Site Sponsors
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: New Olympus High End m43 Camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Olympus High End m43 Camera

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    No surprises there really. The only Mirrorless camera that meets or exceeds the performance of the top tier Canon and Nikon bodies is the Sony A9. Olympus wouldíve needed to completely revamp their AF system and possibly incorporate a newer sensor to compete in all reality.

I think Olympus will still have a niche for those that want a smaller system that can still do nearly everything pretty well... just not as well as the flagships. This would be especially true for outdoors and nature photographers that want a rugged body with good battery life that incorporates smaller lenses with a lot of telephoto reach. It may be a great camera for you still if you arenít doing a lot of action based sports... I think people just need to manage expectations... pricing concerns aside. Thatís really the biggest negative it seems for this camera... $3k buys you most cameras and $5k (with a few lenses) makes it a hard sell to attract people outside the Olympus ecosystem.
    Thanks Tre. A9

Olympus needs to put out a camera with A9 performance.
    A9 with FW 5.0 is even better than before. Amazing performance.
    Next up FW 6.0.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Tre. A9

Olympus needs to put out a camera with A9 performance.
    A9 with FW 5.0 is even better than before. Amazing performance.
    Next up FW 6.0.
    No one has put out a camera like the A9 and if I were Sony itís a line of sensors I would NOT sell to the competition until the next generation had a tangible significant advantage over the older version. Iím still holding out that Sony introduces the pro body that I want.

Got a few concerns about the Lumix S processing capability in that the AF can be overloaded in video if using and external device to record onto. Perhaps this is something that can be corrected in firmware updates for algorithm efficiency but I wonder if the decision to maintain CDAF/DFD based AF is a great long term decision years from now or if itíll require an upgraded body within the next year or two based on whatever the competition releases. I still love what Panasonic is doing and I still believe they are Sonyís most direct competition based on their ability to do both excellent photo, video, and lens design in a Mirrorless system. Iím personally am a bit conflicted because I have my decisions narrowed down to these two brands and no other brand (other than potentially Fuji) is remotely in the conversation for me for a system of choice.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw this video yesterday comparing the flagship Sony and Nikon bodies. The conclusion is that they can all get the shot. It’s really down to what’s most important to you. The guy is a Nikon shooter but had users of all brands at his workshop.

https://youtu.be/NredbHXAARY

If Sony maintains the sales strategy with the A9 as they have the A7 once the new model comes out as a less expensive pro option that may shake things up even more. The A9 has been sold new in retail for $3500 for the better part of the last 6 months or so. If they maintain that or get closer to the $3k mark the. EVERYONE would need to drop their prices... if the rumors of an A9II coming this fall merit any truth.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After all these evolutions we have seen from Olympus (EM1X) as well as Sony (A9, A9II, FW updates) and Panasonic (S1/S1R and the potential of the L-mount) I must say I am even more underwhelmed now by what Olympus offers with the EM1X. Kind of crazy to buy such a camera for such a prize - even if fully invested in the Olympus m43 system like I am.

I am getting tired of all these trials to make m43 and especially the EM1X shine - no comparison to the many years old DLSRs like D5, D500 and D1X2 it actually was built by Olympus to compete, but even less comparable to something like the A9/A9II and the S1,S1/R - at least for my type of shooting. This is mainly erratic subject (kids) with C-AF as well as wildlife (also erratic) combined with great high ISO capabilities (well only FF will deliver) as well as portrait shooting (again FF is a big advantage because of high ISO and DOF). And finally that Olympus EVF in the EM1X is simply a joke for the current state of the art possible - looking at Panasonic with 5.7MP AND 120 fps AND OLED!!!!!

I am even coming to the point that I start finding it useless to keep my old M lenses (at least only keep a small number of them) and rather switch to much more capable modern native mirrorless lenses from whatever mount (Sony or Panasonic for that matter).

