The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

k-hawinkler

I hear you and this is also reflected by latest interviews - see link below

https://photofocus.com/2018/10/30/e...yMyY1eCTZrspLlf6X5gK3VTHx5lb_RztnGF4ybpEsQ3zA

I am not keen about more MP but I am keen about all the other features you mentioned of course. Although a few more MP would be always nice IMHO ...

PS: I fully agree WRT the Fuji X-H2 but for me and others fully invested in m43 this will not be the trigger to switch. Of course if one starts from the scratch then maybe as soon as the X-H2 is available I would choose Fuji. But having m43 already I would only move to FF if I leave.

BTW - a thread is nothing worth without pictures - this one taken today with EM1.2 and 4/300 PRO plus TC1.4 - of course handheld

2018-10-30_0020.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr
Thanks Peter.
I have already such a fine collection of MFT lenses, only need to add some more f/1.2 lenses.
It took some time and effort to assemble those.
No way for me to get rid of that resource. Those lenses are keepers. Period!

The E-M1.2 was such a wonderful advance over previous incarnations in this series.
For me the first mirrorless camera, basically absent of annoying focus hunting.
The only thing that really bothers me is the too low sensor readout time of 1/60 s.
Of course I would also appreciate a better EVF, blackout free shooting, and the rest of the anticipated improvements.

What makes my Olympus gear so useful to me is IBIS and the 300/4 Pro.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter.
I have already such a fine collection of MFT lenses, only need to add some more f/1.2 lenses.
It took some time and effort to assemble those.
No way for me to get rid of that resource. Those lenses are keepers. Period!

The E-M1.2 was such a wonderful advance over previous incarnations in this series.
For me the first mirrorless camera, basically absent of annoying focus hunting.
The only thing that really bothers me is the too low sensor readout time of 1/60 s.
Of course I would also appreciate a better EVF, blackout free shooting, and the rest of the anticipated improvements.

What makes my Olympus gear so useful to me is IBIS and the 300/4 Pro.
Somehow exactly what I feel! I was close to sell all my m43 gear and get into the Nikon Z system (with some F mount lenses) and this is a great FF system but trying it with having the AF performance and speed of my EM1.2 with PRO lenses in mind I decided to stay away from that decision. Now I hope for a really great High End Olympus. Anyway I am in waiting mode and will not sell anything now! And YES the 4/300 PRO is such a stellar lens that I would always regret of selling it - so it stays as the 2.8/40-150 and the 2.8/12-40. Even may add that 4/12-100 next year as travel lens ....

f what you mentioned comes somehow true I will be more than happy!

I can't see stepping down in sensor size. I currently have the Fuji XE2/XT2 and am thinking instead of moving up to the GFX50R, bypassing FF altogether. I don't use long lenses for my work.

k-hawinkler

I can't see stepping down in sensor size. I currently have the Fuji XE2/XT2 and am thinking instead of moving up to the GFX50R, bypassing FF altogether. I don't use long lenses for my work.
Why not keep what you have and add the 50R?
I just did that with the GFX 50S. :thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would stay with Fuji and while waiting for the X-H2 which will obviously offer all advances of the X-T3 PLUS IBIS, also add a Fuji MFD camera. I think that is the best you can do with what you have/require. If I would be invested in Fuji X instead of m43 this would be my way to go.

iiiNelson

Yeah I saw that and him constantly revisiting this topic makes me feel like it’s attracting a lot of views for him. I think this is the 5th video or so on the subject mentioning his views since around mid September.

He’s either trolling, projecting his wishes, or is just promoting sensationalized views. In his examples products that get “killed off” usually only donwhen there’s a lateral upgrade such as Leica dropping the R (when they already had the M) to develop the S, Canon FD to EF, 4/3 being killed for Micro 4/3, or Sony slowing development of the A mount for E mount... all lateral moves with improved capability in mind with the newer systems.

Development MAY slow on Micro 4/3 (with Panasonic) but the system is largely built out already with the vast majority of lenses a person would want/need. The there’s thebreality that the systems are complementary. Also his statements on aperture values and DoF are extremely misleading for uneducated photographers wanting to learn. No you’ll never be able to match DoF with FF cameras but at times that may be desired to ensure you get the shot with equivalent metering.

Development MAY slow on Micro 4/3 (with Panasonic) but the system is largely built out already with the vast majority of lenses a person would want/need. The there’s thebreality that the systems are complementary. Also his statements on aperture values and DoF are extremely misleading for uneducated photographers wanting to learn. No you’ll never be able to match DoF with FF cameras but at times that may be desired to ensure you get the shot with equivalent metering.
When you have fleshed out the lens lineup, the only thing left is to continually upgrade then sensor. I really don't see that happening much.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Pure speculation and click bait. The ILC market is still totally dominated by crop sensors, and for many good reasons. And Fuji, should they close down too then. Their X-Series is a crop sensor and their medium format G-Series is a crop medium format sensor.

It's not a problem finding full frame combos that are as small and light as "equivalent" m4/3 or APS-C solutions. I did that myself recently with the Nikkor 300mm PF as an example. But when it comes to total system size, it's a totally different story. I have some very good m4/3 lenses that weigh little more than 100g and will disappear in any pocket. I can walk around the city with a small shoulder bag containing a camera body and a few lenses with a reach from 16mm fisheye to 600mm telephoto eqv. weighing in at under 2kg. Yes, the eqv. f/stop will be smaller than with full frame, but so what? There's dual IS and sensors we could only dream about ten years ago that help me achieve my results. My photos come out just fine, and they sell to customers worldwide through stock agencies, so the quality is apparently good enough.

With m4/3, f/4 is the new f/8, and f/8 was what many photographer shot at back in the film days, with "fast" 100 or 160 ISO film.

And then his silly comparison between the Zuiko 300mm and Nikkor 600mm which he claims is so much better. Better in what way and for whom? Sharper? Hardly. Shallower depth of field? Probably. Would he carry his big Nikkor when climbing some mountain top in the Andes or kayaking in the Swedish archipelago? I certainly wouldn't. I'm not that stupid.

The man apparently needs to produce new videos to get money from his sponsor (Square Space), so that is what he does. That is what drives the Yutube heroes: Money!

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I also found his T. Northrops comparisons between FF and m43 misleading at least. Especially when it comes to long focal lengths like the Olympus 4/300 PRO the DOF gets already so small that it is pretty hard to see much difference to maybe a 4/600 Nikon FF. But I guess the 300 is sharper anyway as it is better corrected and has more design options built in. Maybe in a few years a new Nikkor S 4/600 for the Z-mount would be up to the quality level of today's 4/300 but then for sur it will be at least twice as big and much heavier.

Anyway the critical factor for m43 will be what becomes possible with next generation sensors. The sweet spot for me (and many others I guess) are 24MP and when this ic combined with handheld high res shooting while still improving high ISO performance and DR (should be possible with a true BSI m43 sensor based on similar technology as in the Sony A9 that should offer almost all what is needed in terms of resolution, IQ and speed.

The next few months should be pretty interesting.

Just went to a museum today with my daughter carrying the EM1.2 with the little 1.8/17 (I love that lens for its small size and speed it offers) and the results are absolutely stunning although it was very dark inside

the first shot at ISO 2000

2018-11-01_0010.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

next shot at ISO 5000

2018-11-01_0020.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

The combo was so small that it fitted in my smallest bag (Cosyspeed) and the weight was almost not noticeable. The Z7 with the new 1.8/35 would have been substantially larger, especially the lens but DOF would not look too different. Also noise is pretty well controlled IMHO, sure the Z7 would have an advantage in that area but I really can live with what I am getting!

V

Vivek

Peter, I don’t know about your camera but hers looks perfect. This is a great age/time. Enjoy before she grows up (they do, too quickly!)!

iiiNelson

Pure speculation and click bait. The ILC market is still totally dominated by crop sensors, and for many good reasons. And Fuji, should they close down too then. Their X-Series is a crop sensor and their medium format G-Series is a crop medium format sensor.

It's not a problem finding full frame combos that are as small and light as "equivalent" m4/3 or APS-C solutions. I did that myself recently with the Nikkor 300mm PF as an example. But when it comes to total system size, it's a totally different story. I have some very good m4/3 lenses that weigh little more than 100g and will disappear in any pocket. I can walk around the city with a small shoulder bag containing a camera body and a few lenses with a reach from 16mm fisheye to 600mm telephoto eqv. weighing in at under 2kg. Yes, the eqv. f/stop will be smaller than with full frame, but so what? There's dual IS and sensors we could only dream about ten years ago that help me achieve my results. My photos come out just fine, and they sell to customers worldwide through stock agencies, so the quality is apparently good enough.

With m4/3, f/4 is the new f/8, and f/8 was what many photographer shot at back in the film days, with "fast" 100 or 160 ISO film.

And then his silly comparison between the Zuiko 300mm and Nikkor 600mm which he claims is so much better. Better in what way and for whom? Sharper? Hardly. Shallower depth of field? Probably. Would he carry his big Nikkor when climbing some mountain top in the Andes or kayaking in the Swedish archipelago? I certainly wouldn't. I'm not that stupid.

The man apparently needs to produce new videos to get money from his sponsor (Square Space), so that is what he does. That is what drives the Yutube heroes: Money!
Exactly and the reality that so many people aren’t seeing is that there’s room for both (provided you can afford to maintain multiple systems). You can’t fully change or cheat physics and sharpness is only one aspect of the quality of a lens.

Panasonic is marketing the Lumix S to a completely different target customer (though there may be some overlap) by initially making a dedicated set of cameras for pro portrait and hybrid photographers.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Panasonic is marketing the Lumix S to a completely different target customer (though there may be some overlap) by initially making a dedicated set of cameras for pro portrait and hybrid photographers.
Yes, which is one of the reasons why they made the camera bodies so large. If you want small, buy m4/3. Panasonic is the largest company currently involved in photography and video, larger than Sony and more than twice as big as Canon. They will have no problems handling two systems.

iiiNelson

Yes, which is one of the reasons why they made the camera bodies so large. If you want small, buy m4/3. Panasonic is the largest company currently involved in photography and video, larger than Sony and more than twice as big as Canon. They will have no problems handling two systems.
Well of course... if smaller companies like Fuji (APS-C/MF) or Leica (APS-C/FF/MF) can do it then Panasonic likely isn’t worried about R&D costs which are likely shared amongst partners.

Of course the internal question would be how their budget or budget is going to be allocated amongst the divisions of the company.

bensonga

How often have we heard that such and such a format or company is dead?

Film is dead, 35mm is dead, medium format is dead, DSLRs are dead, Leica is dead, Olympus is dead, Hasselblad is dead etc. I'm so tired of it.

I continue to find good uses for my cameras and lenses in many different formats etc, both film and digital.

If m43 is ever truly "dead", my Panasonic GX8/G9 etc, Olympus EM1.1 and the many outstanding m43 lenses I love to use will confirm there is life after "death".

Regardless of what Tony Northrup thinks about the future of m43, I'll be using my m43 cameras and lenses for many years to come, especially when I need a compact system for travel etc. I haven't found a system in any other format which delivers the image quality I desire in a comparably compact size at all focal lengths.

I have no doubt that my m43 cameras and lenses will "outlive" me.

Sorry for the rant.

Gary