The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Also poset in "Small Sensor Cameras, but I think it fits here as well -

I just stumbled over this video and it impressively shows what computational photography can already achieve today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=v3m81493kTM

And it will get even better - so I predict that the camera companies that will survive will be those that use how to better and more user friendly process in SW (AI) and deliver the right results.

I do hope Olympus will be leading in that area and show all that FF craziness what truly is needed!

At least some food for thought ....

V

Vivek

Thus far, only the GH5s has a Sony BSI EXMOR R sensor.

This is one direction the future 43 cams can take. Make use of the BSI sensors for enhanced light capture.

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. What are his main points?
The video is too verbose for me! :banghead:
Sorry.
Essentially there’s room for multiple formats and the idea that a cellphone could replace Micro 4/3 would mean it’s a threat to all system cameras. Same thing as most of the other measured responses.

They had had some interesting takes on the new Mirrorless cameras (which I’ve brought in the past) which essentially question - outside of “brand loyalty” why stay with brand X or Y when essentially you’ll want to replace legacy lenses anyway with native ones. Having a large lens collection becomes moot when you eventually trade in those old EF or F mount lenses for newer RF or Z mount ones at an even larger loss than you’d take today when more people see the benefit of Mirrorless cameras. This is where being an early enough adopter helps the user if you’ve decided that Mirrorless is the direction you want to go - but will dealers even take your old lenses (if you sell them) after they have an abundance of them?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Podcast that discusses the “death of Micro 4/3” from Panasonic’s perspective.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/this-week-in-photo-twip/id989649712?mt=2&i=1000423087645
If m4/3 dies, it's because their marketing isn't good enough. Fuji's marketing is a million times better, and their cameras aren't much bigger, although most of them lack IBIS. Many people also like the cool retro design of the Fuji cameras, which is very well integrated with the design of their lenses. The fact that smart phones in many cases replace cameras shows that sensor size isn't really a priority by most amateur users. And still, Fuji isn't the biggest threat.

I had a look at the CIPA statistics for September. Here are some interesting facts, and they are obviously due to the new products launched at PhotoKina:

For September alone,
- In Japan, more mirrorless cameras were sold than DSLR, value and units.
- In Europe, more DSLR cameras were sold than mirrorless, but the value of the mirrorless cameras was higher.
- In the Americas, more DSLR cameras were sold than mirrorless, value and units. In this market in September, more than twice as many DSLR cameras were sold compared to mirrorless, and YTD more than 3 times as many DSLR cameras were sold.

It will be interesting to see how this develops over time, but my guess is that DSLR cameras will re-gain ground as soon as the early adopters of the new Nikon and Canon bodies have bought their gear. The biggest competion to m4/3 does not come from full frame mirrorless cameras, it comes from cheap DSLR bodies, "real cameras" in many people's mind.

Real cameras are supposed to say "click-clack" when you take a photo, didn't you know? Even smart phone manufacturers know that. ;)

Mirrorless doesn't really have an answer to the Canikon camera and two lens kit for $499 at Costco, so it skews the numbers in favor of DSLRs in the US.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Mirrorless doesn't really have an answer to the Canikon camera and two lens kit for $499 at Costco, so it skews the numbers in favor of DSLRs in the US.
That too. I was test driving a car a few days ago, a Mazda 2 diesel. The 1.5 litre diesel version is more frugal than the 1.3 litre petrol version, and much faster, particularly with a few people and luggage onboard. So I asked the sales woman if they sold many with diesel engine. The answer was "No, it's a better car with more equipment and it's more economical, but it's $3,000 more expensive than the petrol version, and people are used to petrol engines in passenger cars.".

Most people drive Toyota Corolla and use DSLR cameras, except in Japan :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

If m4/3 dies, it's because their marketing isn't good enough. Fuji's marketing is a million times better, and their cameras aren't much bigger, although most of them lack IBIS. Many people also like the cool retro design of the Fuji cameras, which is very well integrated with the design of their lenses. The fact that smart phones in many cases replace cameras shows that sensor size isn't really a priority by most amateur users. And still, Fuji isn't the biggest threat.

I had a look at the CIPA statistics for September. Here are some interesting facts, and they are obviously due to the new products launched at PhotoKina:

For September alone,
- In Japan, more mirrorless cameras were sold than DSLR, value and units.
- In Europe, more DSLR cameras were sold than mirrorless, but the value of the mirrorless cameras was higher.
- In the Americas, more DSLR cameras were sold than mirrorless, value and units. In this market in September, more than twice as many DSLR cameras were sold compared to mirrorless, and YTD more than 3 times as many DSLR cameras were sold.

It will be interesting to see how this develops over time, but my guess is that DSLR cameras will re-gain ground as soon as the early adopters of the new Nikon and Canon bodies have bought their gear. The biggest competion to m4/3 does not come from full frame mirrorless cameras, it comes from cheap DSLR bodies, "real cameras" in many people's mind.

Real cameras are supposed to say "click-clack" when you take a photo, didn't you know? Even smart phone manufacturers know that. ;)
What are you talking about? Did you listen to the podcast? It’s not talking about Fuji at all - it’s talking about how there’s room for Full Frame and Cropped sensors... and how literally every company except Olympus supports multiple sensor sizes.