Brings me to my temporary final conclusion:

1) closely watch what Sony is doing with their A9II or A9 and maybe get one of these cameras with the G-Master 100-400 and 2-3 more G-master lenses. And say goodbye to Leica M.

2) closely watch how the L-mount is evolving around the Panasonic S1/S1R in combination with native Panasonic or Sigma lenses. And adapt maybe 1 or 2 M-mount lenses I have while selling the rest.

3) definitely stop further investing in m43 (especially Olympus) and wait till I find a way to sell off most of that system at a good prize.

This is where I am currently in my photographic/videographic evolution - whoever is interested in that, if not just ignore my ramblings!

And I want to say I do definitely not want to step on anybodies toes with these thoughts, but this is what turns out to be most likely my future and where I might go from today - else something totally unexpected happens - who ever knows?
    Last edited by ptomsu; 25th April 2019 at 12:20.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    After all these evolutions we have seen from Olympus (EM1X) as well as Sony (A9, A9II, FW updates) and Panasonic (S1/S1R and the potential of the L-mount) I must say I am even more underwhelmed now by what Olympus offers with the EM1X. Kind of crazy to buy such a camera for such a prize - even if fully invested in the Olympus m43 system like I am.

I am getting tired of all these trials to make m43 and especially the EM1X shine - no comparison to the many years old DLSRs like D5, D500 and D1X2 it actually was built by Olympus to compete, but even less comparable to something like the A9/A9II and the S1,S1/R - at least for my type of shooting. This is mainly erratic subject (kids) with C-AF as well as wildlife (also erratic) combined with great high ISO capabilities (well only FF will deliver) as well as portrait shooting (again FF is a big advantage because of high ISO and DOF). And finally that Olympus EVF in the EM1X is simply a joke for the current state of the art possible - looking at Panasonic with 5.7MP AND 120 fps AND OLED!!!!!

I am even coming to the point that I start finding it useless to keep my old M lenses (at least only keep a small number of them) and rather switch to much more capable modern native mirrorless lenses from whatever mount (Sony or Panasonic for that matter).

1) closely watch what Sony is doing with their A9II or A9 and maybe get one of these cameras with the G-Master 100-400 and 2-3 more G-master lenses. And say goodbye to Leica M.

2) closely watch how the L-mount is evolving around the Panasonic S1/S1R in combination with native Panasonic or Sigma lenses. And adapt maybe 1 or 2 M-mount lenses I have while selling the rest.

3) definitely stop further investing in m43 (especially Olympus) and wait till I find a way to sell off most of that system at a good prize.

This is where I am currently in my photographic/videographic evolution - whoever is interested in that, if not just ignore my ramblings!

And I want to say I do definitely not want to step on anybodies toes with these thoughts, but this is what turns out to be most likely my future and where I might go from today - else something totally unexpected happens - who ever knows?
    Thanks Peter. Olympus has some absolutely fabulous lenses.
    Too bad they don't have an equally riveting camera to use them on.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Allthough I understand where you're coming from I would keep a few good Olympus lenses you currently have.

Just imagine "what if" the rumoured EM1mark3 has a better EVF and sensor, but is specced below the EM1X in the AF department (but above the EM1mark2) and reasonable priced inbetween the mark2 and the X.
    Wouldn't you be sorry to have to reacquire the lenses you would need for such a camera?

Just my $ 0,05, or in other words it would be what I would do if I had an Olympus system today.
    My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Olympus knows their market but at some point you as a consumer just have to question if you are still their target. That was my main reasoning for exiting Leica. I loved my M9ís (despite the QA/QC sensor issues) but I didnít like the direction they were going at the time. Some of their decisions seem to have been rectified with the introduction of the M10 and the L-Mount Alliance. All of that being said I canít see myself seriously investing in Canon because they have upmarket products to protect and itís a real problem felt by existing Canon owner s that I know... a problem that doesnít look to be solved anytime soon as I believe Canon is looking to push further upmarket to offset losses in a shifting consumer market. Fuji is cool. Nikon is borderline interesting for some but their cameras have never felt ďrightĒ to me even though I tried on several occasions to like them. In any case theyíre capable but I think thatís true of pretty much every brand now.

