The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That lens! 10-25mm f/1.7

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After doing some reading and thinking, I've found that this lens actually solves most limitations that m4/3 imposes on me, in addition to the fact that the zoom range isn't available for any full frame camera anyway. All those industrial shoots in dark settings with limited space to move around can now be done with one camera body and one lens instead of carrying multiple bodies or change lenses as needed. I'll most probably keep my two GX8 bodies for stills and get a GH5s for video. The reason for the GH5s is much better slow motion (240 fps at 1080p), less rolling shutter and much better low light video, particularly at high frame rates.

All in all, yesterday's announcements confirms Panasonic as a supplier that understands the needs of their users. I'm actually very impressed, not only by their new products but also by their attitude :thumbup:

iiiNelson

After doing some reading and thinking, I've found that this lens actually solves most limitations that m4/3 imposes on me, in addition to the fact that the zoom range isn't available for any full frame camera anyway. All those industrial shoots in dark settings with limited space to move around can now be done with one camera body and one lens instead of carrying multiple bodies or change lenses as needed. I'll most probably keep my two GX8 bodies for stills and get a GH5s for video. The reason for the GH5s is much better slow motion (240 fps at 1080p), less rolling shutter and much better low light video, particularly at high frame rates.

All in all, yesterday's announcements confirms Panasonic as a supplier that understands the needs of their users. I'm actually very impressed, not only by their new products but also by their attitude :thumbup:
I don’t know that this lens solves all the issues that come with using a smaller sensor in lowlight compared to a faster prime but it will likely be a great lens nonetheless. I think all suppliers understand the loudest customers needs - it’s those niche needs that tend to be more obscure. In any case I think most of the long time Mirrorless manufacturers are doing a better job than the old guard IMO but that’s just me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don’t know that this lens solves all the issues that come with using a smaller sensor in lowlight compared to a faster prime but it will likely be a great lens nonetheless. I think all suppliers understand the loudest customers needs - it’s those niche needs that tend to be more obscure. In any case I think most of the long time Mirrorless manufacturers are doing a better job than the old guard IMO but that’s just me.
It does because when standing on top of some large machinery, 5-8 metres above the factory floor, and I'm going to take photos and/or video of what goes on inside that machine and then assorted overviews of the factory, I need at least 2, sometimes 3 primes, which means bringing 2-3 bodies, each with one lens and each with a tripod mounting plate, since handheld video is mostly out of the question. With this lens, I don't need anything in addition, just one camera, one lens and one tripod.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am impressed as well! Their m43 lineup of cameras and lenses is second to none and I am actually thinking about getting a G9 sometime when there are great rebates. Also their lens lineup became more than intriguing and this new 10-25 lens is a killer lens anyway.

Adding to that one of their FF bodies and some speciality lenses that I need for FF and I am done. I mean really!

Great company and actually pretty comparable attitude to Fuji.

mediumcool

And there I was thinking that small size and light weight were significant advantages of the format! :loco:

iiiNelson

And there I was thinking that small size and light weight were significant advantages of the format! :loco:
Well they still are... this lens has a 77mm filter thread the new Canon RF 28-70/2 (not really an equal comparison) has a 95mm one. The lenses will always be smaller when comparing equal focal length equivalents and this is a unique 20-50mm equivalent. I guess the closest thing that I can think of to this would be the Leica MATE and even still that was a 28-35-50 equivalent.

mediumcool

Well they still are... this lens has a 77mm filter thread the new Canon RF 28-70/2 (not really an equal comparison) has a 95mm one. The lenses will always be smaller when comparing equal focal length equivalents and this is a unique 20-50mm equivalent. I guess the closest thing that I can think of to this would be the Leica MATE and even still that was a 28-35-50 equivalent.
Smaller? Why compare it with lenses for other camera formats? Last time I looked, this thread was posted on 4/3—try putting one in your pocket attached to a GM5. :shocked:

iiiNelson

Now we can dispense with "rumors" :
https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-...H-X1025.html#start=1&cgid=lumix-camera-lenses

The disclaimer about "splash / dust resistant" doesn't instill confidence --no following the E-M1x into the waterfall!

-d.
I don’t think that’s really the target of this lens. I think it’s directed more at the run and gun video crowd than that of the extreme sports crowd. That being said I’ve taken my “weather resistant” A7RII and Sony Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 on the boat at Niagara Falls and it’s still working fine nearly a year later after getting soaked (but not submerged).

Elderly

Oh dear ...... that's a very tempting lens;
I am a zoom person - and the f1.7 would be rather useful for me.

I can see my camera bag getting larger and heavier, and my bank balance smaller, and lighter (neither was my intention) :banghead:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oh dear ...... that's a very tempting lens;
I am a zoom person - and the f1.7 would be rather useful for me.

I can see my camera bag getting larger and heavier, and my bank balance smaller, and lighter (neither was my intention) :banghead:
Smaller bank balance? Is it supposed to be big? Are you sure? :ROTFL:

rapier84

Can't wait till the end of July. I got one on pre-order and hopefully the delivery timeline does not slip as I'd be making a trip to New Zealand soon after. Will do a quick comparison to my 12-35 mk 1 but I'm quite confident that this should be better :p

Paratom

I also think it is an interesting focal length range. Allthough again a lens destroying (big part of) the size advantage of m43.
I wonder how its IQ will compare to primes.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Gordon Laing has his review out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qZQRirRfE&feature=em-uploademail

While I watched (a great review IMO as always from Gordon) I just could not help myself thinking this lens is just much too big for me and for what m43 should offer in general. Yes, IQ seems to be great and comparable or better than prime lenses but I would not lug such a combo of a G5 or G9 around for long time with that lens attached.

So moving on, as this is definitely not the lens for me, not now and most probably not in the future.

Godfrey

I'm generally not a zoom guy, but this seems finally a good upgrade for what was always my favorite lens in FourThirds format, the Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 ED. The additional speed is useful with FT format, although it does carry a good bit of bulk as penalty.

Should be a nice piece. I'd buy one almost without thinking if I were still shooting with the E-M1... :D

G