The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First 43rd 20MP Sensor with Global Shutter from Sony

iiiNelson

These are for industrial applications but perhaps that means the photographic version are close similar to how the 1” industrial sensors tend to hint to the next generation of RX cameras.

Monochrom Micro 4/3 Cameras would be huge in desirability factor but a part of me is still waiting for FF fully software supported less expensive alternatives to the Leica M Monochrom cameras. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hasselblad (and maybe even Fuji) introduce Monochrom X-system Cameras in the next generation since Phase One seemingly abandoned cropped sensors in MF.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The sensor is 20MP in a square format, so would be around 15MP with 4:3 aspect ratio and just manage 4K with 16:9. A bigger problem though is that the sensor doesn't seem to accept oblique light, so telecentric lenses would be needed and/or an exit pupil to sensor distance of minimum 100mm.

It's another step on the way though :)

iiiNelson

The sensor is 20MP in a square format, so would be around 15MP with 4:3 aspect ratio and just manage 4K with 16:9. A bigger problem though is that the sensor doesn't seem to accept oblique light, so telecentric lenses would be needed and/or an exit pupil to sensor distance of minimum 100mm.

It's another step on the way though :)
...or microlenses to angle the light to hit the sensor at the correct angles towards the edges perhaps?

iiiNelson

By all means, but all this indicates strongly that this sensor needs some development still before it's ready for prime time.
Perhaps and I'm sure this specific sensor is designed for industrial uses. Sony is no stranger to microlenses though many of the uses thus far are specifically for their own camera systems.