As for Sony... Iím invested in them but I offloaded some stuff last year. Iím kind of in limbo with them. I want to continue to love them but I also REALLY like the idea of the L-Mount Alliance as well. Time will tell for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Allthough I understand where you're coming from I would keep a few good Olympus lenses you currently have.

Just imagine "what if" the rumoured EM1mark3 has a better EVF and sensor, but is specced below the EM1X in the AF department (but above the EM1mark2) and reasonable priced inbetween the mark2 and the X.
    Wouldn't you be sorry to have to reacquire the lenses you would need for such a camera?

Just my $ 0,05, or in other words it would be what I would do if I had an Olympus system today.
    I think the EM1x and EM1mk2 have the same AF system. I think the EM1X has an additional processor to handle the algorithm based focusing like animal and object based recognition (A.I. and ďdeep learningĒ in marketing speak).

Post Thanks / Like

I think the EM1x and EM1mk2 have the same AF system. I think the EM1X has an additional processor to handle the algorithm based focusing like animal and object based recognition (A.I. and ďdeep learningĒ in marketing speak).
    This is exactly true and this is one of the issues I have with that camera. That sensor including AF system is exactly the same WRT hardware, it only has a new better coating and they try to improve that by throwing crazy processing power on top in order to make AF more fancy and fast as well as make IQ a bit better (maybe) by even more processing. And then mount that into a larger body and cash 3k for that construct.

Sorry but that is not what I had waited for and expected. Only issue is that my patience with Olympus is coming really to an end ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly true and this is one of the issues I have with that camera. That sensor including AF system is exactly the same WRT hardware, it only has a new better coating and they try to improve that by throwing crazy processing power on top in order to make AF more fancy and fast as well as make IQ a bit better (maybe) by even more processing. And then mount that into a larger body and cash 3k for that construct.

Sorry but that is not what I had waited for and expected. Only issue is that my patience with Olympus is coming really to an end ....
    Yeah I think it would be an easier sell at $1500-2000 give or take but maybe theyíre factoring in the lower production volume into the costs. I donít get Olympusí direction if Iím being honest but I never really have in the digital age outside of the nostalgia of the PEN & OMD Cameras. I think theyíre capable but not really for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go charge up my E-1, fit the 50-200 plus 1.4x Extender, and make some photographs. At 16 years old, it still makes some of the most beautiful photographs I've seen out of anything.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tried the E-M1X today. Fantastic camera, excellent ergonomics. My only complaint is that I can't reach the review button when holding the camera with one hand.... ah... and the price

Post Thanks / Like

Post from an appreciative plane photographer on another forum I frequent.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50506
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think it would be an easier sell at $1500-2000 give or take but maybe ...
    In the newest B&H Photo/Video catalogue (I just found) the price of the E-M1X & E-M1.2(gripless) are equal at $1700 (written, of course, as "1,699").
    Yet in an on-line price check, I see "$2,999" & "1,499 ($200 savings)", respectively. !? Time to jump on a printed-paper typo?! (Well, on scrutiny, I see the small-type order-# for both --in print-- as "OLEM12" so that explains the mistaken printed price for the new body. Still, it IS so advertised, in tangible material!)

-d.

Post Thanks / Like

Review now up on dpreview. It got a solid silver. And if anyone thinks the EVF is too far behind the curve, the reviewer disagrees (the engineering decision behind it works well). IMHO, Olympus need to deliver two things to this camera, via firmware update: i) normal C-AF improved a little and ii) more AI modes in addition to planes (which some users report work well for BIFs), trains and automobiles.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO this dpreview review of the EM1X shows very clearly the weaknesses and flaws of it's design concept and it's designers - unfortunately on more levels than expected - the most disappointing one being AF-C.

