The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Panasonic released the 2nd of the Lumix S videos today on YouTube. They don’t tell you much you probably didn’t already know but it’s nice to see they’re out in the “wild” being tested.

https://youtu.be/jgBRb21l5PE

They released this one last week in case you missed it.

https://youtu.be/s3tfyfqh_nY
Many thanks for these links - or should I better not THANK YOU :cool::ROTFL::banghead:

Always as soon as I see such videos I become tempted again to get this gear. Called GAS ???? Maybe but I am really looking forward to what Panasonic will roll out over the next year.

At least I have 4 options:

1) stay with m43
2) go 100% Fuji (X-T3 and later X-H2) - actually very tempting!
3) go FF with Panasonic and L-mount
4) go FF with Nikon Z-mount

and actually there is the possibility to do any of the above combined, but most likely that would mean Olympus m43 and Panasonic FF.

What's not to like about that?

PeterA

I think Panasonic would be very very smart if they decided to make an apc and ff version using L mount - this woudl provide their customers with the same advantages that Sony and leica deliver to their customers - dual purposing of lenses across two chip formats.

pegelli

I think Panasonic would be very very smart if they decided to make an apc and ff version using L mount - this woudl provide their customers with the same advantages that Sony and leica deliver to their customers - dual purposing of lenses across two chip formats.
Or Nikon doing the same with Z-mount.

Only question is if L and Z mounts are not too big for APS-C ;)

V

Vivek

If the m43 mount is not too big for its sensor then the Z mount is just fine for APS-C. :)

PeterA

Or Nikon doing the same with Z-mount.

Only question is if L and Z mounts are not too big for APS-C ;)
I just 'discovered' that panasonic have stated they wont be making an L mount lens series for an apc camera....( which means Leica get to clip the ticket on Leica/panasonic lenses and Panasonic get to keep calling them that) - look slike Sigma will be the manufacturer that is free to make L mount alternatives for apc..

Pete - the Leica TL and CL (apc) series use the L mount - same as SL (35mm) .....same as Sony situation they have 'cleverly' engineered. Smart startegy on the part of Sony and others are only recently start to catch up...

iiiNelson

Many thanks for these links - or should I better not THANK YOU :cool::ROTFL::banghead:

Always as soon as I see such videos I become tempted again to get this gear. Called GAS ???? Maybe but I am really looking forward to what Panasonic will roll out over the next year.

At least I have 4 options:

1) stay with m43
2) go 100% Fuji (X-T3 and later X-H2) - actually very tempting!
3) go FF with Panasonic and L-mount
4) go FF with Nikon Z-mount

and actually there is the possibility to do any of the above combined, but most likely that would mean Olympus m43 and Panasonic FF.

What's not to like about that?
Yeah I look forward to their offering too. My biggest questions are CDAF performance and lens roadmap questions.

Again... nothing wrong with GAS if it inspires you to get out there and shoot more frequently. Your existing camera is probably fine for most things already but I imagine a new camera is like upgrading to the newest iteration of the latest Porsche 911. It’ll have the potential to get you “there” a few seconds faster but was the “old one” really that bad? Probably not but you can’t put a price on the experience of being able to temporarily be more satisfied/having more peace of mind in the moment.

Last edited:

pegelli

If the m43 mount is not too big for its sensor then the Z mount is just fine for APS-C. :)
Did you notice the "wink" at the end of my sentence? It's mainly there because I couldn't find a "tongue in cheek" emoticon among the GetDPI standards. :salute:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Panasonic released the 2nd of the Lumix S videos today on YouTube. They don’t tell you much you probably didn’t already know but it’s nice to see they’re out in the “wild” being tested.

https://youtu.be/jgBRb21l5PE

They released this one last week in case you missed it.

https://youtu.be/s3tfyfqh_nY
Being committed to the L mount thru my Leica SL kit ...I am very interested in the high MP alternative being shown by Panasonic . To have 40-50Mps with the Leica L lenses is my interest .

These videos however don t do it for me . Nice to see the camera in use ..its real ... but the images presented just are not all that great to my eye . And i say that with a full understanding of the limitations of both the video and stage of development on the camera .

Would seem that professional quality products deserve professional photographs .

iiiNelson

I just 'discovered' that panasonic have stated they wont be making an L mount lens series for an apc camera....( which means Leica get to clip the ticket on Leica/panasonic lenses and Panasonic get to keep calling them that) - look slike Sigma will be the manufacturer that is free to make L mount alternatives for apc..

