasonic’s direction. Perhaps the GH6 will focus on improving the quality of the GH5’s 4K. Maybe Micro 4/3 will stop increasing video resolution at 4K and just increase frame rates and perhaps ProRES RAW while the Lumix S does all of that AND 8k.

https://www.l-rumors.com/panasonic-...e-l-mount-cameras-is-coming-for-sure-in-2020/
At least Olympus stated a year ago that they look forward to develop 8k in a m43 camera ....

So maybe the future is not so black.

iiiNelson

Have seen that -while I hope they succeed in delivering I have my doubts given the history Sigma had over the past years with Foveon sensors and cameras :banghead:
The big thing is whether they’ll work with the major RAW conversion developers so that the cameras work optimally with them. If not, the Foveon camera will remain a niche.

iiiNelson

Olympus is officially reassuring that they will NOT go FF and see this as a big advantage for them!

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-re-confirms-in-interview-that-they-will-not-go-full-frame/

I am pretty sure they are right .... :bugeyes:
This explains their small market share for sure.

Literally every camera maker be it Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Leica, Pentax, or Panasonic is offering system cameras with multiple sensor sizes now. Some are Mirrorless and some aren’t... even DSLR’s have continually shrunk in size over the last 5 years as a response to Mirrorless cameras (and mobile phones/action cameras/drones) largely cutting into their sales figures.

As the saying goes - you can walk and chew gum simultaneously.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm sure Olympus is doing the right thing. Those who leave m4/3 for full frame won't automatically choose a Panasonic or Olympus camera (if Olympus had launched one). Keeping several product lines alive is expensive, and although Olympus is a niche player, they seem to be rather comfortable with their niche. For me, there are no rational rasons to leave m4/3. Image quality is more than good enough, and there's no way getting around the fact that full frame lenses are larger.

The absurd side of this is that while sensor quality is improving, many go towards larger sensors while the quality of 4/3 sensors is becoming better than full frame sensors were just a decade ago. M4/3 gives me the smallest interchangeable lens/cameras combinations available in the market, the best hybrid video camera and soon probably the best compact action camera system, all based around the same sensor size and lens mount. Lens choice is the only problem. There are so many alternatives that my brain runs around in circles unable to make a final choice :shocked:

Customers pay exactly the same amount of money for the photos that I take with m4/3 equipment as they do with images I took with the D810 and other full frame cameras. I understand that there are photographers within certain niches who need or want larger sensors, but for most people, sensor size has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of their images. That comes from the eye, the brain and from hours, weeks and years of practice.

So we are left with marketing and perceived value. More and bigger is better, and the consumerist society dictates improvement through consumption rather than practice and learning. The ice on Greenland is apparently melting, but never mind. At least we'll get some great, noise free photos of the final iceberg leaving for the Atlantic.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This explains their small market share for sure.

Literally every camera maker be it Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Leica, Pentax, or Panasonic is offering system cameras with multiple sensor sizes now. Some are Mirrorless and some aren’t... even DSLR’s have continually shrunk in size over the last 5 years as a response to Mirrorless cameras (and mobile phones/action cameras/drones) largely cutting into their sales figures.

As the saying goes - you can walk and chew gum simultaneously.
Issue and matter of fact is - if you make the sensor larger, also all lenses are going to be larger. This is reality and based on physics and cannot be discussed away with whatever arguments :thumbup:

What is impressive on the other side is how small mirrorless FF cameras can be built today, even including effective IBIS - Z6/Z7 :thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm sure Olympus is doing the right thing. Those who leave m4/3 for full frame won't automatically choose a Panasonic or Olympus camera (if Olympus had launched one). Keeping several product lines alive is expensive, and although Olympus is a niche player, they seem to be rather comfortable with their niche. For me, there are no rational rasons to leave m4/3. Image quality is more than good enough, and there's no way getting around the fact that full frame lenses are larger.

The absurd side of this is that while sensor quality is improving, many go towards larger sensors while the quality of 4/3 sensors is becoming better than full frame sensors were just a decade ago. M4/3 gives me the smallest interchangeable lens/cameras combinations available in the market, the best hybrid video camera and soon probably the best compact action camera system, all based around the same sensor size and lens mount. Lens choice is the only problem. There are so many alternatives that my brain runs around in circles unable to make a final choice :shocked:

Customers pay exactly the same amount of money for the photos that I take with m4/3 equipment as they do with images I took with the D810 and other full frame cameras. I understand that there are photographers within certain niches who need or want larger sensors, but for most people, sensor size has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of their images. That comes from the eye, the brain and from hours, weeks and years of practice.

So we are left with marketing and perceived value. More and bigger is better, and the consumerist society dictates improvement through consumption rather than practice and learning. The ice on Greenland is apparently melting, but never mind. At least we'll get some great, noise free photos of the final iceberg leaving for the Atlantic.
How true !!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

WRT lenses for m43 - easy choice IMHO, at least for me - Olympus PRO :thumbup:

WRT FF need / want - I do not need one but I want one :banghead:

WRT what I most probably will do - stay m43 (EM1.2 and maybe EM1X) and if I find some money in some secret bank account I will add the one or other FF - but I guess that will rather not happen :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
How true !!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

WRT lenses for m43 - easy choice IMHO, at least for me - Olympus PRO :thumbup:

WRT FF need / want - I do not need one but I want one :banghead:

WRT what I most probably will do - stay m43 (EM1.2 and maybe EM1X) and if I find some money in some secret bank account I will add the one or other FF - but I guess that will rather not happen :ROTFL:
The quality of the high end m4/3 lenses is amazing, optically as well as physically. I'm only buying second hand nowadays, the exception being the 100-300mm that I bought a year ago, and most of the lenses look like new even after many years of use. Buying pro grade lenses used is a much better investment than buying amateur lenses new, since the pro lenses are built to last and are easy to sell. I'm only buying and selling locally now, so I also get to see and try every lens before I make up my mind.

iiiNelson

Issue and matter of fact is - if you make the sensor larger, also all lenses are going to be larger. This is reality and based on physics and cannot be discussed away with whatever arguments :thumbup:

What is impressive on the other side is how small mirrorless FF cameras can be built today, even including effective IBIS - Z6/Z7 :thumbs:
I don’t disagree with your points but was ONLY making a point that nearly everyone else has a small sensor option AND a large sensor option.

Olympus does have their niche BUT there is clearly room to grow in market for peoplenthat want more than sensor shift composite imaging tech. They have a strength in lens design - even if they don’t develop their own system there’s room for them to design lenses for other systems to generate additional income.