This camera and this review gives me one confidence - just to speak in Olympus own marketing language - the confidence that THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA FOR ME!

And this from a person who really likes his EM1.2 and pro lenses!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMO this dpreview review of the EM1X shows very clearly the weaknesses and flaws of it's design concept and it's designers - unfortunately on more levels than expected - the most disappointing one being AF-C.

This camera and this review gives me one confidence - just to speak in Olympus own marketing language - the confidence that THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA FOR ME!

And this from a person who really likes his EM1.2 and pro lenses!
    It's the camera for me, but unfortunately not for my wallet. I have tried it. It's a camera with very few limitations and with rock solid ergonomics. The problem is that I can buy a G9 and a GH5 for the same price.

After reading the manual and discussing with a couple of owners, there are a couple of niggles that I hope they'll fix with a firmware upgrade, particularly if they can introduce Panasonic's elegant solution for switching between EVF and LCD by just folding out the LCD and being able to review photos in the EVF. If anybody has found a way to solve this, please speak up.

I don't buy cameras from reading spec sheets anymore, and even reviews have their limitations. Still, I've read dpr's conclusion, and I'm actually surprised to see how positive it is. It's not a camera for everyone, but for somebody who is now sitting, 4 o' clock in the morning after arriving from Bangkok an hour ago, at the crappy domestic lounge of NAIA's terminal 2, waiting for a flight to General Santos City to inspect a broken fishmeal plant and have meetings with its owners, in spite of believing less than 24 hours ago that I would spend this week in the office, a camera like this is a pretty ideal proposition. I need something that always works, and that has few limitations. That includes cameras and credit cards

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A friend of mine (Dan) is a long time m43 owner (mostly Olympus cameras/lenses, including the E-M1.1 and E-M1.2, but also some Panasonic cameras/lenses). He shoots a lot of BIF (also with Canon DSLRs, big Canon telephoto zooms/primes and more recently the Sony A9/A7rIII and Sony telephotos). Dan very recently bought a E-M1X and shared some of his early results with me this morning. He gave me permission to share the photos on GetDPI, with the caveat that he is still deciding how to "optimally configure the camera settings". Dan wrote the following "I was pretty impressed with the head-on BIF shots, but the A9 is probably even faster."

Here is the link to his photos from Oyster Point along San Francisco Bay. It includes a couple of closeups and several BIF images:
    http://biodan.org/pix25/OysterPoint/M1X_tests.html

Gary
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried the EM1X as well myself and while it is a great camera to hold I was definitely not impressed by the EVF and the lack of a top LCD which would come in very handy for me in several situations and became a standard on most high end cameras by today. Also there is enough room to have one on this camera. I also of course tried the AF and AF-C and while it is faster and more accurate than the EM1.2 for general usage it is not that much better - at least for me.

As a many years EM1 and EM1.2 shooter I know these cameras and all their quirks and menus and handling in and out that allows me to judge the EM1X pretty well, but for me WRT operation and functionality there is not really much difference to the EM1.2 - at least not enough to justify this costly upgrade. While it is marginally better in some disciplines the size, EVF and also the prize makes me not want to buy one especially if I can get an A9 or S1R now for not much more money and even get the advantages of FF.

This makes me confident not to own this camera!

I am confident I would buy an EM1.3 immediately if it comes with real improvements in EVF and sensor though - and maybe global shutter - well one can still have dreams .....
    Last edited by ptomsu; 8th May 2019 at 00:19.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Lately some great real world reviews about that camera are coming in like this one ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MG6GpkubvY

or this one - perfect for Vlogging?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=255kiEmGpnw

Depending on how I look at this camera it sometimes starts becoming really appealing

Should I own one - not sure yet.
    Last edited by ptomsu; 19th May 2019 at 06:20.