Pete - the Leica TL and CL (apc) series use the L mount - same as SL (35mm) .....same as Sony situation they have 'cleverly' engineered. Smart startegy on the part of Sony and others are only recently start to catch up...
I’m really hoping Sigma works with the developers of the major RAW converters for processing purposes because I think the requirement to use their clunky software hurt them in the end. At the very least they should work to allow their software to natively export to Capture One/Lightroom/etc.

iiiNelson

Being committed to the L mount thru my Leica SL kit ...I am very interested in the high MP alternative being shown by Panasonic . To have 40-50Mps with the Leica L lenses is my interest .

These videos however don t do it for me . Nice to see the camera in use ..its real ... but the images presented just are not all that great to my eye . And i say that with a full understanding of the limitations of both the video and stage of development on the camera .

Would seem that professional quality products deserve professional photographs .
I tend to agree but we are 3-6 months away from release and there’s likely little to no RAW support optimization for now. Also I don’t know where the YouTube compression hurts to a point of being a hamper so there’s too many factors to “kill it” IMO at this point... but again I agree that it’s seemingly not all that impressive in DR and IQ yet (and I’d argue that simply adding an off camera flash would’ve done wonders for the work that was presented as the people appeared to render incredibly flat though I supposed that could be adjusted in PP too). Maybe there are more videos to come and maybe it’s in the hands of a wider range of photographers to show a more diverse collection of work. They mentioned the sync speed of the camera in the press release announcement so perhaps a portrait session would be appropriate and they constantly mention lowlight performance so I’d like to see some event/concert photography examples as well. These are the things that’ll make me gain confidence in a CDAF based system... well other than actually getting it in my hands.

I have no doubt that it’ll get better but how much better is a real question. I expect them to let us know more in a few weeks at CES... at least I hope they do because it’s becoming a semi-forgotten camera in the minds of most people... though they seem to have gotten so much right in ergonomic design IMO. Hands down this is the best looking camera body (this side of the XH1 at least) for me personally and I’ve held them all to this point.

Last edited:
Probably not but you can’t put a price on the experience of being able to temporarily be more satisfied/having more peace of mind in the moment.
The price varies. It's usually the price of the new camera or lens or whatever GAS has induced you to purchase.

iiiNelson

Some more news on this cameras - for me especially interesting the high precision EVF close to human vision

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/panasonic-s1-s1r-rumors-and-specs-roundup/

at least this all sounds like photographers heaven :thumbs:
Yeah. Still the biggest factors in the commercial success of this product (IMO of course) will be price and AF performance compared to the competition. Canon and Nikon are reportedly working on their pro versions now and no one seemingly knows what Sony is quietly doing. Perhaps we will see A9 variants and pro cropped sensor body/lenses soon. Also they’re working to further improve their already excellent Hybrid AF system. I hope Panasonic insistence on CDAF only isn’t a death sentence because almost everything else about this camera seems “perfect” to me.

SrMphoto

Yeah. Still the biggest factors in the commercial success of this product (IMO of course) will be price and AF performance compared to the competition. Canon and Nikon are reportedly working on their pro versions now and no one seemingly knows what Sony is quietly doing. Perhaps we will see A9 variants and pro cropped sensor body/lenses soon. Also they’re working to further improve their already excellent Hybrid AF system. I hope Panasonic insistence on CDAF only isn’t a death sentence because almost everything else about this camera seems “perfect” to me.
Panasonic DFD-CDAF is quite competitive with PDAF, but works only with Panasonic lenses. Lack of on-sensor PDAF may have its advantages. We’ll see how well it works.

I still believe it is the lenses that are most important in a system, not bodies.

iiiNelson

Panasonic DFD-CDAF is quite competitive with PDAF, but works only with Panasonic lenses. Lack of on-sensor PDAF may have its advantages. We’ll see how well it works.

I still believe it is the lenses that are most important in a system, not bodies.
Well I understand HOW CDAF works but most Mirrorless Cameras use a hybrid system that incorporates BOTH PDAF and CDAF. My concern is performance in continuous AF modes and video tracking modes where Panasonic has developed a reputation for being behind the best of the competition (Sony and Canon currently). I’d still like to see them work on some sort of hybrid PDAF/CDAF based system for peace of mind but if the DFD2 doesn’t leave any performance on the table (particularly in lower light situations) then I’d be fine with it.

bensonga

Panasonic is officially releasing details and pricing on the S1 and S1R on February 1st (it was originally scheduled for today I think). Pictures, specs and estimated pricing is already being leaked on various sites. I was hoping we would have an L-Mount forum on GetDPI by now to share info about these new cameras/lenses and other L-mount developments from Sigma and Leica.

In the meantime, I was interested in a size comparison of the G9 and S1. Also the Leica SL and the Pana S1.

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/panasonic-g9-vs-panasonic-s1

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-sl-vs-panasonic-s1

Gary

Last edited: