The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with GX9

Agreed Ricardo,

But is it not always a compromise? Noise v detail.

When I do amdram I tend to think the actors like a slightly grainy effect when rehearsing. A bit like the old jazz club shots of Peterson, Gillespie and that ilk.

Maybe that particular shot suffers more from being a bit too light - mea culpa, too rushed.

For their stage stuff I clean it up a bit more. Here is the show:-

http://www.tonygamble.uk/Oh_What_Production/index.html

Tony

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With most of the photos I take, and many that I see in this thread, particularly those taken by Ricardo, I see "noise" or grain as a feature more than a defect. The noise in modern imaging sensor has come long way towards emulating film grain, and for many kinds of photography, I see that as an integrated element of an image. Not only does noise reduction often remove that "grain effect" and some detail, but it also removes the perceived detail that is often a result of noise or grain, particularly in b&w photos.

Digital noise has a long way to go before it raises to the level of Tri-X grain, and will possibly never get there, but it's getting better, and I have decided to enjoy it rather fight it, which is also one of the reasons why I mostly prefer a 4/3 sensor rather than a clinically noise free full frame one.

I understand that fashion, food and landscape photographers see this differently, but it's important to be aware of the different neds of different photographers when discussing this.

raist3d

Agreed Ricardo,

But is it not always a compromise? Noise v detail.

When I do amdram I tend to think the actors like a slightly grainy effect when rehearsing. A bit like the old jazz club shots of Peterson, Gillespie and that ilk.

Maybe that particular shot suffers more from being a bit too light - mea culpa, too rushed.

For their stage stuff I clean it up a bit more. Here is the show:-

http://www.tonygamble.uk/Oh_What_Production/index.html

Tony
Hey, first happy new year and sorry I am replying now!

So I agree in some degree with noise- but I think it can go well or less well depending on the shot. I think in this case the one you were showing could benefit from a modicum of noise cleanup, so that's why I was asking.

- Ricardo

raist3d

With most of the photos I take, and many that I see in this thread, particularly those taken by Ricardo, I see "noise" or grain as a feature more than a defect. The noise in modern imaging sensor has come long way towards emulating film grain, and for many kinds of photography, I see that as an integrated element of an image. Not only does noise reduction often remove that "grain effect" and some detail, but it also removes the perceived detail that is often a result of noise or grain, particularly in b&w photos.

Digital noise has a long way to go before it raises to the level of Tri-X grain, and will possibly never get there, but it's getting better, and I have decided to enjoy it rather fight it, which is also one of the reasons why I mostly prefer a 4/3 sensor rather than a clinically noise free full frame one.

I understand that fashion, food and landscape photographers see this differently, but it's important to be aware of the different neds of different photographers when discussing this.
Totally agree with you. I think often the grain/noise can give a certain sensuality and perception of detail. I agree. I think like you said it depends on the shot.-

- Ricardo

raist3d

Found this tonight walking at night. It was thrown out on the street along with some other clothing in a plastic box.

- Ricardo

hot

I like manual lenses, especially Kamlan, 7artisans, Meike, Kaxinda ...
Now I have ordered Kaxinda 25mm/0.95 - look these prices: SAME
lens, labeled as Meike :loco:

Ouch ...

Last edited:

hot

Red - red - red

Red, red, red - all photos out of camera, freehand, darkness, only 2 LED lights.

Fujian 50mm/1.4

Last edited: