The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That lens! 10-25mm f/1.7

Paratom

After more thinking about pros and cons I decided to give this lens a chance.
The last decision factor was how it would balance on my G9, and in the end the lens felt less heavy than it looked on the images - and IMO balances fine on the G9.
The focal length range is very useful for my application and with the wider end than a normal midrange zoom and the faster f-stop and the round apparture I expect that it gives me some interesting benefits over a normal midrange zoom. The G9 with this lens is not a compact, but the G9 isnt a compact anyways.

Attachments

Aristophanes

Gordon Laing has his review out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qZQRirRfE&feature=em-uploademail

While I watched (a great review IMO as always from Gordon) I just could not help myself thinking this lens is just much too big for me and for what m43 should offer in general. Yes, IQ seems to be great and comparable or better than prime lenses but I would not lug such a combo of a G5 or G9 around for long time with that lens attached.

So moving on, as this is definitely not the lens for me, not now and most probably not in the future.
It's designed primarily for video, to be glued to GH5s and their descendants. The speed, focus mechanism, rings, etc., are all video-centric all the way. The mass, too, where stability and gimbal balance are paramount.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's designed primarily for video, to be glued to GH5s and their descendants. The speed, focus mechanism, rings, etc., are all video-centric all the way. The mass, too, where stability and gimbal balance are paramount.
Reassuring that this lens is not for me - I am more a photographer than a videographer :cool:

Paratom

Well, a round apparture with good bokeh, a nice ring for f-stop and a nice mechanical focusing dont hurt me as someone who does much more photography and only occasional movie/video.
But one has really to be fine with the fact and to accept that it is not a small (and not a cheap) lens. So I fully understand it is not for everybody.